The 2013 Season of Champions Curling Championships

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AragornElessar, Feb 17, 2013.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That's right. It's that time of the year and The Scotties had their Opening Day today w/some really impressive games during both Draws, but that team from Quebec really pushed Nova Scotia tonight. Really impressed w/them and I don't think anyone should make the mistake of underestimating them of their chances.

I also hope the one player for Quebec isn't too badly bruised or banged up after that hard fall she took while sweeping a rock during the last couple of ends of the game. She laughed it off, but it was a pretty hard fall and she could have easily hurt her one knee as it looked like it took the brunt of the impact. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does...Yikes!!!

So...Anyone already have a favourite picked? We'll be cheering for the Territories as usual, as well as our girls from Ontario.

And not cheering for the Princess from Manitoba.

So....Yeah, pretty much par for the course for this house come Scotties time. :D

Also tomorrow is Sandra Schmirler Day and it's a pretty great cause the Foundation supports too. I hope the Annual Telethon's a huge success for them. :)

And...Awwwwwaaaay we go!!! :D
  2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Nova Scotia played way too defensively, they needed that game terribly. Had Kim made either of her draws in 10 they likely would have stolen because their stones wouldn't have gone anywhere but Quebec got there first that last end got away from them. Their schedule now is Canada, Manitoba, BC so they could very well be 0-4 after their first four which of course is not what they wanted. I think they can beat Canada and BC but they're going to have to be at their very best. I'd love to see them in the playoffs!
  3. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

That was a huge mistake by Suzanne Birt in the first game against Man. Missed the takeout and gave up a steal of 2 instead of getting 3.

Hoping for NB as always...
  4. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Ugh, was really hoping NS would beat the loudmouths on Team Canada, they had a chance but Mary-Anne's last shot just curled too much. Ugh, their poor schedule doesn't get any better either with BC tonight and MB tomorrow. As much as I adore BC I would like to see NS come through with a win tonight. Ugh, Jennifer Jones wasn't missing either, BC got hammered. Sasha and Kelly struggled with their draw weight.

Looks like this is Ontario and MB's event to lose.
  5. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I have a love hate with Heather Nedohin. She is not full of herself and cocky on the plus side, but she is full of horse shoes on the minus side and it drives me nuts to see her get those game-breaking lucky shots when the other team is outcurling her team and just can't get a break.

Kelly Scott is sounding a bit more normal in voice tone and inflection this year so doesn't seem to grate on my nerves as before. She couldn't buy a good shot against Manitoba this morning though and will need to pick up her socks.

I watched last night's Nova Scotia v Quebec game and have never seen duller strategy or half shot making in my life. No excuse for the half shots at this level as they were not tricky shots by any stretch of the imagination for 95% of the game. Well okay, maybe some getting used to the ice excuses could be made but the style of play here was very bad for the reputation of the sport and everyone could have just skipped the first 8 3/4 ends without missing anything at all.

Since I didn't have any favourites in that game I sure would have liked to see a lot more intricate game to at least add some tension to the evening.

I like the Quebec skip's attitude and though even as a I write, Devereux, the NL skip is really having a bad game, I quite like her demeanor too. Also Crawford from NB looks calm and cool under pressure. It's actually a nice field this year.

It should be interesting to see how the new schedule affects the teams at the end of the week. There will only be 2 games per day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully it will allow teams to build up stamina instead of tiring them out early. It certainly should make the last part of the week more interesting as far as who is still in with a good chance at the playoffs.

Oh and I will be a dissenting voice here and declare that I am sticking with my home province team - go Jennifer go!
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. AragornElessar

Does anyone know why they were saying that it was impressive Her Highness was back so soon after having a new baby, which I knew, and a new knee. Now that I didn't hear about and we're all wondering...!?! Kyle, anybody?

I like the new sked, as it's not only easier on the teams, but the fans too. Back in 2001 when Sudbury hosted, I had to beg off the Morning draws as I just couldn't do it and the rest of the day too. This will make the entire week easier on everyone and I like it!! :)
  7. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Jennifer's left knee which is often the case for curlers was royally effed up so she had to have reconstructive surgery to fix it. This was scheduled as far as I know before she even got pregnant with Brent Laing's child (while he was in a relationship and had a child with another woman to boot...) :shuffle:

Poor Mary-Anne Arsenault :( This is just clearly not their week. I think Colleen still has a little bit too much influence with the defensive strategy. I get why they're doing it, it won them 5 Scotties, but that was 9 years ago and the game has clearly changed. If they're to have any kind of chance, they need to put rocks in play and start executing.

Team Alberta... :yikes: that's all I'll say about that.

Right now Ontario and Manitoba are looking like the two best teams bar none. Saskatchewan is doing quite well in their debut with Jill Shumay but she played a good final over Lawton and theyre not too bad. BC had a really bad game against MB, they had a good win over NS but they're going to need to up their game if they want to have a shot at the final again. We shall see by Wednesday I think what really is going to happen with who is going to be in the playoffs.
  8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm a voluteer at the Scotties in media, so I can watch as many games there as I like :). Seriously rooting for Ontario and feel they have the skills to win it all. I'll be working the media bench today so I may have to deliver interview requests to some of the curlers. My better half is a score keeper, sitting rinkside in a red baseball cap lol. It should be a great curling week. Already one can see the "cream rising to the top". Sask is a big surprise.
  9. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Wow what a barnburner of a game between BC and Ontario. Kelly made a perfect draw in the extra and Rachel just followed her right down and tapped it out and easily made it for the win. That was worthy of a Scotties final.

Unfortunately BC 2-2 and NS 0-4 are starting to fall behind. Though I don't expect Saskatchewan to stay perfect for long, they haven't played the favorites yet. But they fought through against Alberta in a game that AB had the entire time and yet still managed to lose... Man, with Bernard and Nedohin not at AB Provincials this year, I'm hoping next year with them returning, we can get a rep that's worthy of representing us at the Scotties, Moore is one of the best sweepers in the country so having her skip is such a waste in my view.

The Olympic Trials are also starting I think to get a better idea, I think Rachel Homan and probably Chelsey Carey will get two spots, and possibly Sherry Middaugh with the last two spots to be determined at Pre-Trials this November, I think right now our best shot at Olympic Gold lies with Rachel Homan. She's fearless, young, can throw the up-weight easily but also proved that she can play the soft finesse game today. J. Jones has consistently proved at the world level that you never know what you're going to get with her as proved by her wildly inconsistent results at worlds.

That being said, there is still lot of event left this week and anything can happen. BC is starting to play better and I think will be in the playoffs at the end of the week. I don't think SK's momentum will hold.
  10. AragornElessar

First off...Thanks kyle for the info about Her Highness and her knee. Wow about the info about Bret Laing though. Yikes!!

Second...Holy freakin Classic this afternoon!!! Kelly and Rachel really put on one heck of a show and then some and as you said kyle, it was only a Round Robin game too. But what a Round Robin game!!! :D
  11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I was standing rinkside and it was a nailbiter. Rachel won tonight's game too against NB, but it was not one of her best games. PEI finally came thru with a win vs. Sask., and Jennifer and Heather both creamed their opposition.
  12. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Bah! BC lost to Team Canada, but their three hardest games are out of the way and quite frankly if they don't win their next 5 then I'll be disappointed. They lost to the teams they might be expected to, but now they've got to get on a roll. Team Canada played their best game of the week. I have no doubts that Kelly Scott can beat Heather Nedohin, especially with Jeanna Schraeder back but they have got to start executing. It also doesn't help that their lead is sick now :( Ugh, hope it can stay away from the rest of the team.

Ontario and MB really I think are playing the best. I like how Homan has calmed down, she's still got the attitude, you can tell but she's at least being a bit more mature and not acting like a spoiled brat like she did in 2011. This team has all the shots in their arsenal. I would love to see them win it this year if BC can't.

I think it's going to be one helluva fight for that 4th playoff spot right now. BC, PEI, SK, QUE, NB, and even NS are all still in contention for that final spot. I think NS is probably out because they have to face Ontario yet (if only they'd beaten Quebec in their opener... le sigh), but as I said before, SK likely won't hold their momentum. I'm expecting BC to squeak through with the last spot, but right now that one is anyone's guess.

Glad to see though that NS rebounded with two wins today. Colleen curled 95% in the game against SK tonight, so good for her! If Kim Kelly can start executing a bit more, they might make it exciting towards the end. Maybe go 6-5, which isn't out of the realm of possiblity for a tiebreaker. If they beat Ontario, I'll shave my eyebrows and streak through West Edmonton Mall.
  13. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Can't see anyone breaking through the Heather/Rachel/Jennifer stranglehold at the top, and it'll probably be Kelly for the 4th spot...7-4 might get a tie-breaker (maybe)
  14. Dave of the North

So it will be CAN, MB, and ON tied at 10-1 at the end of the week, and somewhere from 3 to 6 teams tied at 6-5 . Can you say holy tiebreakers?:lol::p

ETA: Go-oo-o NB Go-o-oo-o PEI
  15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

A "nailbiter" between Ont and NS last night, which was a surprise. Hope Ontario can get their numbers up again. They'll need to.
  16. Dave of the North

NWT now tied with BC 5-5 after 5; hoping for NWT to win to bring BC back so that NB still has a chance for a tiebreaker. Of course NB has to beat Jennifer Jones...:lol:
  17. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I have either been too nervous to watch the televised game, or not invested enough to pay attention - depending on who is playing. What a week and such a split between the top 2 teams and the others. Reminds me of the last time Stoughton won the Brier.

Ah found the VOD and watching it now.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Can Ont. beat Man.?............fingers x'd. I'd like to see some fresh faces as Team Canada.
  19. AragornElessar

What a great game tonight's 1-2 Playoff was and also fantastic to see Her Highness run out of rocks finally this week. Here's hoping Rachel and the Team keeps it going into tomorrow night's Championship Final.

Go Team Canada Go in the Semi Final tomorrow morning!!!

Speaking of Team Canadas...

Cdn Curling Association ~ Canada Claims Gold Medal At Wheelchair Worlds

The Wheelchair Worlds are/were the very first major Curling event to take place and "christen" the new building. World Jr's will also be held there and is the Olympic Venue Test Event for Curling, but after reading the article and what the Skip of Team Canada said about the building and Sochi in general, it sounds like this venue is more than ready to Welcome The World. :)

Congratulations to Team Canada!!! WTG Guys!!! :D :D :D :D
  20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Good for the Wheelchair curlers.:) They are truly skilled at what they do with no sweepers. And GOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Team Ontario today. That was a terrific game last night.
  21. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Wow Ontario absolutely played it lights out last night. So impressive! Solid as a rock and they really didn't miss much. I am really pulling for them in the final tonight.

Today is a day that that Team Canada will not reflect on well. They had their chances to win that semi this morning against MB but that steal of 2 in 8 pretty much killed them. so back to the final it is for the wench from Manitoba.

and can I just absolutely say YAY for Team BC! It absolutely floors me when people say "She's too nice or too sweet!" I just :rolleyes: every time I hear that. Curling couldn't have had a nicer and classier bunch of ladies to represent it. They had their best game of the week today and really deserved that win. What a wild game too but I knew they were more than capable of beating Nedohin and they finally did that today. Kelly is the kindest woman you'd ever want to meet so for her to come back and get up and be motivated for this game is great.

This should also guarantee them a spot into pre-trials as well.

Onto the final! Hope for a repeat of last night!
  22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Question from someone with VERY limited curling info (I saw the movie with Paul Gross and Molly Parker if that counts for anything.): Is Team Canada represented by individuals from different teams or by the team that emerges on top in a playoff?
  23. Dave of the North

Team Canada that played this week is last year's champion (Heather Nedohin) - they got a bye to this year. The winner this year (Ontario) goes to Worlds and becomes Team Canada next year. Team Canada is not individuals from different teams.

Quite a final, momentum swings both ways; key misses by Jones were very costly.
  24. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:respec::respec::respec: Yeahhhh Team Ontario. These girls are crazy talented. Too many great shots to mention.......
  25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Rachel Homan is the 2013 Scotties Tournament of Heart Champion! That's awesome! You would figure that there would be some nerves in that final but nope! They were rock solid again and showed that they aren't afraid of any shot regardless. I actually think now that they are the favorites going in to the World Championships. That being said, with them being held in Latvia, ice conditions will probably be a lot straighter than they are used to but hopefully they bring in some good ice makers to the venue because rock for rock, right now, if Homan plays like she did this week, only Eve Muirhead is who stands in her way right now. That is going to be an intense and bitter rivalry for many years to come, could be a preview of the Sochi Olympic Final.

Many congrats to Rachel and to Team Ontario, as well to Team BC for rebounding and winning that bronze medal! I would have liked to have seen BC or Nova Scotia win it this week but I'm just as satisfied with Rachel Homan winning it. They were the best team on the weekend and came through with that Scotties trophy. They are only in their 20's, the amount of titles they could win yet still is just scary.
  26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thank you---I like the idea that you live and die as a team. I plan to know more by the time the Olympics start.
  27. heinz

heinz New Member

What an awesome game last night!! I love the Homan team. It is so refreshing to see a woman's team that has worked hard to play the upweight so accurately, but can still draw and play the quiet game. I think she's here for a long time and will only get even better with more experience.
  28. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Team Ontario is the only team I know of that "ticks" the guards (at least here in Canada), but I bet more will be trying it next year. Great that all of them can do the "up weight" with total accuracy. If they don't win Worlds this year (and I agree they will be the favs), then it will be another year. I hope they make it to the Olympics in Sochi. It does look promising. They like the noise in the arena when they are playing, and their "outside voices" are not as piercing as most others (I didn't have to "mute" for their shots :lol: I also like that they are more subdued when they make a great shot.......great sportsmanship. (I wish I could do that at the club level :)). Great evening, great curling!!!!
  29. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The fact that Rachel was still playing quite aggressive without last rock in 8th even though she was already up 7-4 - shows that Ontario is capable and willing to play any style of game, actually confusing teams in the process...I wonder if this will start a trend away from the old-school mentality of teams being only offensive/defensive modes for the entire game.
  30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think they can win Worlds but I dont agree they are the favorites. They will be facing Eve Muirhead who dominated them for years in juniors, and has much more international experience at the adult level, a Swedish team who played extremely well last year and bested the greatest of all time Anette Norberg to make it to Worlds for a 2nd straight year, and a veteran Swiss team which beat reigning World Champion Mirijam Ott to make it to Worlds. Also Canada wins so rarely at the World level anymore (last was in 2008) that it is hard for me to think of them as favorites until they do again.
  31. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

A) They never played at the World Junior Curling Championships against Eve Muirhead and B) this is Women's play and not junior play, it's a totally different world from one to another and these girls are so past that point.

Just because one team beat another does not mean that is going to automatically translate into success at the World level. Tirinzoni has been to worlds several times and her best record is 6-5, perhaps she will do better this year, but Ott got hot at the right time last year and it translated into success for her by finally winning a world title. Tirinzoni can be good, but they can also be very inconsistent.

Sigfriddson will be tough to beat, but with Homan, they are more than capable of beating them. Homan came through this week more mature and subdued than I have ever seen her, they made the right call at the right time and didn't get down when things may not have been going their way. I also attribute that to Earle Morris who has really done a 180 with this team. The calibre of shot making that I saw out of Homan this week was something that I have not seen in a Canadian Ladies team in a very long time. Even with Jones at the top of the heap this week, the runbacks and run doubles and ticks and slashes were extremely difficult and done with ease and precision.

If there's one thing that Eve Muirhead shown is that while she is capabale of dominating, she can also be wildly inconsistent, she proved that at the Worlds last year with many expecting her to win, she didn't even make playoffs and lost to the Russians at the recent European Finals, so you never know what you're going to get. Homan also beat her this season in an arena at a Grand Slam event, so I'm not worried about their ability to beat Murihead.

I think we'll see Homan do quite well this year.
  32. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Enjoyed Scotties final. Look forward to watching Team Homan at worlds. I think Earle Morris has done a wonderful job coaching them. They have a calm, unruffled look even when they're down.
  33. AragornElessar

I am so happy I'll be able to cheer Team Canada on at the Womans Worlds in Latvia in a few weeks. If The Princess and the team had won, that wouldn't have been happening and I hate it when that happens. Anyway....

So thrilled for Rachel and the Girls. They made some great shots the past week and none better than that double take out last night. I didn't see a whole lot of the game due to the Oscars, but I saw that one. :D

And ITA w/what you said about Kelly Scott. The way she and the rest of Team BC treated Team Quebec after their last Round Robin game was proof of that. As they were shaking hands, you could clearly hear Kelly and the others saying...

"Thanks for the game and have a safe trip home...It was great getting to know you this week, hope to see you again soon...Hope you have a problem free trip home..."

And so on...Mom was impressed, but all I said was that it wasn't any surprise to me, as over the years I've always had that impression of Kelly and her Team. I really do hope her finish here gets her and the girls a Trials spot, as they've still got game in them and would be worthy of being our Team Canada on the Women's side of things in Sochi.

As would Rachel and her Team too. However, they've got a World Championships to represent us as Team Canada at first and I wish them all the luck in the World going to Latvia. I also think that if the team we saw this week shows up there, then Eve Muirhead has some problems on her hands.

That's the Scotties. Next stop is the Brier and what a field too!! Can't wait for Saturday to roll around and the coverage to start. :D
  34. Dave of the North

Brier starts in less than 24 hours!

Fun twitter :

https://twitter.com/FakeCCA

ETA: latest tweet: "So we are going with the opening draw and no Martin-Stoughton or Howard. I got a set of big ones, don't I"

This sort of comment annoys me, there was a lot of whiny comments like that during TOH. Only three rounds can feature a match-up between Martin-Stoughton-Howard. That leaves 14 that won't have a match-up between them. Even if you extend to include NL and NO that's only 10 rounds max that would have a "marquee match-up".
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  35. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is such a shame the lack of respect the great Jennifer Jones gets on this site. She is arguably the greatest Canadian womens team of all time and deserves respect. She is also a wonderful and classy lady.

The Brier will be a good event with 3 proven Champions who have roughly equal chances to win. On form this season I would probably pick Stoughton slightly though.
  36. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:shuffle: That's debatable, at least in my experience.
  37. AragornElessar

*blinks*...*snort*...*snicker*....BAHWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh...Forgive me. You're actually serious. Well, I've noticed parallels over the years when it comes to people and the athletes they like/cheer for, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But hey, I guess if you think someone who acts like an entitled little witch, who does not treat the fans well, treated Cathy Overton-Claptom the disgusting way she and the others did, has a reputation of not showing up for fan things at the Worlds she's been to and thanks to my Cousin who works at Rama who told me the way she acted and treated the Staff there during the one and only time she's ever been invited to the Skins Game over the years; that she did *not* win any friends or influence people is a "wonderful and classy lady", then that's your right.

Just don't come in here and try to defend Jennifer and then get all upset and outraged over how the rest of us and majority of fans that I've chatted w/over the years feel about her. There's a reason why she gets called The Princess or Her Highness around this house and it's not because of how she plays. I always say there's more to being a Champion than what you do on the field of play and that's why Jennifer belongs to the group of athletes I refer to as Title Holders only. Not a Champion. Not even close.

I'm not going to ask, as it's up to you if you want to share, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I also wasn't curious. :)

Hmmm...Some interesting play so far and also some comments about the rocks too. Is it just the First Day of Play and the ice hasn't really been "broken in" properly yet or could something have happened to the Rocks between the Scotties and the Brier? These are the same rocks being used, right? Regardless, Kevin's just a wee bit "off" for some reason and he wasn't really playing that well before Christmas on the Grand Slam circuit either, so....Hmmm!!

And no sooner do I say that...LOL!!! What a shot and Way To Go Boys for getting him there too!!
  38. Dave of the North

Jennifer Jones is so last week. It's Brier time, baby! :p

That shot NS played this afternoon, then gave up 5 - I think we already have a winner for worst shot of the week...
  39. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Nothing :sekret: really... just observations/encounters at a few events over the years, plus a good friend who works in sports media has told me some stories about her that make "wonderful and classy" seem kind of farfetched.

Good game between Martin and Howard tonight. Gushue played lights out in both of his games today (granted, against weaker opponents).
  40. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Greatest Canadian Women's Team of All Time? Pfft...

Sandra Schmirler anyone? Or even Colleen Jones... But without question Sandra and her team are the greatest Canadian Women's Team ever.