The 2012 Kennedy Centre Honours

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

What...No thread yet?

Mom was on the phone during the majority of Dustin Hoffman's part and I really couldn't hear what DeNiro was saying and then the others thanks to Mom talking over it. So have it on now on the West Coast CBS and not only do I know now what I missed, but am completely enjoying the show one more time. :)

Awesome show as usual. My highlights...

The entire Natalia Makarova Tribute performances, but especially that duet from Giselle. That was breathtakingly sublime. I not only had chills racing down my spine, but tears running down my face at the end of it. Sigh...So good!!

The Buddy Gay Tribute performances. All of them were wonderful and the best part was watching the Obamas getting into the music and doing a wee bit of subtle chair dancing during it all.

I don't usually care for Ray Romano, but tonight he had me laughing the entire time during his time on stage for David Letterman's salute. Same w/Jimmy Kimmel.

The whole Led Zeppelin part just...Well...No pun intended, but it's all I can think of to say about it.

It ROCKED!! :D

It's always a highlight of the Holidays in our House, and although Mom ended up being a bit late to the Party, it was a highlight of these Holidays too. :)

Wondering what everyone else thought.
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I had started a thread awhile back when the honorees were announced ... it must be on page 12 or thereabouts. ;)

Haven't seen it yet ... a friend is taping it for me. I love Dustin Hoffman, and I'm happy he's finally being honored. I heard that the tribute to Hoffman went off first. I'm also looking forward to seeing the Makarova and Led Zeppelin segments, as well as First Lady Obama in that sparkly dress. :)
  3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We DVRed it last night, so we're looking forward to playing it back some time today. One of our favorite awards shows, along with the Tony awards.
  4. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Itt was really good, better than usual in my opinion.
    My favorite part was the Led Zepplin tribute. It did ROCK
    Robert Plant was crying while the Hearts were doing Stairway To Heaven, did anyone else notice that? They really seemed to enjoy the tribute. Great that Jason Bonom(sp?) was there in his fathers place.
  5. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I particularly enjoyed Natalia Makarova's tribute; and imagined what she was thinking when the other dancers were performing...

Hated the camera in each honouree's face....

Fell asleep before Led Zep...luckily we dvr'd it...
  6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i love ann wilson, she still sounds so great.
  7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Missed it! Darn. I wanted to see the Makarova tribute. Hopefully, it'll be on YouTube later.
  8. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Hello,

It was a great show. Loved it. I am a huge Zeppelin fan, so forgive me if I get carried away. Yes, it's Jason Bonham. Jason and the choir wore bowler hats in tribute to his father (he wore them during some of the 1975 shows). Enjoyed Lenny Kravitz too. I was tearing up right along with Robert Plant during "Stairway to Heaven".

The other standout performances to me were the ballet and Beth Hart with Jeff Beck in the Buddy Guy tribute.
  9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Led Z. was on Letterman that night and Letterman asked if they had received a similar honor in the UK and they said no. I thought perhaps they now had Sir in front of their names. I look at the Beatles, Stones, Who, the Band and Led Zeppelin as the greats when it comes to great bands.

Oh and the NYPD and NYFD serenading The Who and Sting's performance for Bruce Springsteen at the Kennedy Center Honors are among my favorites. I'm now adding Heart and the choir to the list. Excellent!
  10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Thanks Integrity for the names of Beth Hart and Jeff Beck. That really was one of *the* stand out performances of last night and they more than deserved that Standing Ovation the audience gave them. I couldn't remember their names last night, as I was still recovering from getting up at 4am EST for Canada's first game at the World Jr Hockey Championships in Russia, and really wanted to highlight them as one of the highlights for me of last night's show. So Thank You very much for their names!! :)

Did anyone else see Stephen Colbert enjoying himself at various points during the evening? I nearly fell out of my seat during the one shot of him during Led Zeppelin's tribute I was laughing so hard. He had his eyes closed, his head moving w/beat of the song being played at that time and a look of total and complete bliss on his face.

Mom gave me this look and said, "Don't know why you're finding that so funny. Other than closed eyes, that's the same expression you had during that one Dance routine."

And no...I had no comebacker for that. LOL!!!
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

AH PFFFT, I forgot to tape it.

Tonight the Joffrey Maverick of Dance show is on PBS at 9 ET.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

13. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I did notice that he was crying; the rest of them appeared to be very moved by the performance. Loved DeNiro's wisecracks about Dustin Hoffman and Liev Schrieber's apt impersonation. I had no idea that Hoffman had taught acting classes. Also loved Markarova's incredible arms and footwork during the clip of Swan Lake
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

15. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I edited out everything except the intro and film narrative for each honoree, the ballet section, and Beth Hart before I saved it to disk. Those were the keepers for me.

Is Robert Plant the portrait in the closet for Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones?
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

18. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I loved this. Beth Hart was amazing. That song has stayed with me since I watched it and it just gives me chills. And Alina Cojocaru and Giselle are really a perfect combination. She was magnificent.

I also loved Lenny Kravitz and Ann Wilson. I've loved her for years and it's so great to hear her amazing voice again. Stairway to Heaven gave me goosebumps. It was epic.

This is such a great show.
  19. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

We finally watched our recording last night. I always love every segment even if sometimes I've never heard of some of the honerees or don't know much about them to start with. They always do the tributes so well. Highlights for me was all of Dustin Hoffman's - it could have lasted the whole two hours & I would have been happy - I've loved him since The Graduate; the clips of Makarova - her stretch, toe point & gorgeous arms gave me goosebumps; Jimmy Kimmel & Ray Romano; & the entire Led Zeppelin, esp Lenny Kravitz & Ann Wilson. I had forgotten how much I loved Led Zeppelin....but IMO no one has ever sung Stairway to Heaven better than Ann Wilson did that night. I want that rendition on my iPod but done know how to copy it off TV.
  20. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

21. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Forgive me for being dense, but I don't understand this question.
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

23. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

I did not get the "Dorian Gray" reference, thanks for clarifying. Sorry for the thread hijack with the Zeppelin talk, but it's amazing that Jimmy is alive, never mind look great for almost 69 years old. Robert has had a lot of sorrow in his life.
  24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Jimmy Page looks like he's eaten nothing but a macrobiotic diet and has done yoga and has meditated every day of his life for the last 50 years. He must have indestructable genes.
  25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

When I see him now I think of the words glowing and incandescent. He appears to be a joyous person who loves life. I really like this guy.
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sadly, the dance segment is not on the CBS website, but can be found as a stand-alone here, the link tweeted by one of the performers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bzqX-iNinMI

The ballet segment may have been blocked by the Robbins Foundation ("Other Dances"), although, from what I understand, there was more dancing in the actual show, and I don't know what would have stopped them from editing out that (first) segment and starting with "Giselle." It wouldn't have been more difficult than the initial edit. (If they had known in advance, Tiler Peck could have changed out of her "Other Dances" costume for the finale.)

Max Waldman's photo of Makarova in "Other Dances" was one of the iconic ballet posters of the '70's and '80's:
    http://www.contemporaryworks.net/VintageWorks_Images/Full/10375Waldman.jpg
  29. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Jimmy Page is one handsome old man. More surprising since no one expected him to live to see 30! LOL
    John Paul Jones has aged well, but poor Robert Plant looks terrible, which he did not look that bad the last time I saw him which was no more than 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe the poor man is ill.
  30. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Thanks numbers. I had not thought to check iTunes. It's on my iPhone now - it's not the Kennedy Center rendition but it's still beautiful. I bought a couple of other Ann Wilson songs while I was there.