The Amazing Race 05/02: "They Don't Even Understand Their Own Language"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lilia A, May 3, 2010.

1. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I am so over the lil brothers. Their taxi etiquette lost it for me, plus hoping the duhtectives would help. Not a good strategy at the end.
    The cowboys better win. In any other season the other 2 teams probably would not be in the finale.
    Didn't Caite say something about proving that she is not as dumb as people think she is, not necessarily that she is smart, just less dumb (hee hee).
    Brent - sometimes he seems ok/capable and other times not so with it. plus he is with Caite, which makes me think the later.

Back to an previous post on another episode. I do think the Cowboys are using their 'aw shucks' attitude as a strategy.
    Love their comment about 'buckles'. They really have been pretty even keeled during the whole competition. I am pretty sure they made the currency goof in the first episode that made me think less of them at first.

2. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe that the Brothers blew a TWO HOUR lead on the Duhtectives while looking for that bridge!! I still like them and can understand getting frustrated, but that strategy was risky and the taxi behavior was pretty inexcusable. I, too, was wondering why no one was stopping in at an internet cafe or hotel to find the bridge. Maybe there weren't any around.

And then Brent.... Just when I was thinking he was kinda cool for appreciating the Chinese culture and being patient with Caite and the counting task, he turns into Mr. Whiney Britches again the minute they get off the motorcycle. I don't hate them like some seem to, but I really wish they would grow up.

Go Cowboys!! I want to hear the Cowboy Music(TM) when they cross the finish line in first.

3. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:cheer2: :cheer2: Cowboys FTW!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Love those guys ... what a casting coup for TAR. They've given us a season full of one-liners, awesome success in completing challenges, and as other have stated respect for their fellow racers, the locals, and the cultures. Kind've glad that they did not win the close finish for this leg win ... better to save every sliver of good luck for this finale.

Earlier, I'd thought "eh, doesn't matter who joins them in the race-for-the-giant-bathmat, but now I'm thinking ... I like that it's not the dutectives. A final puzzle/memory challenge with either Cowboy versus Brent or Dan side-by-side, for example, seems like a better match-up than versus Michael. That's just a fleeting thought, TAR Gods, not a "hellyeh it's easy now!" ... allright.

BTW, I love the intricate final challenge was added beginning in Season 8. It adds a variable that truly does reflect who's paid attention during the entire Race, and it "can" equalize the luck one team enjoyed with a better cabbie. It couldn't overcome the huge differential in cabbie prowess in the Diva Tina season finale. Sigh. But loved it in Season 9, where the Hippies overcame (blew past) the Frats in the flag challenge. Was exciting, too, in [Season 11?], where Rachel (of TJ & Rachel) rocked the final challenge and passed Christine to grab the $1 million.

Decent episode, but I continue to rue "needle/haystack" luck challenges, ala the "porkchop" one. (Please, none of this in the finale!) And the so-called "Speedbump" was more like a speed blip. C'mon, now, a ridiculously easy task that required no travel, no nothing. The wishing well as - what - 10 feet from the leg marker?

4. Bev Johnston

Just have to jump back in here to say that I'm sitting at my desk at work, and I've been trying really hard all morning not to bust out with giggles reminiscing this scene. That, along with the guy who the Brothers asked for help who kept saying "Bridge? Bridge?" Too funny.

ETA: Also, just remembered Dan trying to hit on that girl while wearing those ridiculous goggles. Hilarious!

TWoP has a blog up that talks about why they hate this season so much. They even claim that the only reason that the Cowboys are doing so well is because they've gotten a lot of breaks. Haters. I get so fed up with the obsessive types over there.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I thought the Speedbump was way too easy. At least Jet/Cord had to go to another location and Jordan/Jeff's seemed a bit time consuming too.

Throwing a penny into a hole two feet away from the cluebox, not so hard. I would have been really pissed if they had managed to knock out the brothers from the final 3 but then Dan/Jordan bleed so much time this episode and basically gave up looking for the bridge so I guess I wouldn't have been that upset.

Jet & Cord are my favorite racers in a long, long time that I'm going to be pretty upset if they don't win. Wish CBS would have shown their taxi accident that resulted in Brent/Caite beating them to the bathmat but hopefully coming in 2nd this leg will give them the push to win it all when it counts the most!!!

6. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Agree that the speed bump was too easy. I also agree that the Cowboys have to win! I'll be sick if Caite wins.

7. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

That was really weird. They never seemed to leave the the museum or look for any alternatives. It seems likely to me that the museum would have staff that spoke English and provided information for tourists; were they not allowed to go in and ask there?

I'm sure they didn't show everything, but it looked like the brothers spend two hours wandering around the museum looking for a bridge. And then they just seemed to leave everything up to Louie and Michael when the Duhtectives showed up. Oh, what will we do?, wring of hands, wring of hands.

Phil seemed to really like Louie and Michael.

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

After all this time, I'm sure Phil really appreciates the "no whining" teams. If nothing else, the DuhTectives never came close to having a pity party.

9. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I'm new to this show, so I was wondering when the next season is going to be? Will it be after the summer is over?

10. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

It usually begins in late September. I've been a Cowboys supporter since the first week. It's hard to beat common sense, good humor & good manners.:)

11. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

It'll start up again in the fall when all of the fall/spring shows return around September. :)

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Another hopeful vote for the "Cowboys", here.

13. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Do tell. Hadn't heard this. Glad it happened this leg, versus next leg!

14. Stefanie

Thanks. I noticed on the CBS website for the show that there have been 16 seasons--so are there two seasons within a calendar year?

15. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes, roughly two a year. Wikipedia will tell you lots more about the show than CBS. There's a Wiki page for each of the US seasons (most very detailed), some for the international editions (TAR Asia is a huge success, as well), and an umbrella one (with dozens of related links).

16. Stefanie

Great, thanks! :)

17. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

On the CBS website in one of the extra videos, Jet & Cord talk about having to find a 2nd taxi to the pit stop after the first one they were in got into an accident while trying to make a u-turn. Add to the fact that they ran the wrong way at first, that was enough time for Caite & Brent to pass them for 1st.

18. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Come on the Cowboys! :cheer2:

Caite is absolutely insufferable. What a cow. :blah:

Memo to Little Brothers: When you are in a foreign country and you don't speak the language, being rude and angry to people doesn't help. And no they don't care that you are in a race for a $1 million. :p

19. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I'm a little bit shocked at myself to recall that I didn't particularly like them in the very first episode. :eek: I've loved them ever since and definitely want them to win!

20. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I think a lot of us were quite :duh: about them after the first week when they exchanged their money to the wrong currency... things sure changed quickly though :lol:

21. Bev Johnston

This is great! I spent (wasted) all kinds of time yesterday afternoon looking at the pages for each station. It gives some juicy gossip, like Canaan and Micah broke up during sequester. Awkward! It said that they later got back together.

One thing I didn't realize is how many racers actually screw up completing tasks/reading clues and are penalized for it. A lot of times we don't know because it doesn't affect placement so it's edited out. That explains why sometimes we are :confused: as to why some team didn't get a penalty for such and such. Maybe they did, but it just wasn't shown.