TESSA & SCOTT #33 Our Living Legends

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think the Oly outcome is still somewhat open. Even the teams that win in the GPF may not mean the same team will win in Olys.
    Anyway we cannot fight against what is going to be. If we say there is politiking then does that mean that in 2010 T&S won because of politiking or does it mean that they deserved it? Was the deal then that Canada and US was to have one medal each and when Evan won mens T&S had to win Dance?
    I dont think its so simple and I dont want it to be so simple.
    So I am just going to bury my head in the sand and enjoy the skating. Being a big Chanfan I naturally want him to win... being a big VM fan I naturally want them to win but regardless of what I want the result will be what it is..

I am just going to enjoy the skating from now till season end...

2. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Hi guys, a couple of things. What Patrick said in the interview I heard was that he was willing to do one OR two - but the decision would be made by the Federation, the skater and ??? I didn't hear what the third was..., but I gather no decisions have been made yet. Does anyone know how much room the rules leave for changing minds late in the game? As far as I've read, Kevin's problem was/is boots not injury, though he was injured earlier. He skipped CofR to try to make up for lost time. KO is certainly injured but at least back on the ice now. We'll see if she skates in the Challenge... same weekend as the GPF- though she hasn't been doing triples in practice yet, so we can't expect much.. We've still a good shot at a medal - if not the gold medal in team. MTM and W/P were both off in the short - but I'm not counting them out yet. I'm with Emdee about enjoying the rest of the season, though this morning brought less than joy. Maybe tomorrow...

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

He said the decision would be made by his coach and SC

4. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I think V/M arrived at the perfect time in ice dance history to win a gold medal. They had the skills that made everyone take notice; They delivered when it counted which was at home; The Russians were injured. The most important is the last - if D&S had been ready for prime time, they'd have won the gold medal.

5. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

I will try to keep doing these if people are still interested, but it might take me a few days.

F: This is something different. If you could be in any movie, what genre would you choose?

T & S: [pointing to Scott] Romantic comedies.

S: I like romantic movies. [awwing] I know, I know. Well when I go to the movies I want to feel good. It’s easy, I don’t want to think to much. No, I like thrillers and stuff like that too, but I’m a sucker for a good rom-com and something where everything ties up at the end, where everyones happy. It’s so cheesy. [to Tessa] What about you?

T: I know know what to answer, I think I would be a terrible actress. So maybe like animations, I don’t know.

S: Monster’s Inc [laughter]

F: So which genre? Animation?

T: Honestly I don’t know

S: You could be nemo!

T: Yeah, right. It would just be my voice, but I don’t have a good voice either.

S: What about classics?

T: Oh, it would be cool to do a period piece like Downton Abbey. You know how it’s set in England-

F: Or like Pride and Prejudice.

T: Yeah, exactly! That would be cool, that would be really cool.

F: Yeah that would be very good for you.

S: We’ll just answer the questions from now on [jokingly patting Tessa’s shoulder] We know you better than you. [laughter]

6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  7. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Thank you very much cgirl8!!!!

8. Bue

Bue Member

Thanks cgirl8! That last bit is so funny!

9. Subway

Subway New Member

This is going back in the thread a bit but I wanted to ask Golightly why this is true in ice dance when it's not true in the other disciplines? In other disciplines, the quality of the actual skating has become even more important. Even in a trick-dense discipline like pairs, quality skating can push a team ahead of another team that's more content packed and has put in more complex tricks. The quality skating of V/T vaults them ahead of teams that try to pack their programs with more difficult transitions or added difficulty, possibly because some of those transitions don't really say a great deal about the skating itself, but just adds challenge to the trick that's coming.

Pairs doesn't allow the quantity-over-quality formula. The rules are also very clear about the components of a difficult element - the skaters can't just make it up.

Ice dance seems like an outlier where quality skating is incidental while meanwhile it's emphasized even more in singles and pairs. How did the rules for ice dance develop to allow teams to actually work around skating, while the rules for singles and pairs made quality skating the difference between the winner and the runner up?

10. Subway

Subway New Member

bluegrass, I disagree that the Russians would have won if they'd been ready for prime time. Virtue and Moir were simply superior by that time. DS were never top of the line. Their win in 2009 at Worlds was very controversial even versus an undertrained Virtue and Moir and a rocky Belbin and Agosto.

11. Rotation

Rotation New Member

12. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you!

O, Tessa! You never disappointed me. You did so much for ice dance :)

14. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

15. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

F: And if someone decided to make a movie about your life, what genre would it be? And maybe an name for the movie.

S: Scary, I think. [laughter]

T: That’s a good question.

S: Yeah, it would be a bio-pic.

F: What would you name your movie?

S: We had a couple names that we came up with. [looking at Tessa] What were the good ones? The really cheesy ones… Didn’t we have a couple names?

T: I don’t remember.

S: Tessa and Scott on Thin Ice. Really cheesy though, I love cheesy things. [laughter] I don’t know, what would you guys name it?

F: We don’t know! [another person] Tessa, Scott and the Umbrellas.

S: Yeah. I like that one. You get the budget, I’m in.

16. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I thought she said 'Under the Umbrellas"? Did everyone see what Jeffrey Buttle said on his twitter today?. I feel like it could be applied to Tessa and Scott's loss at 2013 Worlds.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

What did he said?

18. parapluies

He said this: https://twitter.com/J_Butt/status/404321674839224320

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Hm.... Did he mean WP marks? I disagree with him, because WP just lost some levels and will get 70 and 104 with clean skating - its very good marks for them.
    But Kostner lose to Lipnitskay with falls - its over the top. Caro is one of the best female skate in the history (IMHO)

20. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

21. parapluies

Yes I think he was talkig about W/P but one can look at the sentence generally.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Nobody of them didnt say nothing after Carmen lost gold at WCh. And they all understand, two teams never will be at podium at OG so they wish TS will retire before OG?
    Amazing how much unrespect they show to VM. What could VM wait from other federations and fans?

23. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Oh goodness. Jeff Buttle is a huge fan of Virtue and Moir and was just pretty much gushing about them in his CBC interview today. Let's not jump to conclusions.

24. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Thanks! :D You're a treasure ;)

25. Subway

Subway New Member

Yes, I appreciate that he's spoken out here, but it's so convenient. Russia cooked the books in this competition so a North American champion speaks out. That's wonderful.

But he's silent on Davis White versus Virtue Moir, and as much as anyone else, Jeff Buttle knows what a travesty the judging has been there.

26. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

He basically implied today on CBC that Virtue and Moir are the better team.

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

OK, why did they think BS couldn't have better PCS then WP?
    Its just in FD or also in SD?
    And yes, when its competition with Russians they start talking about judging, but not last season, when Carmen lost in PCS all the time.
    At moments like this I wish VM will be experts and talking about why Lane skaters got such marks. Or about Weaver basic skating, or.about DW.
    Was this smart to stay after.2010 OG?

28. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

No way should Bobrova/Soloviev have been 7 points ahead of W/P in the SD. So that was a travesty. And the FD marks were crazy too. Carol Lane said she was shocked B/S beat W/P on PCS in the FD.

29. Subway

Subway New Member

That's something, I guess.

If Davis White weren't North American, the media would be screaming bloody murder, as they did when Domnina Shabalin used bungee cords. The knocks against that team were legitimate, but the N.A. media didn't care if it was legit. Knock the skating - knock the program - it's all the same.

The idea was to throw as much shade at the team as possible, to promote the success of the N.A. teams. The people doing the shouting and complaining didn't know much about ice dance. They just grabbed onto pretexts.

Buttle knows as well as anyone else out there that the books are cooked for Davis White. Davis & White's skating is never scrutinized in the scores, only how "clean" they are.

It's agreed that nobody judge the caliber of their lifts vis a vis Virtue and Moir's. That whole "base value" thing, we'll just ignore. The non-skating and filler in between elements, the lack of skating and dance hold and multidirectional skating in between elements, and the lack of run of blade into and out of elements, we'll also ignore.

Buttle spoke out today, and was so vehement about it, but he'll only come in the side door when it comes to talking about Virtue Moir versus Davis White. That is every bit the scandal as what happened at the RC this weekend.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I understand this, but why she think so? Did she explain something?
    WP didn't.get there levels in SD, so they could get 70 points if they.did. I can't understand why when VM lost there levels people start talking about regression and losing technics, but in WP case its all about judges controversy?
    And WP won FD so all is OK
    .Or they must got marks, like VM?