The Apprentice

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cupid, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

The past two episodes have been greatly entertaining. I love how instead of having yet another Celebrity Apprentice, they are now casting people who have lost their jobs due to the economy - educated people from every walk of life, attorneys, bankers, grad students - bright people who should have no problems finding a job, right?

And they are vicious and hungry to be hired as the next Apprentice. Nice mix of characters. I feel bad for the guy fired last night. He showed weakness next to the two sharks with him in the board room. The weak will not survive long here.

My favorite of the woman is Masha (I think that's how she spells it). Very aggressive, loud, former assistant prosecutor.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The season has been interesting, thus far.
    It looks as though there will be a "confrontation" between the leading "sharks" next week.

3. soxxy

soxxy Guest

He did look miserable in that boardroom. I think Trump said he understood he was nervous. However, in the follow-up at the end of the show, he's now employed and looked about 20 years younger!

The guy with the five kids squiggs me out; I'm afraid he could go completely ballistic.

4. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I am also glad that they are bringing back the public people.

Hate Mahsa, she is loud, obnoxious, and unprofessional. Last week Nicole should've said it right there that she brought Mahsa in for her attitude and lack of loyalty. Ivanka would've eat Mahsa UP RIGHT THERE.

I'm rooting for the men's team right now only because the women seem like really catty bunch.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I like this show now that they have returned to "unknown" people who really WANT this job. Hate Mahsa and her obnoxious mouth, and Liza.

On the men, I don't really care for David.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't care for David at all - loved James' comment about putting up with him going emotionally ballistic - and dearly wanted him fired.

It seems like all the candidates are going to get interviews and possibly a job- the clip about Alex getting a job included a plug for the company, which is probably one that Trump wants to promote.

Focusing on talented candidates who are struggling and unemployed due to the recession is a brilliant concept for the competition. Trump doesn't have to spend money on prizes but the candidates gets a great prize anyway, a job interview.

And there is bound to be some great drama in the boardroom.

7. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

This is the first season of The Apprentice that I have watched. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot.

8. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Yes, it has even been more excellent than the last Celebrity Apprecentice that consisted of Bret Michaels. How can they top that one? By going back to what they have now - regular, everyday people who have educations and STILL cannot hold/keep a job in today's economy.

9. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

So now I'm confused a little. Do they not have weekly prizes for the project manager's fundraiser of choice? I think they don't!:confused:

10. walei

walei Well-Known Member

That's only for the celebrity version because on 'game shows' celebrities mostly 'play' for charity.

For the versions that feature regular public, the winning team usually gets a reward like on Survivor. On this recession version though the winning PM gets an interview with a well-known exec.

11. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

What about all the money they made on the ice cream sales? I think the women had about $1700 and the men had $1400 something like that, after the cost of the ice cream. Who kept that money? Donald??

12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I can't stand David. And I do not get the James hate. Unless David is threatened by him. James seems even keel, almost like someone that would not be on this type of show.
    Poppy seems a bit weak, but not a trainwreck. But Stephanie was so annoying. She has good skills, but just too cocky.
    Mahsa - or whatever her name is, I did not like her in week 1, too lawyerly like, but kind of funny in week 2 in the boardroom, Trump may not like her either.

Trump still a tool, but he seems less bothersome to me than other seasons, almost like he is taking it down a notch.
    nice to see George again. Next week looks promising.

13. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My guess would be that it goes to the production costs of the show. Camera crews to film them selling ice cream for two days would cost way more than $3100. Contributing a bit to the production cost increases profits from the show.

14. skatesindreams

The stress of being jobless; with five children to support, may have much to do with David's attitude. He's probably feeling pretty "desperate" at this point. It might do him good to be less "intense". However, I don't know if he would survive in the Boardroom, if he were.

15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Amen to that!! I can only imagine how it feels to have a family and be unemployed. It was hard enough when it was just me and I was unemployed. I'm underemployed now, and things aren't much better! :D

I've enjoyed the first two episodes also. I think James is getting a bad rap. From the preview of next week, it looks like that might change. I might have been in the same position as him--sales is not my area, either. I understand the Donald's point about being able to sell yourself, but selling ice cream bars to New Yorkers even on a hot day wouldn't be easy for an anybody. Sales definitely takes a special personality. I'm just glad he got through it.

Mahsa and David will self-destruct. No doubt about that. It's only a matter of time.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Anyone watch last night. Boy has the editing sucked for the previous episodes. They all hate James - and I really don't understand where it came from. Possibly most of them are sales types, more extroverted and James, quieter, introverted? David didn't like James previously, but the extent was wow! I had liked James prior to last night. He seems only able to do limited things at a time, but the previous editing just took just confused me.
    David, yes I feel bad about 5 kids, blah blah blah, but is he off his meds? His reactions are so odd. I am glad Ivanka called him out on his reactions! I wish we had heard more from the other guys on the team. I just feel like there is so much more. James deserved to be fired, but so did David, I want a double elimination!
    Women -
    Liza -please be fired. How annoying.
    Mahsa - again annoying.
    Tyana - not sure if I like her or hate her. Again the editing, there is so much more to Mahs and Tyana's relationship.
    Stephanie - very good in many ways, but too loud!
    Poppy - liked how she was in the board room, factual.
    I yell at the tv when watching this show, but can't stop watching, what a trainwreck!

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  17. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

David is def. off his meds. He's one scary dude!!!!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. soxxy

soxxy Guest

James revealed at the start of the episode that he might not be getting along with his teammates because of his "different background," which essentially involved his graduating from Duke and Georgetown law. He sees himself as an intellectual elitist, but to me he's scattered and disorganized. A true intellectual elitist, no matter how annoying, would not have rudely dismissed the owner, who also happend to be one of the judges, with, "Can you give us a couple of minutes?" when he's trying to give you important information; he'd have put aside what he's doing to listen to the guy who's partly responsible for determining his fate.

James also made no sense when Ivanka visited and he tried to explain to her what they were doing. Ivanka told him, with a laugh, "You're going to have to get far more articulate." :lol: The episode ended with James, fired, now having been hired by the New York Attoney General's Office; I trust he'll get it together working there.

David makes for good tv, I suppose, but he's a mess and Trump won't hire him.....but he'll string him along for as long as he can.

The women:

Liza - needs to go, too angry, confused, hurt, etc.
    Tyana (Miss Cougar California? :huh:) as PM, was wrong to put Masha back with the dogs when Masha made it clear she was afraid of dogs. Tyana was lucky her team won.

I'll need another episode to figure who's rising to the top, looking good in Trump's eyes. Too many of these people are not team players.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2010
  19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I think the funniest thing I ever heard in my life was Mahsa exclaiming that she is a people person.

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't get it either. I admit he's not Mr. Organized and maybe the editors have left a lot of his superiority complex on the editing room floor, but so much bile from the other contestants, especially Mr. Whackjob (David). My guess is the team wanted a scapegoat to throw under the bus, and James gave them a slight reason to nominate him and they just continued to go with that choice. "Better him than ME"!

David has made it sound like he lost his wife and kids because he could not (financially) provide for them. No dude...they left because you are one major ass**** and could not stand to be around you for one more second!

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skatesindreams

I agree!
    James set himself up for elimination; and no one else needed to do anything else,

I was interested that Trump mentioned David's Pre-Apprentice competence/success in the Boardroom.

22. soxxy

soxxy Guest

What was Trump referring to?

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

His previous job experiences and success I think.

24. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

James was starting to grow on me and I really wanted David to go home. Unfortunately, James made two serious errors: not meeting the owner right away and getting into conflict with David. Trump almost always sides with difficult people when the PM hasn't managed them well.

So David got his wish, unfortunately.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I wasn't crazy about either popcorn video, actually, but the men's was better, even though they didn't exactly "close down Fifth Avenue," so I was happy they won.

In the boardroom, losing PM Mahsa brought back Tyana and Leeza (?), and Tyana was fired which was fine, seeing she stupidly rooted against her team in the boardroom and hadn't contributed anything herself other than saying theirs was a bad concept.

It didn't really matter as none of the three of them would/will win, IMO. Trump doesn't select an Apprentice (non-celebrity) who thinks or presents themselves "outside of the box," and these three are just annoying to listen to, they're so loud.

I have my eye on Brandy, the blonde who said in the boardroom, "Don't come to me with a problem unless you have a solution for it."

26. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I thought Tyana was an idiot the moment she selected that portrait of an unknown man to display in the foyer of that business (so everyone could ask who the heck is that, the founder? No, just random artwork I liked.:rolleyes:)

I am surprised that Masha didn't go home since she was the PM. She's a fighter, though, something I think Trump admires.

27. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Men lucked out with David needing to see a dentist is all I can say. Men seemed to get work done. can't imagine why, hee hee
    To me, the 3 most unlikeable women ended up the in the boardroom. Not sure shy Leeza was there, unless who else.
    Soxxy - yes Brandy, keep an eye on her, plus she summed up Tyana's problem perfectly.
    too many folks this season seem to be more concerned with someone else losing, doing something to make it easy to kick out than try to impress Trump.

28. FiveRinger

I am a little disappointed in Tyana getting fired. If you follow the basic premise that the person who most contributed to the team's loss is the person who should be fired, I can't agree that Tyana was that person. Mahsa deliberately excluded Tyana, Poppy, and Leesa from participating in the challenge, delegating them to tasks that had minimal bearing on the outcome. Mahsa has been gunning for Tyana from the beginning; it was obvious that she was the target, and her objective was to bring her into the boardroom even before the task began. She discussed it with other team members. I think they kept quiet to keep from being her next target. The challenge wasn't a team effort; Mahsa made every decision, did not listen to Tyana when she tried to verbalize her concerns. Maybe had the group tried to talk it out instead of ignoring her in the beginning the result of the task might have been different. Mahsa was bitter at Tyana for not letting her be out at the front desk in the last task and having been delegated to dealing with the dogs that she was afraid of.

Mahsa is a strong personality. The weaker members of the team go along with her out of fear and intimidation. The stronger members of the team are going to let her go as far as she wants to in hopes that she self-destructs. That might be smart--she's does not listen, refuses to take criticism, and just a mean. The remarks that she made about Tyana being the biggest person and the the biggest detriment to the team were totally uncalled for.

I'm glad the men won the task. Personally, I liked the video, but, most importantly, they did what was required of the task. Clint seemed to be a good leader, listening to all of the team and ultimately being a leader. The men were beyond lucky when Dave had to go to the dentist. And, let me say from experience, I've had a hole in a tooth similar to Dave's and the pain is excruciating. Luckily, root canal saved mine, but I know Dave was in tremendous pain and probably had no choice but to get it taken care of. You can feel a bad tooth all of the way down to the nerve endings in the tips of your toes.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it was fair to say that Tyana just criticized without offering a solution because Mahsa gave her no chance to speak beyond that. If she had been allowed to voice her opinion and the group had listened, a better idea may have came from it. But that didn't happen.

I don't like Tyana, either, but Mahsa should have been fired. She blew the task, not anyone else.

30. FiveRinger

^^^Agree.

Not only that, but Tyana was PM last week and won. I'm not understanding how the Trumps justify firing Tyana over Mahsa, who has been nothing but hot air since the beginning.