The "Adam Rippon: Better than Ever" Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

There were many great performances at the 2013 US Natonals but, for me, none so delightfully refreshing -- and such a transformation -- as that of Adam Rippon's LP. I had to do a double-take; was this really Adam, the floaty cherub of year's past? Loved him before - love him even more now.

ADAM - HAT'S OFF TO YOU FOR YOUR PROGRESS AND TRANSFORMATION. YOU'RE MY CHAMP!
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I LOVED Adam's long program. He showed such great character in it. Wish he could have gotten to the podium, but am looking forward to seeing him at 4CCs.
    Frau Muller and (deleted member) like this.
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

He said in an interview that performing his Incredibles LP program at Nats was the FIRST TIME he'd really had fun with it. Which is great and not great. if he'd really had fun with it, hammed it up earlier in the season, he might have done better then and at Nats. It was really enjoyable to see him in a goofing off personality. Wish he had more technically, but the 3a is improved, so that's good. Love silly Adam, love Angel Boy Adam.
  4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I love Adam, period, in any shape, form, style. He skated "happy" yesterday..and really sold the program.

Thanks for starting this thread.
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I did not realize at first that it was Adam skating (I missed the start of his LP). First he reminded me of a young Viktor Petrenko in his carriage and lines. When he spoke after the skate, he reminded me of Brian Boitano. During the skate I did not recognize him with his short hair and a different kind of program. I felt that some of the 'joy' felt a bit forced (by the choreographer?). He has very natural grace, and classical lines, and I still feel that classical music is more suitable for him. However, if this change helps him get over whatever mental block he had before, it seems to have worked.
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm with you!
  7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=guzEfgtvd2w&feature=endscreen

I too love Angel Boy Adam, who's growing and transforming into fantastic young man Adam. Under Rafael's tutelage, Adam's learning how to further develop his talents, own who he is and express that ever more beautifully on the ice. I'd just point out though that taking on a new program that has a completely different style than a skater is used to is not a simple process. In Adam's case, he was also adjusting to the move to California under a new coach over the summer. It obviously must have taken several trial runs before Adam, his coach and Michael Siebert were able to re-tweak and fine-tune his programs. Plus it took awhile for Adam apparently to get comfortable with and more in tune with the character of his free skate music. I'm happy for him that he seemed so relaxed out there and enjoyed himself.

I love, love, love Adam's new costumes, especially his snazzy and jazzier-looking outfit for his free skate. Red looks good on Adam (brings to mind his sp costume from last year). :) Although I miss Adam's curls, I think his hair looked good in this newly modified straight style, which I like a lot better than the way it looked at the start of the season. Maybe next season Adam might bring his curls back (even if in a bit more tamed and shorter style). Gosh, Adam was so good in both programs. Such a fluke that problem in the short on his second jump on the 3/3 combo. I absolutely love his great new layback spin. It's superb! Few men have good laybacks, but this one for Adam is such a winner. To me, it's jaw-droppingly beautiful.

I echo thanks to Frau Muller for starting this thread. I was so very happy for Adam and I truly enjoyed seeing him skate both his short program and his free skate! For me, Adam was one of the bright spots in the men's event. From the standpoint of wonderful performances, I was also mesmerized by Wesley Campbell's lovely Ave Maria free skate, and as well by Alexander Johnson's great free skate. I think the men were inspired by the great skates of many of the ladies. I also want to say that I think Jeremy Abbott's wonderful skating and Ross Miner's medal-winning performances at NHK Trophy this season have been inspirational to a lot of skaters and to many people involved in the sport.

I have to admit that I'm transfixed by Tom Dickson's choreography and the way he and his wife are able to work with skaters to find the perfect music and the right moves for them to naturally express themselves from the inside out, while also incorporating the necessary technical stuff and transitions. Dickson's work skated to its highest potential seems so seamless and effortless. I'm in love with the work of Tom Dickson, Pasquale Camerlengo, Julie Marcotte and Shae Lynn Bourne. I respect all the choreographers who not only have such great creative and artistic skills, but also great passion for skating and for skaters.
  8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

That's it, Vash01! It was like Brian Boitano, circa-1988...the little nods to the judges and flicks-of-writs totally reminded me of Boitano's 1988 Les Patineurs SP. Same mock-serious, yet impish, style. And what about Adam's open-armed gesture and funny face to his fans, after hearing his scores in Kiss n/ Cry?
  9. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:)
  10. aftershocks

ITA, Vash01. At first look on the GP circuit, I wasn't impressed with Adam's new free skate. But it has obviously evolved over the course of the season. And as I said, Adam was likely adjusting to the cross-country move and his new coaching environment. In its current transformation, I think his free skate works very well and has been better packaged for Adam. Obviously Adam is a lot more comfortable with it too. He looks great in the new costume!
  11. aftershocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=AR6WqD734HA&NR=1

Not a clear version, but wonderful to revisit. More great colors for Adam too. :) I have to say, Adam's programs from 2012 and 2013 U.S. Nationals are ones I will enjoy re-watching often, and will always remember fondly.

Way to bring it, AdaRipp! Good luck at 4CCs... Hope its a great send-off to another productive off-season for you, as you prepare for 2013 - 2014.
  12. Primorskaya

Primorskaya New Member

I thought that LP was all kinds of flat and meh as the season began, it's been tweaked ovbiously but I guess what really made a difference was seeing a committed, even joyful, as opposed to anxious, performance of it.
    Hope he ends the season well at 4CC and can't wait to see what he'll come back with next year! Too bad about Worlds, but since quads seem to prime over everything else these days, it was unlikely I'd see any of my favourite US guys there!
  13. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

He had a tough time learning that choreography. I was there once when he and Michael were working on it. I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE it and think it's come a long way.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  14. arakwafan2006

Rafael has totally gained my respect as a coach because Adam's Axel is more than sufficient. Bravo Adam
  15. arakwafan2006

You werent implying that Adam has his programs done by any of these right?

I think that Marcotte's work with pairs is only second to Lori Nichol
  16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Did Adam completely ditch the Mad Men LP from early in the season for this new Incredible LP at Nationals? I thought the Incredibles LP had one too many cutesy moments that seemed awkward for a 20+ years old guy to be doing. I did like his SP. The final combo spin was nice; It didn't look like everyone else. Normally I'm not a fan of guy performing layback, but Adam's version of Kwan layback was very effective.
  17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

He skated happy. And well, tremendously improved jumps, good chore, great coaching change apparently.
  18. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Adam did seem improved. He still as a shot for Sochi. If he doesn't make it though, I think he'd be a nice pairs skater with those gorgeous spins and lines. I know he's not very tall but the twitter pictures show he's really buff and strong! With a tiny girl like Miller or Lam he could feasibly a good partner. Totally random, but I just thought if the 3a and quad don't ever become really consistent for him, it could be a way for him to continue without ending up disappointed.
  19. aftershocks

No, I was referring to Tom Dickson's work with Ross, Alexander J, Jeremy, Matt S, and many other skaters, and to Pasquale's work with Adam last season and with many other skaters, and to Shae Lynn's work with Jeremy and with Adam last season, and to Marcotte's work with Takahashi/ Tran; Duhamel/ Radford; Castelli/ Shnapir; et al. BTW, Lea Ann Miller choreographed some wonderful pairs programs for Shen/ Zhao -- Obviously, my comments in that post went slightly OT.
  20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Me too! ;)
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Came across this SP practice run through (3A, 3F+3T, Rippon 3Lz all landed) video from Nationals: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNxvqmRGNGQ

There are some post-FS quotes in this article (scroll down to the section titled "Rippon likes training 'up the mountain'"): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130201&content_id=41323082&vkey=ice_news

ETA: And here's a video of his partial FS run through from his last full practice in Omaha (it was streamed by IceNetwork but this version was filmed from the stands on the opposite side): http://youtube.com/watch?v=YH1Bz_s6UTg
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I like Adam tons but I dont think he is better than ever.
  23. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ Agreed, I was not a fan of his freeskate. He skates beautifully to classical music. He is a great skater, but I don't know how his team thought that this music was right for him.
  24. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I like Adam a lot, but wasn't real comfortable watching his free skate. However, I do think he was trying to show that he can skate to different types of music and change his image sort of like Jeremy Abbott has done. Adam did train with Jeremy at DSC for a year or so.

Anyway I think the program was already set when he moved to RA at Lake Arrowhead. He is making progress with the 3A (at least I thought it looked better). Maybe once the jumps are more secure he will be able to express this music a little better. I'm willing to wait to see what next season brings.
  25. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I would expect a return to his more classic look. But at least he had fun on the ice, something he has never experienced.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  26. arakwafan2006

watching him learn that from choreography from Siebert he was being challenged. I like the choreography but in hindsight perhaps it was better for another skater. I really like Adam but the suave, debonaire, assertive style is not BEST suited for him though I am head over hills for the choreography. I can assure you that guy works his ASS off every day. I hope he stays with Arutunian. Adam, keep pressing and evolving and growing. You have found your mojo with Rafael. Fantastic job on those Axels.
    sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Sylvia

Dornbush replaces Rippon at Four Continents - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48962&type=media
    "Rippon, who placed fifth at the 2013 U.S. Championships, sustained an ankle injury on Saturday. He is expected to make a full recovery."

This is very unfortunate since Adam needed this chance to boost both his ISU Seasons Best total score and his World Standings rankings for Grand Prix selection.

ETA these tweets by @Adaripp:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

All my best to Adam for a full recovery! So bummed he won't be at 4CCs! :( I think he's shown marked improvement in his triple axel this season. Hopefully by the Olympic season he'll be nailing them cold, like nobody's business! And hopefully he will return to his more classical style in the FS.
  29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wishing him a complete recovery; and whatever style of program/skating allows him to happily reach his potential during the Olympic season.
  30. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Heal up, and be fantastic next year.
  31. apatinar

apatinar New Member

It's not always such a good idea for high level skaters who are supposed to be destined to be bigger stars than they are to just switch to pairs skating because the singles didn't work out to the standard that everyone else and they themselves are expecting... See Naomi Nari Nam...

Although the freeskate was a departure for him and his moves on the ice were cute and made me smile from time to time because of the posing he would do, the actual music itself didn't seem to have a beginning, middle and and end.. it was just something that kept running on and on and on and didn't have any sort of logical sequence..
  32. Fudove

Fudove New Member

Get better fast! :kickass: We missed you at 4CC!
  33. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much of a chance Adam has to make the Olympic team next year. Abbott will still be the one to beat Minor is improving and is consistent and Aaron can land quads like they are nothing. Plus Richard showed this morning when he's on he will get big scores then you have the two kids Jason and also Josh Farris who beat Adam just two weeks ago at Nationals.
  34. Sylvia

Ahem, this is supposed to be a :cheer: thread for Adam Rippon. Considering his subpar Grand Prix season this past fall in the midst of having to adjust to a new coach and training location, I thought he had a very respectable Nationals showing and is on the right track! :)

I'll also add that I was relieved and glad when he ditched Jeff Beck's electric guitar rendition of "Nessun Dorma" after Cup of China and replaced it with an orchestral version. :D
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  35. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

He also had a significant foot injury during last spring and early summer which severely compromised his training time. I agree with you Sylvia
  36. arakwafan2006

Adam has as much of a chance as he wants. He has all the goods but has to deliver them. Adam hopefully will forget the baggage of his past and realize his current state;Good skater, nice spins, good jumps, good presence etc. I think he made a good decision for a coach but Rafaels expertise is on the extreme side of technique vs artistry. Not a bad thing since Adam's artistry is fine the way it is.

I like Michael Siebert's ideas and choreography but i dont think he paid attention to how Adam Rippon moves and how ADAM flows etc. Siebert would probably work for Dornbush, Aaron and perhaps Abbott. Even the Nessun Dorma seemed choppy and not a vehicle for how Adam interprets movement. Better packaging in the programs thats true to Adam's style and Adam believing that he's as good as he is and we're looking at a possible National Champion not simply an Olympic Team Member. All it would take was for Adam to believe it. I just wonder how he would skate if HE BELIEVED that he could be our US champion...
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013