Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Susan1, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Hi. I couldn't find any of those old threads about pet peeves and stuff, so I wanted to start this one now.

Does it drive anybody else crazy that so many people say they are watching the "Macy's Day parade". It's the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I know that is a lot of syllables, so maybe people could just say the Macy's parade. There are other parades on t.v. on Thanksgiving Day too.

This has bugged me for awhile because they say it on the news, on entertainment shows, on game shows, on sitcoms, wherever. I was reading a book last weekend and the character was talking about her family's Thanksgiving and said her uncle was watching the Macy's Day parade. This morning they were interviewing a woman on the local news who said their group has been in the Macy's Day parade. Uh, maybe Black Friday can be Macy's Day, but Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving is already getting pushed aside for shopping. And there have been Christmas decorations in the store since October. How can we get people to stop saying Macy's Day?

Thanksgiving is also the day that Alice's Restaurant is played on tons of radio stations around the country at noon. (FYI - It's an 18 minute Arlo Guthrie story song from the 70's about Thanksgiving and Vietnam!!!! If it doesn't play in your area, stream WTUE - 104.7 - in Dayton, OH at noon EST.)

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Which I'm normally for, but even this Canadian finds the hours too early. There's a great deal on mini Ipads at Walmart but the store opens 6pm Thur. I'm already taking the Friday off, but I can't take Thursday off or leave work early. 9pm would've been perfect!

Hopefully, restaurants will be open too. Last time I went Black Friday shopping, only the occasional Starbucks was open.

3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving & Chanukah for us this year. That means turkey + latkes (potato pancakes)!

4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

If Groundhog Day didn't exist, Thanksgiving would be the suckiest.... holiday.... ever. :p

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  5. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

I've never heard anyone refer to the parade as the "Macy's Day Parade."

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I have, plenty of times.

7. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

I want to know more about the sale on iPad minis!

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

9. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Thanks manhn!

10. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Me neither.

11. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

me neither

i usually hear "thanksgiving parade" w/o the macy's or the day. i've never heard a person in real life say macy's, just people on tv.

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Everyone should just watch this on Thanksgiving. Problem solved.

14. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

To me, it has always been Macy's Parade. I think when I was younger, I might have called it Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade..but I've never been one for parades either live or on TV, so I can't remember what it is(was) called.

This parade is not about Thanksgiving but the beginning of the Christmas shopping. Self serving in nature, Macy's wants your business - they put on a parade to entice you to remember their name, to think how pretty or wonderful it is to have them provide "free" entertainment. Now all the "acts" lip sync anyway and everything is staged to happen at this particular point where cameras are set.

I guess I don't stress out about the name of a parade.

15. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve, like grammar things. Yeah, I don't care if anybody calls it the Macy's parade, because that is what it is. It's the "Macy's Day" parade that bugs me.

And I haven't watched any of them since they haven't really been parades anymore. Every time I even turn on the t.v. or switch to that channel to see one of the balloons or maybe catch a local band or group who is marching in it, they are showing some act being promoted in front of the announcers platform doing a whole stage show. Parade = bands, floats, balloons, moving......................(and Santa Claus at the end)

16. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

The restaurants around here have always been open the same as any Friday! You just cant get into the parking lots because of mall traffic. ha ha Just saw that the McDonald's a couple blocks from the mall will be open 24 hours on Thursday and Friday. Sheesh.

17. Skittl1321

Well now that Thanksgiving is more about shopping than family, maybe we should call it Macy's Day.

(Although- I don't get the uproar about shopping: my family went to the movies almost every Thanksgiving growing up. Why no outroar for the movie theatre employees who have to work?)

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone cooking, gorging, celebrating today! :)

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans! I'm going to visit family in Portland tomorrow. Besides Black Friday, my family will be forgoing the turkey and serving lamb and kangaroo.

20. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Yes, me too. I never called it Macy's Day Parade, but Macy's Parade, yes. I wonder if it has anything to do with being local? Or just differentiating Macy's Parade from the one in Philly, Hawaii, other cities?

Haven't watched much of it. It's on in the background. But, I did stop to watch Kristin Chenoweth.

21. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Happy Macy's Day Parade everybody! :saint:

22. Skittl1321

Actually heard a radio DJ call it the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade.

23. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Enjoy your celebrations!
    I'm thankful for all my friends here.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Has anyone brined a turkey before?

I'm having my first orphan Thanksgiving with a bunch of my fellow law school buddies, and I insisted on being in charge of the turkey. I'm using Alton Brown's recipe, and after making a big to-do (with my friends) about how brining makes a difference, I was really talking out of my butt because I'm not sure whether if it actually does since this is my first time doing it.

This lady doesn't think anything makes a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foA0MGUbYH0

26. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

Happy Thanks giving to all my American FSU friends :)

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

28. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

You need to brine a turkey like overnight, just a few hours probably won't make a difference.

I am having a truly "orphan" Thanksgiving. I was invited a few places, but am coming down with a cold. Better to stay home and not spread my germs. It sucks in one sense as it is always fun to gorge and giggle with my friends, but this way I will eat a lot less. :lol: I made chicken and potatoes. Close enough to turkey and stuffing. Plus I began assembling my HUGE Christmas tree. Somehow I have assembles 2/3 of it and already run out of strings of lights. I guess in my decongestant haze I have wired up a lot more than normal. I really think it's awful to have store open on Thanksgiving, but I may be terrible and go out to Walgreens for some more cold medicine and a few more strings of lights. :shuffle:

Hope everyone else is feeling better than me and can enjoy the holiday though! :D

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I did it for like 10 hours. You think that's good?

30. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Yes, you don't want to do it too long or too much salt gets absorbed. Good luck on you cooking!