The 2011 World Ladies' Bronze medallist...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, Feb 20, 2011.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

is staying home.

Man, is US Skating in trouble in Tokyo.

2. bek

bek Guest

:rolleyes: Mirai was beaten by two other skaters here, and there's reportedly this other skater who is showing up to Worlds supposedly, who I hear is pretty good. You know the reigning Olympic champ. I think Rachael and Alissa have a good shot at 3 spots.

3. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee Active Member

Worlds 2011 hasn't happened yet.

Worlds 2010 ladies' bronze went to Laura Lepisto from Finland.

Maybe you mean the 2011 4CC bronze medalist, Mirai Nagasu?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

:watch: :argue:

5. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

?

ah...
    yes, it's me..in my post-teenager's dreams...
    I'm staying home, no japan...

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am very confused...

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

No, it's me. I just didn't feel like making the trip.

8. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Suzuki :fragile:

Oh, wait, did you mean someone else? :confused:

Sotnikova! :mitchell:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:confused: WTF?!:shuffle:

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

No, essence_of_soy couldn't have meant Sotnikova, because that would be the potential gold medalist! :lol:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  11. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Actually, it's me. I'm staying home to watch the Dancing With the Stars premiere. Such unfortunate timing.

musicgurl and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

No. Alissa and Rachael deserved their spot for Worlds fair-and-square. At Nationals, it seemed like Mirai just gave up in the long program.

13. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

14. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Top Season's Best Scores among those who are likely to be going to Worlds:

201.34 Miki ANDO JPN Four Continents Championships 2011
    196.30 Mao ASADA JPN Four Continents Championships 2011
    180.75 Alissa CZISNY USA ISU GP Final 2010/2011
    180.31 Rachael FLATT USA Four Continents Championships 2011
    178.60 Carolina KOSTNER ITA ISU GP Final 2010/2011
    178.59 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN ISU GP Final 2010/2011
    169.74 Kiira KORPI FIN ISU GP Trophee Eric Bompard 2010
    165.00 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS ISU GP Skate Canada International
    163.14 Cynthia PHANEUF CAN Four Continents Championships 2011
    154.31 Alena LEONOVA RUS European Championships 2011 29.01.2011
    153.71 Valentina MARCHEI ITA ISU GP Cup of Russia 2010

Even if one assumes that Kim and Lepistö will do well and that Kostner and Murakami will have new Season's Best scores at Worlds, the U.S. team is in the thick of things. Both Czisny and Flatt are medal contenders, and there is a good chance that the U.S. will get a third spot for next year's worlds.

15. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think the OP meant to say 2011 Four Continents Bronze Medalist...

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think they meant to imply that the person who would be winning the 2011 World's Bronze if she were going is in fact not going.

Which is stupid.

17. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint New Member

If Mirai skated as well or a bit better than she did last night, it could happen. That said, much as I love her, I wouldn't hedge any bets on her until she gains some serious consistency in the freeskate.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I like Mirai a lot, but she did not skate well enough at the US nationals. The committee did the right thing going with those who won the first two places at the Nationals. It takes a lot to not go with the results at the nationals, like being a reigning world champ, for example. Mirai's time will come. This will be a learning experience for her. I wouldn't assume that just because she won the bronze at 4CC, she would win a medal at worlds. My interpretation of the OP's post is that she thinks Mirai would have won the bronze at worlds had she been selected to the US team.

19. LuckyCharm

Especially once Flatt and Czisny get win the 3rd spot back this year. Yes, I'm a beliver.:shuffle:

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

What? I thought you were going to be one of the stars! Or can't you confirm until the cast is announced? :)

21. LuckyCharm

;)

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Rachael will medal if all the other girls get sick or just don't show up.

Maximillian and (deleted member) like this.
  23. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ First she needs to dump that LP. It does her no favors.

24. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Yes, if a skater who stays home instead of competing at Worlds still manages to win a bronze medal at Worlds, then the political influence of U.S. Figure Skating is in serious trouble. Up until now, skaters have at least had to show up at a competition to medal.

FWIW, three of the four bronze medalists from 2011 4Cs will not be competing at Worlds.

This is a complete summation of FSU, in two smilies. Really, all I can say in response is: :kickass:

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I agree with this, for the most part...Czisny has demonstrated newfound competence, and even with her just-OK showing at 4CC, shows that even if she's not perfect, she can still challenge for top 6/7 spot and keep us in the running for 3 spots. And Flatt has shown that GPF was just an aberration, rather than the beginning of a downward spiral (I still think she should have WD, but that's over and done with).

Nagasu strikes me as extremely emotional and performs based on what mood she is currently in. If she's not feeling it, she will literally mail it in. But if she is, she is absolutely the best skater we have. Not sure I want someone like that on the world team until she can get her nerves under control.

26. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Does this mean that Japan is not giving Fumie another shot at World bronze because she's forty or something? :p

27. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

As I said before . . .

Mirai was not prepared for Nationals, which was the qualifying competition for Worlds, but, of course, she had a few extra weeks, felt the sting of Nationals, and was prepared for 4CC. Unfortunately, this is not much of a consolation prize.

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Agreed. Mirai is like Alissa -- when they're on, they're both fabulous. But the chance that they're fully on for both the short and the LP is pretty low. Alissa is doing better this year -- no real meltdowns -- but she still is kind of iffy.

Mirai knows perfectly well that US Nationals is the critical competition for qualifying -- think of last year when she ended up on the Olympic team ahead of Ashley Wagner despite Ashley having made it to the GP Final when nobody else did among the US Women. Ashley was crushed.

Mirai made her own bed by failing to work hard in the months up to Nationals, and Frank as much as said so.

29. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The ISU has been accused of being behind the times, so they're trying to change all that. For a limited number of participants, telecommuting was recently sanctioned as a valid option by the ISU Congress. So, the bronze medalist at this year's Worlds, whoever she may be, will either be phoning in her performance or submitting it electronically. If the latter, I sure hope she has a high-speed connection. ;)

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I don't think we can say it's a given Mirai would win bronze at worlds even if she skated perfectly. In fact, if they were all to go clean, I would expect Yuna, Mao, and Miki to all finish ahead of her and further, a totally clean Carolina or Alissa could potentially beat her too. I love Mirai, but this thread is very presumptive.