The Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Aug 23, 2013.

1. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

Congratulations to Ash for the bronze medal at Grand Prix final!! :40beers:
    It was a tougher field than last year considering those Russian ladies who have difficult 3-3 combos. Also it was a notable achievement to grab a medal under a big pressure. Go for the third gold medal at US Nats in a row! :cheer2:

2. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Ashley is the only US ladies skater who has proven she definitely deserves a nod for Sochi!!

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I watched the NBC telecast of the ladies GPF. Johnny was a little meh about Ashley, harping on her history of 2-footing which has been for the most part corrected. It wasn't her best, but then he went on to praise Adelina's 3z-3l in which she landed the 3loop backwards. I was like WTF

Sorry. Feeling a little protective of Ashley for some reason ...

4. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I noticed that too! I don't understand why NBC isn't pushing Ashley harder when she is by far our best shot at a medal outside of dance :confused:

5. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I too thought Johnny was harsh on Ashley. I think he is not a fan because he was this way in previous commentary. Did they overlap with Priscilla as coach? I wondered if they have a history....

Anyway, I thought Ashley kept herself in the Sochi podium conversation by medaling at the GPF. Had she beed clean, I think she would easily gotten silver. I hope she gets her consistency back. That was such a strong point for her.

6. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I think Johnny has a history of just not being a fan of US ladies in general. Whenever he lists his favorite skaters, they are always Russian or Asian. At one point I remember he had Mirai as one of his favorite female skaters but that lasted for a quick second...her name was gone from his "favorites" list as fast as it was put up on his site.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2 news items via Twitter:

Ashley tweeted that she and Adam Rippon will be "doing a Vine Q&A on Tuesday at 7 pm EST."

She is scheduled to be interviewed on the TODAY show on Wed. Dec. 11 in the 8:30 am 1/2 hour (assume she also will skate, weather permitting).

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I didn't feel that Johnny picked on Ashley. She does 2 foot when she is nervous. Still, what an accomplishment for Ashley! Imperfect skate, deep field and she medals! :cheer2: Tuns out she stacks up very well against the Russian babies.

Really hoping she irons out the kinks by Nationals. And would love to see more character to the free skate. Love the SP, suits her perfectly but the FS needs more je ne sais quoi. Hope she gets enough rest and practice and :kickass: at Nationals (and the Olympics!! :))

Proud of our champ!! :cheer2:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, Ashley is really owning her season, putting in a consistent 3-3 and grabbing her share of the medals. I think she is actually one of the most consistent and competition ready skaters so far. For all the criticism, I think maybe only Julia L has been more consistent. Mao, Akiko, Adelina, they have all had their share of mistakes. Carolina , Gracie, Kanako have made so many that they are not really in the running yet this season. Ashley is consistently building on her season, first with the more difficult combo, then the spin levels, now the performance quality.

It is only the LP that has not really gelled. Maybe go back to Black Swan? I really loved that program on her. I don't really 'get' bedroom juliet, but maybe that too will come in time.

10. olympic

Actually, if she had just stood up on the flutz, she probably would've pipped Julia for Silver.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I like this program and music although Black Swan was probably her best LP. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ashley skates well at the nationals and builds momentum for the Olympics by winning the title again.

12. Sylvia

13. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

14. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I actually liked that dress better then her current LP dress. Maybe she should switch. I think the one she wore today looks more like Juliet.

15. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

That dress is really, really pretty.

Gotta give Ashley props. She figured out what she needed to do to get to the top, made the changes she needed to make, worked her butt off and has achieved many of her goals. She is one gutsy and dedicated lady!

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Ashley has definitely put herself in the running for a podium spot in Sochi. She could even win a silver if many top skaters make mistakes (and she skates clean).

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Silver would be hard as things now look like Kim and Asada even making serious mistakes are out of reach for all others. Their mistakes will only impact their chances vs each other to which wins gold. I sort of see it as 3 or 4 women shooting for that bronze the way things look now. Funny how after last season Kostner looked on par with Mao for silver. Wow has that ever changed.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Anyone have a link to her Today's Show skate?

19. olympic

I was thinking the same thing regarding Kostner. But she usually picks up steam as the season progresses, so I'll reserve judgment on her. Still, I don't think she will be challenging Mao or Yu Na in any way.

Depending on Kostner, I see bronze being a battle between Lipnitskaya and Wagner. Sotnikova is too wildly inconsistent. Suzuki could surprise but she's battling inconsistency lately as well. Ditto Gold

20. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I wouldn't count Kostner out of the race for the gold medal just yet - lets see what happens at Europeans, if Kostner wins there and looks strong - short program above 70, free skate above 130 - then she will be positioned for a medal.

21. olympic

ITA. But I guess I was just surprised at how underwhelming she was on the GP circuit. She supposed to be in Mao's league if we are to judge by results last season, but she skated w/o falls in the LP, a completely clean SP w/ positive GOE on all her elements at RC and still only managed 190 points.

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Carolina may had peaked about two years ago. She will turn 27 during the Olympics and you have to wonder if she's on a downward spiral however small.

23. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I think Sochi is going to be a nail biter. I think Ashley has a good shot at a podium finish. How exciting. I am getting my IV Valium equipment out and dusting it off so I can hook up and not stroke out from the nerves (mine) while watching.

24. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait for Europeans for Carolina. She seems off this season.

25. Sylvia

26. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Video of Ashley on the Today show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJL_yvgsef8

Can I just say that I have never seen Ashley so beautiful, wow. She is definitely worthy of the Covergirl designation, and she skated like a true woman. *whistles* ;)

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, she looked beautiful and skated beautifully.

28. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks. I didn't realize that you posted it here, and shared it in the TV alerts thread. :)

29. Sylvia

Tweeted by @DavidBaden, Ashley's agent:
    "Look for @AshWagner2010 @Adaripp on @TheVoice_TF1 Tues Night @CarsonDaly giving #olympic #SHOUTOUT live"

30. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I would love to see Ashley to get an Oly medal. She is a great skater, and the little I have spoken to her, also a wonderful, intelligent and educated person.