The Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Aug 23, 2013.

1. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved Ashley's new version of the marigold dress. A stunning color on her....unique and standout. I loved her skates here and do not understand her low balling by the judges, especially relative to Lip with falls and flip outs. I just love her fierce and spunky personality. I hope she continues and uses
    Kostner as a role model who really improved in her mid to late 20's.

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

3. crs

crs New Member

I didn't know the russians olys had to be the americans olys lol! as for bad judgiing,like I said on another post, just wait till the next olys in south korea. Is going to be much worse for americans and russians lol!

4. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Is she retiring?

5. Kabooke

Kabooke Active Member

Commending Ashley for giving a great performance. And speaking out to the farce of the scoring/judges.

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I love her control on the ice !
    Yes, she was not perfect in the LP, but she tried her best, and fought for everything. Very very nice spirit !
    CONGRATS !

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

This morning on the "Today Show" Ashley said she had no complaints about the medalists.
    I think she must be upset that Julia was scored so high after skating far from her best. I happen to agree.

8. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

9. crs

crs New Member

are you sure she was not talking about gracie gold? lol!

10. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

honestly, I think she was talking about cop. Gracie fell in LP. Julia fell in both the sp and LP. But cop allows for such things. Mao fell in the sp, and despite her amazing LP for the ages, only cop would allow her to vault over Ashley with such a disasterous sp.

11. crs

crs New Member

Wrong. It was Mao's Body of Work that allowed her to vault over Ashley.

12. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

That's better than falling. The TV viewers don't know the significance of two footing, but if you're sitting on your butt, they know that's bad.

13. dewey

dewey Member

I took the crowd's response to be aimed at the judges for lowballing Ashley's score.

14. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um, Emily? Ashley's opening combo is a triple flip/triple toe. If you want to sound semi-competent, please learn the difference.

And you do, Emily? You do?

FTR, Sotnikova jumps higher than Kim.

What a hack.

16. Doozy

Doozy New Member

I'll check the recording when I get home, but would you be surprised if it was not about the scores? You realize there was a lot of outrage about her being named to the team over Mirai. Did you really think people have forgotten about that so quickly?

17. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:huh:
    COP doesn't have factored placements, so skaters who falter in the SP can rise much quicker in the standings with a good LP that they could under the 6.0 used in the later years. WTH does "Body of Work" mean? That she had more experience to channel her inner strength and rebound? That she got higher PCS due to reputation judging? She placed higher because COP scored her higher and there is no mark that I know of for "Body of Work".

18. duane

duane New Member

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Or how about not using that word at all? Someone has already clued Ashley in why she shouldn't use that word. Do you need the explanation too?

20. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Russian crowd did not give two flips over what US ladies were at the Olympics. Or anyone else, after Ashley laid down two clean short programs. If you think the booing was about anything other than her scores, you're looking for too much drama. Ashley had, to the casual viewer's eyes, a clean program. To see her end up in 6th must have confused people who didn't know about base scores or two foots.

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I just saw Ashley a couple minutes ago! I got her autograph and I thanked her for everything she's done for the sport (hopefully she knows what I was referring to in terms of the judging comments and gay rights stuff she said-- maybe one of the athletes stalk FSU and will see this and tell her!). I then gave her a figure skating sochi pin that I bought in the USA shop.

Hmm I should have asked if she was participating in the closing ceremonies because I forgot to tell her what my mom said!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    BlueRidge and (deleted member) like this.
  23. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Aw, that's great smarts1! It's one of my dreams to actually meet Ashley, but I won her autograph on twitter recently :)

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I don't think Ashley is one to talk about other people with falls finishing ahead of her considering she fell twice at Nationals last season in her LP and still won or falling twice at Nationals this year and still getting the nod to go to the Olympics over another skater who didn't fall.

25. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

What part of "Cheer Thread" don't you get?

In other news, Jeremy posted a cool pic on Instagram of Ashley & Marissa at the bobsled.

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Sounds like she is criticizing the system in general - yes, she has been on the beneficiary side of controversial/close calls, too.

I find it hard to disagree with her TBH, I feel the same way. Glad SOMEONE has the guts to say something. The anonymous judging was always a joke. But ultimately it's going to take more than just lifting the curtain because the lack of one prior didn't stop cheating, of course.

Why not make judges paid professionals? It would be FAR easier to remove those who don't conform instead of tying it so closely to politics.

Saw that. Talk about a lucky shot!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lol Ashley is giving an autograph giveaway? Congrats on the autograph! She has a nice signature.

28. icefan13

icefan13 New Member

I'm glad to hear Ashley plans to go for 2018! With her experience and fiercely competitive nature, I think she can provide some good stability and increasing maturity for U.S. ladies skating in this next quad. Perhaps she can break into the world medals as well.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

The US youngsters will come up and provide some strong competition so Wagner will need to adjust accordingly if she wishes to remain competitive and continue to make World teams, etc. Gold has already surpassed her and Edmunds is coming on fast. As long as the US can keep 3 spots for worlds, I think AW *can* hang in there. Since this will be her 3rd Oly cycle I think ultimately it will depend on whether her body still has 4 more years left in it.

30. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

No, the USFSA twitter was about a month ago. They were doing autograph giveaways leading up to Sochi. :)