The Amazing Race--Season 23

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

In what effing frozen hell do I find myself rooting for Tim & Marie during this finale? :slinkaway I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but everybody else is grating on my last nerve.

ETA: the mobile vending machine is hilarious! :lol:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Me too. But then I her barking at people impatiently, and I'm annoyed again. I had been semi rooting for Jason/Amy but not so much now.

I so want the Afghanimals to beat the doctors, but it prob. won't happen. :( If I were Nicole, I would knock Travis out.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Travis is a jerk, but why did they let Nicole build the robot? She clearly has no sense of details. At. All. Tim and Marie may be annoying, but they race well and deserve their wins. I hope they win it all.
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Travis must have done all of the roadblocks that he could. (They have to split them evenly.)
  5. Fridge_Break

Going into the final leg they are all tied up 6-6 with roadblocks performed (well technically 6-4-2, 6 for Travis, 4 for Nicole, and 2 for Amy), so they wanted it so that they could pick who they wanted to do the final roadblock instead of being stuck with one person performing it.

This is the case for all of the couples, actually. They are all 6-6.
  6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a clue when to drop the bag of flour to hit the target.
  7. rfisher

You have to time your airspeed. And get lucky. Nicole really sucks at all the tasks. I'd be frustrated with her if she was my partner.
  8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll have to land and get more bags of flour. I wonder how many they have in the plane. :watch:

I missed what # attempt they are on.
  9. Fridge_Break

I was wondering how long until the plane runs out of gas.. :shuffle:
  10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That too.

I figure Pinky and NoBrain will fly through this task.
  11. rfisher

You just know Nicole is hoping Travis slips off that ladder. :lol:

This would be an exhausting leg! A mile paddle if you don't know how to paddle a kayak is a challenge. And now a memory challenge at the end.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  12. Fridge_Break

:wideeyes: the final challenge. And I thought the hello/goodbye one was bad that one year.
  13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

And the flag challenges where they have to run so much looked tough. This is :yikes:

:EVILLE: TAR!!! I love it!
  14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It's nice the final challenge is cooperative and not a roadblock but wow that looks hard.
  15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Did anyone else catch the side eye Travis gave Nicole in the cab on the way to the totem poles when he was discussing the struggle they had had with the last few challenges?

Good for Jason/Amy probably winning, but I find them meh.
  16. rfisher

Jason/Amy ran an excellent leg this time. Nicole was terrible as a racer, but Travis wasn't any better. Tim/Marie ran a great race.
  17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I am now thinking Amy helping Nicole to get to the last leg was a good strategy- the final 3 was basically no contest and partly because Nicole is kinda useless. Glad Tim and Marie didn't win, though she got tolerable near the end. Interesting about the 60/40 split...
  18. Fridge_Break

Nicole says: "You work through it and you don't give up."

Psh, more like "you panic and beg your neighbor for assistance so you don't give up."
  19. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I'm satisfied with the outcome. Jason and Amy were fairly likeable, and ran a good race from beginning to end. They were supportive of one another and mostly even-keeled.

I was kinda rooting for the Afghanimals...their enthusiasm was loud and a bit OTT, but at least they were having fun and enjoying themselves. :hat1:

Travis really got on my nerves these past two weeks. :blah: Nicole is often kinda clueless, but he is sooooooooooo hard on her! Seems he's never gotten past that he was her teacher and she was his student in med school. Plus their holier-than-thou attitude was really annoying. :rolleyes:

Pinkie and Tim continued to irritate me :argue:...though I was kinda pulling for Marie at the robot challenge...not to beat Leo and Jamal, but to beat the Mutual Aid Society of Amy and Nicole. :huh:
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I"m satisfied with the winners. I didn't find myself cheering for any of the teams at the end, but they were the ones that bothered me the least... although that isn't always the criteria i use. Since nthing else struck me, that's what decided it for me.

Gonna miss me some TAR for a bit now :(
  21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So glad Pinky and No Brain did not win! Didn't care who won otherwise. And her demanding a 60/40 split solidified her status as Queen Bytch for me.

And once again the Final Challenge would have screwed me! Who would have thought to keep track of what kind of money they use?! I was paying more attention to the bath mat locations, who was there, what they were wearing, what they said, what Phil said. Never would have thought of keeping track of what kind of money. I wonder how they'll screw with the racers on that last challenge next time! :lol:
  22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that the Race causes Travis and Nicole to take a hard look at their relationship.
    I'd be scattered, confused, and have no confidence in my ability if I were married to him, also; particularly if he were my "supervisor".
  23. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Reading what everyone has posted and so agreee....
    Nicole & Travis - not a good relationship
    Pinky and No Brain - good racers, but Pinky is so annoying
    Jason & Amy - ran a good race, but I will probably only remember them because the help Amy kept giving. At least it did seem strategic.
    I liked the Afghanimals - yes - OTT, but they were having fun!
    Great 2 hours, great challenges, variety.
    I have always wanted to go to Alaska and this show just made me want it more.
    In general, I watch the show more for the scenery of the locales and the fun locals watching the crazy contestants.
    Already miss it, and will watch the next season.
  24. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ... I want to do human bowling too. That host was crazy! :lol:
  25. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

I think the right people won. Jamy were boring, but nice, and raced well. Are they also the ones Pinky stole the cab from? Karma's a bitch! :lol:

I think the show really made Travis look bad, but I also don't think it will change their relationship at all. She's weak; she can't stand up for herself, and he takes advantage of that. I hope she has some good friends who can help her with her obvious self-esteem issues. Or some strangers who can tell her she's worth more than he makes her feel, and call Travis out for the horrible way he treats his wife.
  26. Fridge_Break

Tim proposed to Marie yesterday, there's a video posted here. They were skating while he asked her :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=831747495969

They both look so happy... I actually feel happy for them. I have NO IDEA what the hell happened that in the last few episodes that I actually liked them in the end, because the first 90% of the race they were awful and unbearable. I guess watching them work together well and not melt down when things didn't go right helped a lot. I wish them well.

ETA: 2 minutes after I posted, I read it might be fake. Oh well..
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  27. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I began liking Tim & Marie too towards the last 2 or 3 episodes. Travis certainly didn't encourage Nicole much but I don't blame him for getting frustrated with her. Actually, I didn't feel they even deserved to be in the final 3 & wouldn't have been except for Amy's help. I suppose that could have been strategic on A'
    s part knowing she & Jason were the stronger team.
  28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I thought they were exes. :huh:
  29. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I'm getting a bit annoyed that the "tough challenge at the end" is remembering and spelling "the foreign currency". How much of an idiot one must be not to know major foreign currencies and the sequence in which one encountered it from country to country when each "visit" is a major event in one's life?

This game should get more exciting and challenging.. climbing ice is not that hard.

I like challenges when one must "be part of the locals" and sell something, or get a difficult document as a regular citizen, or get something of "shortage" in some banana-republic where you have to "swindle" and pay off to the people who control "it".

Those "physical" challenges are not "international".. one does not have to leave any continent to find "rough water, mountain, place to climb". "International challenge" is when you have to do something unique and difficult and specific to the "given region".

I can barely force myself to watch this show lately. If not for "snap-shots" of foreign lands, the challenges are for kids.
  30. Fridge_Break

I think the Race managed to pull them a lot closer together than they thought it would. They really did seem to like each other at the end. The opposite can be said about Travis & Nicole. I don't think they came into the season thinking that there would be that much friction and unraveling as the race wound down.

Funny how the race can have such drastic effects on relationships.
  31. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member