The 100 Most Overrated Athletes of All Time

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Louise, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Fortunately, I have no clue who half of these people are. So maybe they were/are overrated. But come on, Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose, and Steffi Graf? They are on anyone's all-time great list (or should be).

I'd replace Steffi Graf, pretty much the winningest tennis player in women's tennis history, with someone like Anna Kournikova, who translated her PR into a $100M fortune. Heck I'd even go with Margaret Smith Court as overrated, since she won like a decade or two of Aussie Opens with NO competition, before Steffi.

Here's the link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...4-the-100-most-overrated-athletes-of-all-time

2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

No way should Steffi Graf be on that list. :mad:

I agree with #1 though.

3. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

38. Caroline Wozniacki

´This is simple: You can't be No. 1 in your sport without winning a major tournament.

I don't care if there's some intense algorithm to decide it, it just can't be. The top dogs win the big prizes. ´

And I have to agree!!!

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Some of the reasoning is a bit faulty. George Brett is overrated because he never hit near .390 again after 1980. Okay, then. And who else has? He did have six more seasons over .300 and a career BA of .305.

I'm not sure not being able to beat yourself should be criteria for being labelled overrated.

And I didn't read Steffi Graf's. How could you label her overrated? Did she not win enough for this rater?

5. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Babe Ruth is missing from that list.

6. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I think the only reason why Michelle Wie isn't higher than #68 is that she is still young.

Disagree with Phil Mickelson (#62) but I do think he gets more press coverage than he should because of his family story. I also think the "family story" is the reason Apolo Ohno (#54) gets more coverage than his whole record. Anyone want to name odds on him being in Sochi? The hopes are there, or he wouldn't be getting endorsements (Subway). If he wants to go, shouldn't he begin competing again soon?

Agree that in NO WAY should Steffi Graf be anywhere on this list.

Totally agree with Danica Patrick (#9) being on here.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what's overrated: lists where you can't see the whole thing on one page, but have to click through a hundred freakin' pages. I'm SO tired of that.

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Pierre

Pierre New Member

Agreed.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

And for good reason! :p

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also Murray, but mostly from the British media.

Completely disagree with Graf though.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Pretty dumb list all around. Francoise Durr for example one of the most overrated. Nobody even talks about her today, even serious tennis insiders so how the hell can she be overrated. Someone has to be rated to possibly be overrated.

Also how can someone like Michelle Wie be down in the 70s, rather than say at #1. Insanely overrated, far moreso than almost all the people at the top of the poor list. Steffi Graf more overrated than Michelle Wie, LOL, that is a good one. I guess it is better to be an overhyped wannabee who is famous for being famous than to be a legend. Either that or the no name blog writer is a bitter Seles and/or Navratilova fanboy. Michelle Wie should be far higher on the overrated list than Danica Patrick too, not way below. Patrick can compete with men in her sport, the first women ever to do so successfully. Wie cant even compete well with other women in hers.

Ernests Gulbis. Even serious tennis insiders stopped talking about him a couple years ago, other than briefly mentioning him (but only as a bit topic) after he had some good spring results including a win over Federer last year. How can someone who nobody talks about anymore be overrated. It was natural to hype him with the potential he showed several years ago, which people were quick enough to realize was amounting to little.

Philip Rivers should have won the league MVP several years ago (his stats for the regular season were light years better than Peyton Manning, that years farce MVP winner), and he didnt even get picked for the Pro Bowl. Overrated my ass. Not to mention nobody has ever talked about him as a top 3 QB in the league at any point in time so how can he be that overrated. Speaking of most overrated I didnt notice Peyton Manning anywhere on the list. A good list would have him in the top 20! A great QB of course but nowhere near the best ever, and someone who won many undeserved individual accolades and honors in his career. Brett Favre is indeed overrated too, but big Manning is moreso.

Apollo Ohno. Nobody even talks about him outside of Olympic years, and he won tons of World Championship medals and World Cup medals throughout his career, so the since 2008 thing is meaningless. He hasnt been the best in the World very often, if ever, there is usually atleast 1 Korean much better than him overall, but most everyone knows that. His excellence is based around his longevity as a top skater, and all the medals he has accumulated over a long time frame as a result; along with the fact he is just a cool guy who has put his sport on the map in the U.S, and has an exciting style. It is not like he was ever hyped as someone who dominates his sport like Tiger Woods.

Bryan McCabe at #23! Nobody talks about him much other than the team he happens to be playing for at a given time, and he is only midly overpayed to many others in the league. Another WTF.

Lastly Wozniacki. She is the a ridiculed and constantly dissed #1 who people talk about as if she were a joke. How on earth can that be overrated. She is overrated by the ridiculous WTA computer ranking system, but that is it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  12. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:rofl: Of all the awkward times to say such a thing! :rofl:

Indianapolis pre-Peyton Manning: Generally laughingstock and the nickname "Dolts"

Indianapolis with Peyton Manning: Nine consecutive 10+ win seasons (including, incredibly seven consecutive 12+ wins seasons), as many division titles, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl win.

Indianapolis without Peyton Manning this year: 0 wins, 10 losses.

Hell, nothing has ever driven home the point that a player is a sports God than the Colts' dire straits this season.

Rivers is where he belongs. Most are onto the fact that he is nothing but a strong arm.

13. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I totally agree with her placement on this list, and the list makers sum up my reason quite well:

Graf's career, stalled by Seles' domination, was reprieved when her countryman ended Monica's. Presto! - the "legend" Slam numbers started piling up or Steffi. I'll stop there, as Steffi is already all over this thread and we could end up having our annual Steffi Graf debate out-of-season.

14. judgejudy27

Graf continued to win Wimbledon through Seles reign including humiliating her 6-2, 6-1 in Monicas one and only ever Wimbledon final. Obviously all did not end for Graf when Seles arrived. In fact Graf won 3 of her 4 matches with Monica during Monicas 2 dominant year, a win on every surface, and only one loss 10-8 in the 3rd. Considering Graf lost 7 of 8 matches to Sabatini in 91-92, and made only 3 of 12 major finals (nothing to do with Seles who was never in Grafs half as the World #1 and #2) those would have been the most miserable years for her lofty standards even if Seles didnt exist. An actual tennis expert would never have Graf on a most overrated list, nor Francoise Durr who is all but forgotten today, nor Wozniacki the most ridiculed #1 in history. How can players who are either forgotten (Durr) or dissed endlessly (Wozniacki) be most overrated, even if they arent that good. Perhaps Seles should be on the most overrated list though as some (a very small minority but still enough to make it comical) have the myth she was the future GOAT without the stabbing, now that is hilarious, LOL, rather than the borderline top 10 player all time most realize she really is, no shame in that.

As for the Colts, the Colts were an excellent team most of Mannings career. If you replace Manning with a decent QB (not a total scrub QB like now btw) in most of those years they would still easily be a playoff team atleast. The Colts began to suck last year even with Manning as they began to lose most of their other key players and werent able to replace them effectively. Now they are both a sucky team with a sucky QB, so little wonder they are at the bottom. I didnt say he wasnt an all time great QB, but nowhere near the best ever, a recpient of atleast 2 undeserved MVP awards, and not as good as Tom Brady.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am sure Seles' absence meant plenty of extra titles for Graf but Graf still had to beat a lot of REALLY good players to win and Seles wouldn't have won everything in the years she was gone. Graf was a great player with or without Seles in the picture. I am shocked by that. This is coming from the biggest Seles fan ever!

16. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Its Bleacher Report. I don't take anything written on there seriously

17. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Ever hear of Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney? She was competing against men (and winning) before Danica Patrick was even born.

mysticchic and (deleted member) like this.
  18. judgejudy27

Thanks for that. My bad. Still Danica Patrick >>> Michelle Wie, and Wie gets more hyped than Patrick (or atleast most of the last 5 years did). Yet Patrick is far higher on the overrated athletes list. :lol:

19. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

As a gymnastics fan, I am somewhat disappointed with the exclusion of Mary Lou Retton.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  20. judgejudy27

Lavinia Milosovici and Gina Gogean both merit places on the list as well.

21. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I'll be honest and say I found them both quite dull, but they had numerous years of medals and titles and outside of those who followed gymnastics, nobody really heard of them.

Retton OTOH , a two event gymnast, became a household name in an Olympics where she didn't even have to compete against the best in the world. She never even competed at a World Championships. She became "America's Sweetheart" ::shudder:: and the face of Madison Avenue following 1984.

Every Olympics during the gymnastics event , she is given a ridiculous amount of hero worship. Meanwhile, there are quite a few Americans,even among her teammates in 1984, who accomplished far more in their careers than she did as a gymnast.

22. judgejudy27

True Retton is most definitely overrated and should have been near the very top of the list. However the writer was probably one of those hero worshippers himself. I would still have Milosovici and Gogean on the list as well though. Yeah they won alot of medals due to code whoreing and benefitting from the transition period while the Soviet Union was splitting up, and many of them were won questionably through overscoring as well. They are no Silivas. Commaneci, or even Szabo, that is for sure. Maybe they are forgotten today but there was tons of attention on them in the 90s (understandably given all the medals they were winning, but much of that was due to a flawed scoring system and often reputation based protocal scoring as I said).

23. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

This guy obviously watches basketball, with the occasional bit of Tennis and Baseball thrown in. His general sporting knowledge can't be that great.

24. pumba

pumba New Member

Lori Fung could easily make the list as the first OGM in rhytmic gymnastics, though she was not even close to the worlds best Soviet gymnasts, who could not compete in 1984 due to the politics.

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I couldn't get through the whole list, but Michelle Wie should be higher on it.

I have no idea how Steffi Graf is overrated. Golden Grand Slam, dominated the sport for years, not enuf? Wozniaki sure - I don't think you should be #1 w/o a major win but she's not the first one (Clijsters I think was #1 in her first incarnation without having won a major, but she's got majors now; Safina?). But to me, Anna Kournikova was the biggest overrating in her day.

26. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I still think that Steffi Graf at least gets to Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert's 18 Grand Slam titles even with Monica Seles present for the 10 Grand Slam tournaments she missed.

Phil Mickelson at 4 majors is still the 2nd most of active players - is the consensus that he has severely underachieved?

A lot of choices are acceptable, but a lot of the choices are athletes who are perhaps not even halfway completed their career. Interesting list.

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Phil was "late" (as compared to Woods) in getting his first major and had the monkey on his back for quite some time. Plus, he has given away a couple of US Opens with mental or strategic errors. But he still has 4 majors, was 2 or T2 in 6 more majors, is tied for #10 on the all time PGA tour wins lists, has been on Walker, Dunhill, Ryder, and Presidents cup winning teams, and has won the Players and 3 World golf event titles. For current players, he is outdone only by Tiger Woods. I don't think he is overrated.

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  28. judgejudy27

Phil Mickelson (and to some degree even Tiger Woods) benefitted from playing in a less strong era in golf however. Neither would have won nearly as much if they played in the era that had Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Ballesteros, and Trevino. In that era there were 5 or 6 all time greats, in the Woods era Tiger is the only one, and even if removed Tiger he would still be the only one (or maybe Mickelson at a stretch). The only time Mickelson sort of outdueled another great golfer to win a major was his first Masters (where he beat out Els playing in an earlier group than him). In the Nicklaus era wth all the legends he would be lucky to have won 2 majors.

In some ways Vijay Singh had a more impressive career. He was the hands down Player of the Year once in the Woods era with 9 tournament wins that year. He was ranked #1 in the World for parts of different years, Mickelson hasnt even spent a week ranked #1. He has more Worldwide tournament wins than Mickelson. He has one fewer major, but Mickelson won many of his after Tiger began his fade from dominance.

So yes I would agree Phil Mickelson is overrated. If he not from South Africa like Els or Fiji like Singh you would hear not nearly as much about him, or if he were less of a "personality" like Love 111, Furyk, or others. PS- I am not saying Els, Love, Furyk, are better than him of course so please dont misinterpret my words.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I agree. I was interested in seeing the list as....a LIST that I can look over instead of having to click 100 times.