The Amazing Race April 22 -- Bollywood Travolta

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by shan, Apr 23, 2012.

1. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

zomg, I thought from a bunch of twitter comments I'd seen last night that Bopper and Mark were history so it was quite the surprise when I watched just now and saw that it was NEL! :cheer:

2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

They did the driving task--there was a really quick clip of it.

Rachel and Dave don't bug me at all; he's really competitive and controlling (which is typical of pilots IM not inconsiderable E with them), which makes him kind of abrasive, but she doesn't take him too seriously or personally when he starts. They bicker, but they get over it immediately because neither of them thinks it means anything. Can you imagine Dave with the other Rachel? Oh, the tears and the drama and the holding of grudges.

ArmyRachel really needs to ditch all that black eye makeup. :yikes:

I hope someone in Kentucky steps up to help Bopper and Mark. Bopper was laid off, I think, and really needs a job, and apparently Mark isn't doing too well, either. But how could anyone resist those two? That is a great friendship there.

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will garner lots of job offers.

And they go to show you that CBS doesn't need to resort to mactors and reality TV stars to run the race. Ordinary folks from ordinary places like Kentucky produce teams that are so much more interesting than out of work mactors.

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I would love to see Mark and Bopper host a travel show. That would be hilarious.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Manchester KY, their hometown, has a population of less than 1800.
    Even though it is the county seat. it looks like job opportunities are limited.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So true. Each season my favorite team aren't the sort that you're going to find on other CBS reality shows.

7. Prancer

And median income for a family is only $25K :yikes:. No wonder Bopper is struggling to pay for his daughter's medicine. If he doesn't have insurance, asthma meds have to run him to several hundred dollars a month.

That's why southwestern Ohio is full of briers (which is what we call Kentucky transplants and their descendants; I am one of them, so I'm allowed to say it :p). There aren't a lot of jobs in rural Kentucky.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My mother was born in Canada, KY; grew up in Pikeville, and graduated from UK - before leaving - and meeting my father in NYC.
    I understand why people go.

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Growing herb, mixing meth or selling oxy; especially, since many of the mines have shifted to mountain top removal methods instead of deep mining. I, too, hope something good comes from this for them and their families. They are excellent ambassadors for the rural South.

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I'd watch a season of that, or a season of The Osbournes style show with B&M. Package something like that, put it on Tru TV or what-not basic cable network ... between one of the dozen shows about junkyards or tatoo parlors ... and give these boys a big check that will change their families' live! :cheer:

:lol: For full effect, we should explain to the city folk that "brier" refers to thicket-forming thorny plants that pop up where they're not wanted, spreading prodigiously while your attention is elsewhere.

Muncie, Indiana, my birthtown/city where my of my extended family still live, was nicknamed Hillbilly North in the old days ... due to the huge influx of citizenry from Tennessee and Kentucky. Definitely a brier metropolis! :kickass:

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think that's because Rachel and Brendan haven't been shown to be as annoying. Either she's quit crying so much, or they're getting a better edit.

What's a "mactor"?

12. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Model/Actor

13. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

As Habs said, "model/actor," however it's also a term used frequently for people who didn't originally apply to be on these shows (TAR, Survivor, Big Brother, etc.) and instead were recruited from bars, clubs, MySpace/Facebook, etc., more often than not because they are more in the "attractive" crowd. And in the casting director's eyes, pretty = higher ratings, thus why we get several "mactors" on any given season of a lot of these shows.

14. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Eys, "mactor" is a dirty word, especially among the pearl-clutching Sucksters.

The only thing worse there? :drama: :drama: :angryfire Alpha male teams :angryfire :drama: :drama:

How dare they?? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!

er ... :shuffle:

15. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

I just watched some unseen footage on the Amazing Race Facebook page. I guess Mark/Bopper ran out of gas on the way to the checkpoint. To make matters worse he got sick again. They still had a positive attitude which made me love this team even more.

16. Prancer

Yes, it definitely isn't meant as a compliment :lol:. My MIL's worst fear about living here was that one of her kids would end up married to a brier :lol:. I have never pointed out that she married a ridgerunner :drama:, but there have been times........

Oh, yeah. Meth labs and pot fields are everywhere in the rural areas around here, and they are always run by briers.

Unless they happen to be the Sucksters now foaming at the mouth that the women are in control on Survivor.

The Sucksters LOVE SnivelingRachel :scream:.

17. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I lost count of the gender stereotypes. :eek:

Even though Brenchel are annoying as hell, it made me :rofl: when she beat Art (?) at cricket. :rofl: