thanks all skaters for so many years of great memories

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by immoimeme, Oct 11, 2013.

1. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

So I'm moving soon and going thru my old vhs tapes going back many years and I just want to THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all the skaters for such great performances over oh so many years. Some aren't with us any more, like my Showman Chris Bowman , some we don't see much any more, like Viktor Petrenko and Kurt Browning, and some found miraculous new energy to go fo it again, of ciurse my fav Evgeni Plushenko. Thank you. Thank you Urmanov, thank you Abt, thank you Gary Beaco, thaks to Anton and Elena, thank you Krylova and Ovsianikov ("eys!"). Thank you Savoie, thaks Sasha Cohen, thanks Nicole Bobek, and thanks especially Michael Weiss and Todd. Thajs to two Scotts-Davis and Williams. Thanks skaters I can't even remember you names any more but Imy heart didn't forget all the hsrd work and enormous effort you put into your sport and you made it to Euro s and Worlds and I remember seeing yiur performanfes. Thank you for your sacrifices-believe me, maybe you didn't get a medal but your all always champions to me because you *tried*. Wow. Thanks again. !! I luv you all :)

dinakt, skateboy, AJ Skatefan and 9 others like this.
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

:encore: :cheer2:

3. immoimeme

Thanks Kathyrn Healy and here's looking at you Lucinda Ruh ! Thanks Paul Wylie, thank you John Curry for setting men's skating free whee ! Thanks for the memories Brian Orser and Underhill and Martini. Thanks Mr Murvanidze for all the voids :) and you too Trifun-sorry thangs didn't work you so well for you but when they did you were pretty WOW:) spacibo voidy Russian guy I saw once or twice-but I never forgot *your* outstanding voids whee!!!! So many skaters, so many great memories. WHEE! THANKS AGAIN :)

4. immoimeme

Oh and merci beaucoup to you Brian Joubert ! You deserve a gold medal of the heart for all the heart you give to your sport :)

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

LOVE it and I say Bravo, immoimeme! :respec: :rockstar:

6. immoimeme

Ah, a really great memory-thank you to Angela Nikodinov. In 40 some odd years I have NEVER seen a more beautiful layback than the ones you did. NEVER. Be so proud and accept my thanks sooooo much for this beauuutiful memory!!!! Its all thanks to you :)

7. immoimeme

Thanks Sasha Zhulin for grrrreat choreography!!! I forgot how many programs you designed for so many of my faves...but I'm remembering now :)

8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thanks for you immoimeme...:) I feel the same way

9. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

What a lovely, positive thread, immoimeme! :encore:

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Wheeeeeee! So true, immoimeme! A huge, heartfelt thanks to all the skaters for so many beautiful memories throughout the years! Every skating fan waits in bated breath for that moment they can share with a skater when a program breathes life, creates magic, and inspires an audience. May we see many such moments on the ice this season and into the future. GO SKATERS!!! :encore::cheer2:

11. sadya

sadya Active Member

So true. The great performances make life so much better. Just watching amazing figure skating is such a joy.

12. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I want to join in. Especially in light of all the innumerable injuries these very young people sustain pursuing the sport. Thank you Sasha Smirnov, Alissa Czisny... pretty much every skater, who has reached the podium and who has not. It's an inescapable fact of life that physical peak is fleeting, that artistic side, even when present, matures later, and more often than not they cannot coincide; when they do they make skating legends. So I am taking a moment to say Thank You to skaters of all kinds, and at all levels.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, Toller!

You made possible much of the innovation and freedom we take for granted in modern skating.
    A trailblazer, for everyone who followed.

14. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, & Dorothy Hamill. John Curry's been mentioned but what about his competitors, Vladimir Kovalov & Toller Cranston? What a great era of skating & innovative choreography.

15. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks to you immoimeme for your gracious thanks to all the skaters in looking back at so many memorable performances! I have recently been having similar thoughts in thinking about what might be my Greatest Performances. IOW, all the great performances I'd love to have on a series of greatest performances DVDs. It would be so cool if USFS and the networks weren't so proprietary and PBS could do a Great Performances series of programs on all the unforgettable skating performances through the years. It would probably have to be broken up into categories such as competition performances; exhibitions; and then the various disciplines.

Topping my list would be Janet Lynn, Michelle Kwan, Toller Cranston, Torvill/ Dean, John Curry, Brian Boitano, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning, Gary Beacom, Robin Cousins, Usova/ Zhulin, Tai and Randy, Gordeeva/ Grinkov, The Protopopovs, Savchenko/ Szolkowy, Sale/ Pelletier, Davis/ White, Shen/ Zhao, Lu Chen, Alexei Yagudin, Stephane Lambiel, Rudy Galindo, Midori Ito, Petr Barna, Elvis Stojko, Todd Eldredge, Johnny Weir, Bourne/ Kraatz, Christopher Bowman - his exhibition at 1987 U.S. Nats to Maria, is classic, far and away better than much of anything the men are doing today (outside of Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown, some of Dai Takahashi's best, Denis Ten at last year's Worlds, and a few others). I say quad be damned, and I mean it! Even though I know the men have to have it to win these days, IMO, it has caused a lot of havoc in the evolution of this sport on the men's side.

Christopher B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRW1HmNiVI

Petr Barna 1989 Euros sp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFiCaXo5dxs Perfection!
    See it, and weep all skating fans who mourn the current state of quad-monstrosities we suffer through too often today. Yeah, okay Yuzuru and Javi, and sometimes Chan can do perfect justice to quads, but they all still lack the complete artistic mastery and musicality of the greatest of great skating performances. I would add that Denis Ten did perfect justice to quads and artistry at Worlds 2013!

And yes, thanks to all the skaters regardless of the current state of political/ CoP affairs in skating today. They all work hard and do the best they can in the era in which they train and compete. Good luck to all this season, and I will keep my fingers crossed for some great and memorable performances debuting in the coming months.

Would be cool to put together a 100 Greatest Performances list. I know there are some threads with fan favorite artistic performances including youtube links.

Some others who would be on my list, regardless of star quality/ medals won, include: Jeremy Abbott, Lucinda Ruh, Charlie Tickner, Norbert Schramm, Laurent Tobel, Yuka Sato, Akiko Suzuki, Alexander Johnson, Shawn Sawyer, Adam Rippon, Richard Dornbush (U.S. Nats 2011 fp), Tom Dickson, Stephanie Rosenthal, etc.

Some earlier skaters whose performances I didn't witness in real time: Dick Button, Peggy Fleming, Don Jackson, etc.

ETA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE Alexander Johnson U.S. Nats fp 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Rwn5r9aQc Denis Ten 2013 Worlds sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ0iGuaRAm4 D10 Worlds '13 fp

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  16. immoimeme

Dr Debbie! Eric Millot! Michael Shmerkin! Thank you! Steven Cousins! And special thanks to yr dad for making this noobie to Worlds find a great place to smoke, whee! :) Thanks to Ilia Kulik for such perrrrfect jumps whee!!! :-D

17. immoimeme

Thanks very much Usova and Platov for that smmmmmmmokin rendition of "Historia de un Amor" at thee '99 World Pros. Sooo frickng WOW!!! And that dress. Omg ultra wheeee! WHEE!!!!

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Dasia

Dasia New Member

I thank you too, immoimeme for making me think back and appreciate so many skaters who made me smile or sit on the edge of my seat in awe or both at once!
    Many have already been mentioned--Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Peter Barna--I'd add Igor Bobrin, Wilson/McCall, Klimova/Ponomarenko and Dmitriev/Mishkutenok/Kazakova. Thanks not only to the skaters but also to the invention of the VCR and youTube so we can enjoy their timeless performances over again.

19. immoimeme

Hey Eve Chalom and Matthew Gates!!! Thank you for beautiful skating together :)

20. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

On a serious note, this is a wonderful, lovely thread.

On a lighter note - THANK YOU FOR THE HEADBANDS, NAVKA! I'm still searching for the N/K Milkshake compilation to make my life complete. ;)

21. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

22. immoimeme

Bonjour Laurent Tobel and merci beaucoup for your wonderful Pink Panther program at 99 worlds!!! I just found my photos of it and they brought it all back what a great night that was for you!! Whee!!:)

23. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I am a relatively new skating fan, and therefore my thank you's are mostly current competitors :) Thank you Mirai Nagasu, for first getting me interested in figure skating four years ago. Thank you Ashley Wagner for making me into a hardcore skating fan and also for being such an incredibly role model. Thank you Jason Brown and Adam Rippon for making me even interested in the men's event at all! And thank you Meryl and Charlie for being such amazing competitors and representing my home state so well!!

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Thanks to the past: Torvill/Dean, Paul Wylie, Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito, Nicole Bobek, Alexi Yagudin, Belbin/Agosto, and most of all Shen/Zhao
    Thanks to the present: Takahashi, Mao, Davis/White, and Ashley Wagner
    Thanks to the future: Jason Brown and hopefully many more

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.