TESSA & SCOTT #33 Our Living Legends

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Nov 20, 2013.

1. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

;)

I didn't understand :D

I'm sorry but I disagree. Of course, some steps or movements match up with other music, it is very normal. It isn't "normal" when 95% of a program fits perfectly with other music with different rhythms. If I look at TS's video I fully understand that those are not the music of the programs I'm looking at. Instead of those MC I might as well watch them without realizing that it is exchanged music.
    Just look at these other ...

DW #5 Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz - My Fair Lady

DW #6 My Fair Lady - Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz

DW #7 Samson and Dalilah - Sherazade

DW #8 Sherazade - Samson and Dalilah

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thanks IcePrincess. I remember when someone did this with Michelle Kwan's programs and they pretty much all looked the same. It adds fuel to the argument that D&W are doing a waltz instead of a foxtrot. I think Marina fits the music to their skating instead of vice versa. That's why they have been able to easily switch programs the last few years at the last minute but still come out trained and in shape at their first outing... it's all more or less the same program. Last year they worked with Alex Wong and the big improvement that came out of that was the addition of bells to a move they had done at Skate America... adding the sound effect made it seem as though they hit the move right on the music. I guess this is the "tight with the music" that the ISU wants?

Mahler & Seasons do go very well for the first minute or so but then the difference becomes clear. It makes sense, in that both start as slow pieces of classical music. In the SD, where rhythm is so important, the difference is crystal clear. You could not mistake that foxtrot for the Waltz Goes On under any circumstances.

3. Sandypaws04

Sandypaws04 New Member

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Right, because no one has criticized Seasons as being a Mahler rehash....

5. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I see those comments everywhere on youtube it is annoying. In FDs teams will stick to their strength but what is interesting is that in the SD D/W are not following the prescribed dance style and that is because of the music choice and yet they still get high PCS?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

@cherub: you got the point ;)

But I have not done anything! DW did everything! I have not modified, cut or else the musics so as to make them fit! I did the same with TS! Many have criticized Seasons saying it was equal to Mahler, indeed, Mahler 2.0 .. so, what better way to see if it is true than to switch the musics? This is not to discredit a team to enhance another. This is only for show dates clearly visible to all. That's it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Don't bother princess. Methinks the Sandypaws doth protest too much!

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

For me its clear if people wish to see Seasons is Mahler, they will. If they want gold for DW - they will and will see all new in D programs.
    So everyone could choose what she (he) like more. We are not judges and this is good thing, we hve freedom to choose

10. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

What does this mean? Google doesn't translate it :confused:

:cool:

11. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Not sure what the point of trolling the site of opposing users is...especially if you can't make your point. While the opening of seasons is definitely soft like others have said, once you get to the first lift, step sequence and twizzles the music is completely inappropriate for the choreography.

12. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Thanks for doing this it is really amusing. I can't get over the choreo lift at the end of my fair lady. That Charlie has to hold her leg in position just kills me. My fair lady definitely do en not have the feeling of the fox trot. Maybe their program is the reason p/b were advised to change their sp. Too far on the other side of the spectrum from d/w

13. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Ps one more thing. The camera shot for dw Twizzles where it zooms out really allows one to appreciate how little ice they cover. It is the same kind of shot that fan cams achieve.

14. Bue

Bue New Member

For me, IcePrincess's experiment highlighted that Seasons is definitely not Mahler 2.0. The year's music seems to fit the Mahler program well (lots of highlights fall at the same times), but Mahler no. 5 doesn't fit Seasons, except for the first part of the program.

On the tuxedo point, at their first GP this year one of Nicky Slater's main criticisms of the program was... the colour of Scott's shirt. :rolleyes: Something like 'white shirt or grey shirt?' seems daft to me, but to some people every detail of the costuming is an absolutely essential component of the package. I really don't think a tuxedo would have made the difference, however!

15. piano18

piano18 New Member

OMG, that is hilarious! Marina Zoueva should have used their Polka music last year in this year's SD! :lol:

Edited: Can you make a video comparing V&M Carmen to other Carmens?

I am trying to do a video comparison of everybody's step sequences, at least everybody in the top 4. It is hard to squish 5 in one screen.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

:confused: what are you talking about?

Anyways I don't know if you guys have noticed, but iggie put up an introduction to a quote project that has been in the works for awhile. I want to thank everybody that helped in any way, shape or form, iggie for including it on the blog, and especially cherub; she put in an astounding amount of work into this and reading the little booklet was truly amazing. So thank you again for thinking of collecting these quotes and putting the work in of arranging them by year. Iggie I hope you eventually decide to put up the rest of the quotes because it truly is amazing seeing all the praise that Tessa and Scott have had showered on them. I think from time to time how lucky Tessa and Scott are to have the fans that they do.

Completely off topic, but does anybody know why Tessa stopped being a vegetarian or has she ever given a reason in an interview?

17. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Catching up on everyone's posts here (thanks for all the great tidbits).

Finally had a chance to listen to this podcast.

I find it both perplexing and disturbing hearing them state that both teams didn't put a foot wrong during the competition.

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so scared about calling an error when they see D/W make one? If Canadian commentators don't do it, who will? Are they afraid of being accused of biased commentating? If so, I think they are overcompensating.

18. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Why not ask PJ and Kurt themselves? They both have Twitter accounts, don't they?

19. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a twitter account (and am, in general, not into the social media sphere).

20. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I apologize if I've offended some of you with my comment about these costume discussions, but quite honestly that's how they come across to me. But since several of you have commented I must be wrong.

21. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

22. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  23. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

The only things that I agree with here are that Tessa and Scott's programs and musics don't match almost at all, except the beginning of their 'Mahler' and 'Season' FDs, and that Meryl and Charlie's 'Giselle' music fits their 'My Fair Lady' SD quite well, and vice versa - although the original music fits the programs better anyway.

As for 'Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz' vs 'My Fair Lady', they don't fit - especially the 'Musetta's Waltz' doesn't fit with 'My Fair Lady' SD at all. Sorry, but I think that a person has to be quite unmusical to seriously and honestly think that they match. The same goes for their FDs - some separate parts or even just moments do match, but for the most part the FDs and their musics don't match. Or even if it looks like they hit a note here or there, it's clearly visible that the choreography is not for this music.

Sorry once again - I may be a Tessa and Scott fan, but I don't think that is reason enough to agree or pretend to agree with something that is not true in my opinion. Of course, I could have just kept silent to avoid arguing, but for some reason I didn't want to.

25. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I cannot believe it, but I guess there is a first for everything I guess. I agree with Laura here. Music choice should not even be a deciding factor in the first place. So, placing other musics in other programs does not really say a whole lot. What does it prove? I mean, I know D/W use music that carries them, that is not a secret anyway.

26. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Honest question here Laura, but why do you always feel the need to patrol the thread? I feel like you do this all the freaking time. This has nothing to do with the present discussion, just curious.

27. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

There's a mini series on them beginning in early January. The cameras have been following them around for most of this season. Is that what you mean? Unfortunately, I've forgotten which channel - not CTV or CBC, and my TV guide only covers two weeks. I'm sure someone will post the info closer to the date.

28. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I agree that music should not be a deciding factor. However, I do think being able to swap the music for the SDs does prove or show something. The SDs from this year and last year use different rhythms. Last year, we had polka, waltz, and march. This year, it's Finnstep, plus one or two of the foxtrot, Charleston, or swing. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but taking the differences in the rhythms that are supposed to be used, I wouldn't expect the music to swap out easily like it did with D/W's short dances.

29. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

Yes, I've noticed the same thing, Laura - are you this post's monitor?

30. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Thanks.

I could try but I don't know who are other teams that skate Carmen :/ Oh well, apart Cappellini and Lanotte...
    If you know, give me the the list of the Carmen's ice dance couple ;)