The Akiko Suzuki cheer thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, Mar 20, 2013.

1. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find another thread so I decided to start this one. Akiko may have had a rough showing at Japanese nationals and Worlds, but I still think she's one of the premier ladies in skating today. I'm really hoping that, as Japan has three ladies spots open, that Akiko gets one and medals in Sochi. I know she's 27 years old but she skates like she's 10 years younger. I don't know how she can top the creativity of her programs from this season but I'm anxiously awaiting what she'll do next season.

Go Akiko!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Totally agree! I think she's got "IT," even if the judges don't reward it. Her LP was probably my favorite of the season.

3. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I LOVE her.

I tend to get touchy when people compare skaters to my fave (kwan) but in akiko's case, i really really see it. I know it's kind of vague to gush about a skater's aura and emotive abilities on the ice since it's so subjective but I can't help it, that's what I feel!
    I don't care if she had a disastrous worlds lp, she had the most distinctive and interesting program (choreographically/artistically and in terms of music choice and costume)

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That Cirque program was picturesque and beautiful at 4CC. I am glad she enjoyed that success so this worlds placement is not her whole record for the season.

5. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

I feel bad for Akiko! I really like every single one of her programs (especially the footwork section and the speed she has throughout the end of her programs), but every single point and placement she gets, she earns. She can get great scores, only when she skates very well, but unlike other skaters who are held up, if she makes mistakes, judges don't hesitate to dump her scores... (so sad that she can make some mistakes and score only near 100, when if she skates well, she can get close to 130...) --> that being said, it is fair judging, but some skaters are held up and get high scores even when they don't skate too well. :(

6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I adore her. Such heart and joy in her skating.

7. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I hope she can reassert herself at the WTT.

8. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I LOVE THIS GIRL !. I feel like everytime I watch her she gives you everything she has. She seems like such a lovely person & I REALLY hope she has a fantastic season 13/14 & goes to Sochi. Of all the wonderful skaters out there nothing would make me smile more than to see Akiko on the podium at the Olympics. But I fear the judges are already looking towards Gracie Gold & the young Canadian as maybe-medals if the likes of Kostner, Wagner or Asada skates below par.
    It's a real shame as I enjoy watching Akiko much more than most of the others. I even thought that despite the errors at the World's she was a little under-marked. The choreography of her free skate was much better than several above her.
    I'm sending positive thoughts to Akiko.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The Japanese skaters all have beautiful hearts. :)

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:cheer:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Here's what I think I think: I think Akiko is going to have a great WTT. And afterwards, she's gonna be thinking to herself: "Take that brioches!" ;)

12. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

^ I hope so :)

She has a light in her that you see in so few skaters. I haven't seen someone emote and embrace performing a fantastic long program like she does, since Michelle Kwan. And I, like a poster above, don't like to compare skaters to Michelle Kwan. She's on a different level, but for me so is Akiko. I only wish for Akiko to find that consistency Michelle had.... that's waiting to come out for Akiko in 2014 I hope ;)

It brings me to tears watching her raw emotion and facial expressions/body movements during her choreography sequence in her LP at 4CC 2013. That moment for me was the highlight of my year. Just pure reckless abandon.

Wishing her the best :)

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  13. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

She is an inspiration. Maybe someone can find an interview to find out what was happening at World's.
    Love her skating & wish her the best!

14. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

She practiced and warmed up well, it looked like a lot of doubt after missing the first flip at worlds.

I'll admit her jump technique this season is not what it used to be. The jumps have less height and there is not a lot of room for error. I'm thinking if she can resolve this over the summer then good things will be coming her way.

15. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I love her! If she is on, her skating is full of joy and so inspring. It touches your soul - few skaters have this ability. :cheer:

I think she peaked too early this season. However, I think it's better to have a not so stellar season now than next year. I hope she will have a great next season. If she will win a medal in Sochi, I'll be happy for her. :)

16. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I too wish Akiko success at WTT and a good next season + preferably a medal at Olympics (if not that, then at least a respectable top 5 finish). I really like Mao too, but she's already had her great moments, including an Olympic silver (although I understand that she wanted gold - which doesn't look very possible now anyway). I must admit that I don't want Carolina to fail and have bad Olympics again in order to make place for Akiko on the podium, though. I just love both of them.

17. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

I have just now put up my shingle for my futurist consultancy practice. Prices reasonable. :D

18. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

If only she had pulled off the same performances from WTT and even NHK at worlds! She could have been second!

Going into the Olympic season now, she is my favourite pick for the Silver Medal!

I wish her all the best for her last season competing!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

19. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Source: Japan Times article titled Suzuki's stellar performance guides Japan to [team] bronze

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well put--she has a light and a joy in her skating and presentation. And like Michelle, she might not be the best at every element (others have bigger jumps or faster spins), but everything is done VERY WELL and the overall package is just excellent.

I soooooo want her to stay healthy and have a :kickass: Olympics.

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

<stoopid double posting FSU>

23. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Totally agree with this. Lovely to see Akiko achieve so much following her struggles. Her enthusiasm and love for skating shine through!

24. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

She has! I love her skating! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Akiko skates with so much musicality & emotion. She seems to atomize joy and happiness when on the ice. She belongs to those rare skaters who have the ability to touch your soul. :swoon:

I'm so happy she skated well at WTT and I wish to her that the next season will be the best of her entire career. :cheer:

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

She is one of my favorite skaters and it is a shame the judges undermark her so often. I hope she can end her career with an Olympic medal and World title. It would be fitting for someone of her immense talents. I think she is the most musical skater in many years.

26. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

She's the only skater of the current crop that makes me feel something every time she goes out on the ice, even when she isn't clean. Yuna almost touches there when she goes 100% flawless, but it isn't the same, and it's only when she does a FS like she did at worlds. There's something about Akiko, there's something to be said about that rare ability. I can't explain it :)

I'll be very sad as she competes for the last time. I hope she accomplishes all her goals this coming season :)

27. christinaskater

christinaskater New Member

Even with her World bronze medals, 2 4 Continents Silver medals and 3 GPF medals- i consider Akiko one of the greatest skaters who ever skated! Her musicality is unparalleled. It is a soul/aura explosion ala Michelle Kwan. She draws you into her world and into her soul. She captivates you like no other. Her heart is so beautiful and pure. She is a rare breed. I believe only Daisuke and Akiko have this magic ala Michelle Kwan. I am so blessed to witness Michelle, Daisuke and the great Queen Akiko Suzuki!

28. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I think Akiko is one of those skaters that could skate to any music and make the program amazing. Similar to Kwan in many aspects.

29. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I'm with both of you posters!! :) I absolutely am in awe to see her skate, and she has the ala Michelle Kwan magic for me. She's also one of the few skaters who I honestly feel priveleged to have the opportunity to watch. I will be sad to see her go.

I said this in another thread which will be removed from the GSD, but I believe Akiko's 2013 FS is the best program of at very least this year, and probably this decade which has just begun!

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Her current ISU personal best FS score (133.02 at 2013 WTT):
    Re-posting from the Japanese news thread in GSD:

Akiko Suzuki's blog - latest entries are dated May 14 & 15 in Detroit, Michigan (with photos of Suzuki, Kozuka, Narumi Takahashi, Ryuichi Kihara, etc.): http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/
    Translations of her blog into English: http://akkoblogtranslations.tumblr.com/
    Excerpt from May 14:

Last edited: May 17, 2013