The 2013 Season of Champions Curling Championships

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AragornElessar, Feb 17, 2013.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Jennifer Jones won the Money list on the World Curling Tour for 8 straight years from 2005-2012. She was the best on the planet for 8 years. Probably would have made it 9 had she not had a baby and missed most of this season. Nobody in the history of curling was that dominant. Some even rate Norberg above Jones, but that is a huge mistakes, as Norberg could not win the Money list on the World Curling Tour even once, so even in the years she was winning those World and Olympic titles Jones was always better. Someone who was best in the World 8 years is always better than someone who was 0 years. Schmirler was amazing but was best in the World about 4 years- 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, maybe give her 5 since in 1995 she dominated most of the season even though she fell at the Scotts. Colleen Jones was the best in Canada in a weaker Canadian era, probably benefiting greatly from the tragic passing of the great Schmirler, but was generally owned by the top European teams of her time.

Anyway back to the Brier I thought the Stoughton and Martin game was a tenative game by both teams, but glad Stoughton was able to win. Gushue looks on fire early on. He might surprise some people this week. Glenn Howard was very sluggish it seemed in his 1st game but still won. It is hard to guage how he will do as he struggled at provincials, but he struggled last early in the Brier and by the end of it was playing some of his best ever curling. However this year he hasnt had as good a season as he had last year by a long ways, and his nemisis Kevin Martin and Stoughton were not in the Brier last year.
  2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Same here, only w/me it's been more than just *a* friend who has experienced what she's really like. As I said, my cousin got a front row seat to what she's like and then we've got Family Friends who have been to the last few Scotties and pretty much confirmed what most think of Her Highness.

Anyway...

My boys from the Soo are doing really well so far. Fingers crossed it keeps going on.

Great game between Nlfd and New Brunswick tonight. We had company most of the day, so really didn't get a chance to see much of things, but what we did was pretty great curling. Oh and one embrassing spill by Jamie Koe during the game against Quebec. His face was a pretty great match to the red of his uni. :D
  3. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

NL and Quebec are both off to really good starts including Quebec not just beating Alberta but beating them handily! 1-2 is probably not the way Martin and the boys thought they would have started but they really seem to be having issues with the new stones and reading the ice which has given way to a few picks this way. It doesn't get any easier this way either when they face Team Bicep er uh Northern Ontario today, but if they can get a handle on things like they did last night then I think they'll start to get it going.

Glad Glenn was able to knock off Stoughton. This could very well be a preview of the Trials Final in December. I think tomorrow will really start to give us an idea of where the teams are heading. Gushue is perfect but has yet to face any of the top guns right now. Will be interesting to see what happens!
  4. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Gushue's last 4 games are against MB, AB, ON, and QU. Could be a rough end to the week...
  5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Gotta love those Northern Ontario boys.....what an upset :D against Kevin Martin. Am rooting for them and for the Howard team. Go Ontario......either one :)
  6. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Wow, the boys are just NOT getting their read on the ice and stones, they have yet to face either NL or Ontario now... They could be in BIG trouble if they don't run the table.
  7. Dave of the North

Wow, NB beats Alberta :D - have they ever beaten Kevin Martin? Keeps their very outside chances alive for the playoffs, and puts another nail in AB's coffin. :eek:
  8. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

7-4 can STILL get Alberta a tiebreaker but they have got to get their act together. Grattan certainly earned his win today, and deserved it, but with Newfoundland and Ontario still to play... I fear it may be too late for the boys in blue and yellow. It's unfortunate because it is in his hometown, it's embarrassing to say the least, but I also think that this team may be coming to the end of their partnership. Certainly there is still the Olympic Trials, but they clearly aren't the team they once were. They've been together as a team for nearly seven years which in curling these days is an absolute eternity. I think Martin will be done after the Trials if they don't win. He wants to be on the links in Palm Springs, I can't blame him, he's won absolutely everything there is to win in the sport, but they aren't the dominant team they once were.

Interesting to see where this is going... Newfoundland, Manitoba, Northern Ontario, Ontario and Quebec seem to be the contenders at the moment...
  9. judgejudy27

Martin absolutely owns Howard and Gushue in head to head play at the Brier over the years. If he can win his next 4 vs seemingly very beatable teams, and have recovered close to his best form by then, he could well still win 6 in a row and make the playoffs. Not saying it will happen though.
  10. Dave of the North

The hard part starts tonight for NL, facing Jeff Stoughton. (Also for NB, facing ON. A win would be huge, if unlikely :p...). I was a little worried today PEI hung in there against NB right up to the end.

I guess CCA doesn't want anyone from the east Coast watching the late draws the rest of the week - starting 10:30 our time...
  11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yep, the last telecast of the Briar is too late for us early risers. So NL lost their 1st which I figured they would...they have some of the more "fightin" teams to play now, I believe. Howard still hangin' in, woot woot. I hope NO rallies and comes back strong today. Could care less about Martin, although he seems to be improving his record against a couple of the weaker teams........what a whiner.
  12. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I think Martin is looking for excuses to justify the lousy play. A lot of times when things don't go someone's way, they look for something to blame. Granted these stones and the ice by comparison to past events (and I live in this city and have been to the arena many times) have been pretty lousy, but the other teams are adjusting and getting the information they need on the stones. Looking at the schedule, they can certainly still make a tiebreaker, but they HAVE to win out, realize what made them the best team in the world for 3 years, and get back to that level, because if they don't, they face the possibility of a losing record, which would be beyond embarrassing. Ontario and Manitoba are looking the best so far. Nothing too flashy but just solid and consistent so far.
  13. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I would add NL to this list as well. Other than a bad end in last night's game, Gushue & co have been playing extremely well with very high percentages.
  14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I saw that Canada's junior women managed only a 3-6 record in the round robin at Junior Worlds (5-4 record would have gotten the team into a 5-way tiebreaker)...
  15. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Managed to make it home for the last 5 ends of ON/NL. Some great shots by both teams but ON pulls it out in the 10th to stay undefeated.
  16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

What a great game between Ontario and NL.........curling at its finest.
  17. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Yeah our junior women have struggled not just this year, but we haven't won a junior women's world title since Marilese Miller (Now Kasner) made an insane angle run back against the US women in the final in 2003 to win it, there's been silver and bronze, but no title. So another year goes by that we don't win.

I'm starting to think that 7-4 just may get a tiebreaker, which for Martin would be an absolute miracle after the week he has had here. It's still up in the air as to who will be in the playoffs. Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Newfoundland, Northern Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan all still have a chance, though one of Alberta or SK will be eliminated from that equation tonight when they play each other. Northern Ontario is still struggling a bit, I think with chemistry and what seems like Ryan Fry ganging on on Jacobs, blaming a lot of their problems on him which I don't think his fair. Ontario and Manitoba are still playing the best. NL has yet to beat the big guns right now.
  18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Martin beat Gushue this afternoon... he's still in it.
  19. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

As well as a Territories win over Manitoba. These boys are talented, if they could get out of the north more often, they'd be contending consistently, but the costs and time away from family doesn't allow that. I am pulling for Martin and the boys to at least get into a tiebreaker, this is the ONE time they'll get to play on home ice at the Brier.

They need help though. Northern Ontario really helped themselves out by winning last night against Stoughton. There are a ton of scenarios that can get him in or keep him out. Ontario is by far the best team. Glenn is making great shots, but the team behind him is really making great shots to make his job easy. They'll either be unbeaten or 10-1 at the worst. Going to be an intriguing final draw tonight!
  20. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Barring a miracle, I think the playoff teams will be Ontario, Newfoundland, Northern Ontario and Manitoba I think Alberta is pretty much eliminated unfortunately. Manitoba plays BC and Northern Ontario plays Nova Scotia. I highly doubt MB or NO lose to NS or BC.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  21. Dave of the North

I agree, though both MB and NO have looked inconsistent. I was wondering how they decide second if there is a 3 way tie:

"And should Newfoundland/Labrador, Manitoba and Northern Ontario all finish with 8-3 records, they will be ranked based on their pre-game draw to the button cumulative distances, which won’t be finalized until shortly after tonight’s games begin. All three teams finished 1-1 in head-to-head games, which is the first tiebreaker."

I've noticed Brad Gushue seems more relaxed this year - not getting uptight when things go sideways. of course, they haven't gone sideways very often this week.
  22. AragornElessar

That was one heck of an interesting end to the Round Robin tonight. Fun to watch too. :D

WTG Northern Ontario!!! Go get em in the Playoffs Boys!!
  23. judgejudy27

I wonder if any team has won their last 6 games at a Brier or Scotties and still not made the playoffs before, not even a tiebreaker.
  24. judgejudy27

Stoughton the last 2 days has been so bad. He hasnt been great at any stage of the Brier for that matter, but has ended the RR in really poor form and almost inexplicably even fell way backwards into a tiebreaker despite ending with an easy schedule. If he doesnt improve his play Howard is going to crush him in the 1-2 game.
  25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the fans and the organizing committee who were likely counting on Martin making the playoffs, but I certainly don't feel bad for them personally. They've won everything there is to win in the sport. Martin is done regardless after this season. He won't be doing seniors. He wants to be on the links in Palm Springs. As I said, I think this is the team basically focusing on the Olympic Trials, but coming to the end of their partnership. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Johnny Mo head back east to Ontario after this season.

Even with the loss last night, Glenn Howard remains the favorite. He's calm, consistent and they're the best team easily this week. Everyone else is going to have to raise their game 3 levels and Howard has to drop his, but I just don't see it happening.
  26. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

First a belated congratulations to the Rachel Homan team. May you curl as strongly at Worlds. Happy for Kelly Scott to win the Bronze as you could see it really meant something to them and that certainly doesn't always happen. I like Heather Nedohin too but she is just so wound up all the time it can hurt to watch her - also I thought that last year she had so many lucky breaks to win her title it drove me crazy. This year the Homan team curled very well to win their title. Certainly though I had to pull for Jennifer Jones team from my home province, and would have been very happy to see her go to Worlds, I feel we are sending a strong team that I don't think will doubt their own abilities if the chips are down.

FYI, a very premature report I heard said that if the Homan team wins the Olympic Trials then Jones Manitoba team as runner up will become Team Canada at 2014 Scotties. I know the ladies would all rather focus on the Trials but I guess this way their won't be any surprises if it should happen.

Now a couple of Brier comments. Howard team is not my favourite as I find Glen rather sulky when things don't go his way, but I have to say they certainly look good. I will admit I want Stoughton to win it all but I am not particularily confident that he can do it this year. I have been most impressed by the younger Northern Ontario and Newfoundland Labrador teams. Gushue has actually looked the best to me of all the skips this week, even in the games he lost. Here's hoping for some great playoff games and a great winner.
  27. judgejudy27

Howard and Stoughton game is good so far. It looks like Stoughton has found his game for his contest which I guess shouldnt be surprising. The veterans seem to have that knack even when they hadnt been looking good. Howard still has control of the hammer so far though.
  28. judgejudy27

Glenn Howard is not my favorite either. Cant really explain why though, good guy and great curler and good sportsman, just doesnt have the personality or aura that excites me the way his brother Russ always did, and the way Kevin Martin does. I do like the team mostly since I am a big fan of the front end, and have been since their days of curling for Morris.

Although I like Jennifer Jones I am glad Homan is going to Worlds since Jennifer does not have a good Worlds record (for whatever reason) so want to see Canada send a team with better chances to win. I wouldnt mind if Jones went to the Olympics as she has no past record there to go by, good or bad.
  29. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

:eek:

Well well, Kudos to Northern Ontario today. They really came out to play today and fully deserved the win. I think Glenn was still bothered after yesterday. A couple of bad shots really cost them and Northern Ontario and the boys really made them pay for it. It's been a long time since Northern Ont won it, so I wouldn't mind seeing them win tonight. Will be a tough final.

I can't bring myself to cheer for Stoughton. Gotta go with Northern Ont.
  30. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Cheering for NO because I'd really like to see someone other than the big 3 at Worlds. But I wouldn't be upset with Stoughton as Canada's entry.
  31. heinz

heinz New Member

I'm so sad for Team Ontario! SUch a disappointing loss for them yesterday and then I think today N. Ontario was just riding high on their win from last night and that made today's game tough. Kudos to N. Ont for putting the pressure on ON. Wish there couldn've been a different outcome.
  32. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Brad and team Northern Ontario for winning the Brier! Canadian Men's Champions! They really stepped it up after their losses, and played the best out of any of the teams left. They played well and made Jeff pay for every single one of his mistakes. They really are the four strongest guys out there and it's paid off. They made some amazing shots this week and Brad really has improved his soft game, he's always been able to hit with the rest of the team, but it was the finesse game and the draws, and it really paid off here.

2013 I believe is the start of a new era in Canadian Curling, first 23 year old Rachel Homan wins, and Brad is only 27. I think we are starting to see the next generation really set in and take over. I don't think many people actually picked these guys to win it, they had the talent and were certainly a playoff team, but I don't believe many people thought they would win it this year. They proved that they are just as good as anyone else in the country.

That being said, The Maple Leaf on their back is a whole other story, they are now going to be the target of everyone at Worlds. They haven't had this kind of pressure or expectation on them. I think Worlds is now officially a toss-up with Niklas Edin, Thomas Ulsrud and Tom Brewster (who has added David Murdoch at third). The boys are certainly capable of winning it all, they proved that this week, but now that they face a seasoned international field, that adds a level of pressure, especially now since the eyes of the country are now upon them as to try and win it all. I expect there to be a couple of hiccups, but I have have every expectation that they will at least be on the podium.

This certainly adds a curveball to the Olympic Trials Field now if they do indeed grab one of the spots prior to the Pre-Trials which I expect they will do along with Mike McEwen.
  33. AragornElessar

MOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSE!!!

Way to go Boys!! Ever since beating NFLD yesterday, the entire team was just in such a zone and it just seemed they couldn't be rattled. The shots made over the last two days...WOW!! It's really been such a great treat to watch the incredable show those guys put on out in Edmonton this weekend and the entire week too. As kyle stated, this does feel like the start of a new era in Cdn Curling. Congratulations to all of them for giving us such an amazing and fun week of out of this World Curling. :)

So proud of Brad and the Boys for giving us a Brier Championship for the first time in far too long and I can only imagine the Party that's going on at the Club up in the Soo right now. :D

Good Luck at Worlds in Victoria Guys and enjoy tonight and the Homecoming this week!!!

Team Northern Ontario 2013 Brier and Canadian Champions.

WAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!
  34. judgejudy27

I think Brad Gushue might be the one most frusterated to see this result. Not only has he continued to be in the shadows of the veteran Canadian teams, but in the last few years he has been passed by by Mike McEwan, and now probably by Brad Jacobs as well, skips and teams younger than his (although hard to guage his team since it is totally new every year it seems, lol). You have to wonder if he will ever win a Brier.
  35. AragornElessar

Well, considering what the economic realities are in Nfld, it's harder to keep a young team together there than anywhere else in Canada other than the Territories from what I know. I mean....Even Linda was asking on behalf of the boys for someone in the St. John's area who needed hard working and smart workers to hire them.

It's a sad reality of the times, but I can't help but wonder if Brad will need to leave Nfld in order to win a Brier. I hope not, but if he and the guys can't find a job there, then what other choice will they have?
  36. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Congrats to Northern Ontario - as AragornElessar said, totally in the zone. It was a marvel to watch. Best of luck at Worlds boys. I don't mind seeing new young blood out there either. Aside from the brilliant execution, for the most part I thought their shot selection was great - just enough outside-the-box thinking to keep them unpredictable and their opponents slightly off balance.

Just a comment about Gushue - I think he was playing better this year than I have seen in a long time. I really liked the chemistry of this team and wish they could stay together and develop but with 2 of the lads graduating this year and looking for work, it might be tough to keep the team together. That would be a shame.
  37. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Probably no surprise to be seeing Sigfridsson, Homan and Muirhead at the top of the leaderboard early on in the round robin at Women's worlds in Latvia. Should be quite the battle again for the playoff spot (thinking it's Sidorova's year to make a splash)
  38. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Ugh, losing to the US was completely unnecessary. They had every chance to win, they have a tough day against Sweden tomorrow, if she wins that I'll have more confidence, but as it stands... Homan's play still isn't convincing me.
  39. judgejudy27

Homan played really against Sweden even though they lost. They might be back on track.
  40. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Three cheers for Team Homan..........hope they're back on track for good. After some early problems, they seem to have figured out the crappy ice (roof leaks and all). I'll be watching when I can. I actually have a playoff game myself tomorrow........going for the win......just like Rachel et al. You go girls!!!!!