The Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Hard to tell because it wasn't her best performance, although it wasn't a poor performance. I think the LP will answer that question.

I just realized that I really want Ashley to win the gold tonight, and not just barely make the team. I hope she will hit it out of the ball park so all those who follow her will have to surpass that. I still want Mirai to make the team too, so she too will have to skate great.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely. Check the thread in GSD about Ashley "making another statement." I won't repeat here my diatribe, but seriously the backhanded pr tweet by USFS that "... we have no problem with Ashley Wagner's comments," actually wouldn't have needed to be put out there if indeed they really didn't have a problem. It's total bullshit pr spin.

Case in point, although there wasn't as much "message-sending" in the all over the place marks for the men, there was at least one very obvious message IMO that was sent to Josh Farris with that 74+. Josh apparently has said, "I have an opinion on the anti-gay law in Russia, but I've been advised not to express it." His score was a slap-back for his even making that non-comment, especially given how much better Josh skated in the sp than Doug Razzano and Adam Rippon. misskarne must be livid about Josh's score vs what the other men received. :mad: ETA: I see that Josh 's score has been upgraded by 4 pts, which is at least a bit more in line with how well he skated aside from the wacky bobbles on footwork.

No matter what happens, I really hope Ashley, Mirai and Joshua step it up and shine in the fp, and speak with their blades on the ice, since they really aren't allowed to speak their minds.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe she should just concentrate on the skating. Maybe speak her mine after the competition is over.

4. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I am certainly no expert, but other than the dodgy landing on the 2 toe for Ashley, was Mirai really better? Yes, Mirai showed more life than usual, but Ashley is far more compelling. Were Mirai's spins that much better to put her over Ashley? I realize Mirai had the 3/3 toe, but overall, she looks lackluster next to Ashley.

5. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

What you're mentioning was noted in the components which Ashley beat Mirai on by like 3-4 points.. Mirai got level 4 on all her spins and footwork, where Ashley had her combo issue plus got a level 3 on her FW sequence.. If Ashley does how she's been doing all year in the Fskate, she will make the team.

6. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I see. She's really not that far back and should come out strong tonight.

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I don't agree that Mirai looked lackluster. Did you see the replay on NBC? Mirai did smile a few times throughout her performance and she also skated with a look of sheer determination on her face. I feel Mirai was fairly scored, but that Gracie and Polina were somewhat over-scored.

It is quite clear that Polina is special and she does have the goods, so yes she deserved to break 60 pts, but not by that much in her senior debut. Polina skated with no pressure, except that of her own high expectations.

It is rough out there and it isn't an easy sport to judge, especially under IJS. So, Ashley has more work to do, and okay, Just Do It, Ashley!

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

My heart just broke for Ashley. Please put her on the podium judges!

9. socksthecat

socksthecat New Member

Oh Ashley! :(

10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

She'd better get selected for the Olympics even if she finishes 4th. She has more than earned the trip. She was just so devastated. :(

11. smarts1

Ashley Cain isn't skating well, so only 3 more left!

12. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

All of these sad ladies...it's been tough. But Ashley's face at the end broke my heart. Asada didn't do well at her nationals either. Given Ash's performances all season, surely one competition shouldn't lose her that Sochi spot. Even if the fed is pissed about her speaking out, they've done tons of commercials/ other press about Ashley. They won't leave her home!

13. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Ashley is in third with Gracie skating now....... And she looks like she's on....

14. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

It's heartbreaking. Look at Takahashi. This one performance shouldn't torpedo her chances. I really think, and hope, the team should be Ashley, Mirai, and Gracie. There is more to the selection than Nats results. And look at Japan. I think it would be a travesty to leave Ashley off the team.

15. smarts1

Please make the team Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai. Please. Send Polina to Worlds or 4CCs. I don't care who they kick off the Worlds team.

16. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

I completely agree with your picks! Edmunds will have her time, but she's not done baking yet! ;)

17. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

This. And I think this will be the most likely scenario. Pleas make it happen.

18. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I am literally in tears for Ashley right now. I'm praying she'll get sent, but I just have a feeling it's not going to happen... :(

19. smarts1

They have to. Ashley has earned it more than any other US lady. I will lose all respect for USFSA if they send Polina over Ashley because she had one good senior nationals. Why Polina? Why did you come out of nowhere and spoil the show? Ugh.

20. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I agree. USFSA needs to send Polina to Worlds. I hopeful because more goes into the selection than this one competition.

21. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Okay so what are you folks going to do if she's off the team? I'll probably punch something, cry, write a nasty post on this site, write a nastier letter to the USFSA, write a beautiful letter and send it to Ashley, get angry more and make saddened frustrating posts, write another letter to the USFSA... In short, I will be a disaster.

22. smarts1

My question is... Are junior events even in the selection criteria? Isn't it only GPF, Worlds, Nationals (and previous nationals), and GPs that are taken into consideration when selecting the team?

23. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

Yes, i believe the Olympics should be granted to a skater who worked and have done everything all around. Polina has NOT proven herself to be worthy of a contender for the Olympics team (Internationally). I hope the team is Gracie, Mirai and Ashley. They deserve it.
    She's better off going to Worlds

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I believe it's just senior events taken into consideration. Polina has done nothing senior internationally. Send her to Worlds. Send the others to Olympics.

25. Alwaysaway

Alwaysaway New Member

I agree with what you're getting at. And even Worlds is...this is someone who just finished their first Jr GP. And yeah she won twice but it's not like she dominated, losing to three Russians in the finals. Wouldn't Jr Worlds be more appropriate for someone who has just taken their first steps? Are we really in that big of a rush to crown the next queen?

Not to mention where she may have fallen if her PCs were more in line with the reality of what she'd actually get at a senior competition, had she ever participated in one.

26. sequins

sequins Active Member

Just wanna say I hope they send Ashley to the Olys. One bad skate shouldn't disqualify her. It's clear they are all on the Gracie bandwagon(nothing against her) but Ashley helped get those 3 spots and she deserves 1.

27. Proustable

Proustable New Member

This was linked in the US ladies thread

ETA: Thanks bronwynsings

28. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Based on that, sending Ashley is a no brainer.

29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I do believe that Gold and Wagner should be on the Olympic team. Nagasu and Edmunds is where it gets dicey. Mirai has been, for lack of a better word, a complete headcase since the 2010 Worlds LP. Plus, watching the LP of Mirai I kept feeling like it is more tailored to 6.0 instead of COP given how empty it is choreographically and how many stops and rest periods there are in her program. Plus, Mirai, more than any other of the 4, is the most prone to getting downgrades. Mirai is also the only one out of these 4 ladies who attempted no 3+3 combination in the LP. Is Nagasu really going to be able to keep her head together at an Olympic or World Championship setting without a coach? Polina did place above Mirai in both the SP and the LP at Nationals and she is the future of US skating while Nagasu is probably in her final season as a competitor. My choice for the Olympic and World team would be Gold, Wagner, and Edmunds. I don't believe Nagasu is reliable enough to be trusted in a major international.

30. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Oh, Ashley. :fragile:

Poor girl broke my heart tonight.

I normally don't like the idea of anyone getting bumped for another skater, but I honestly am hoping Polina gets bumped (I'm expecting it to be Mirai though, if anyone). Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I so want Ashley to go to Sochi.