TESSA & SCOTT #33 Our Living Legends

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Nov 20, 2013.

1. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

2. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

4. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

The only things that I agree with here are that Tessa and Scott's programs and musics don't match almost at all, except the beginning of their 'Mahler' and 'Season' FDs, and that Meryl and Charlie's 'Giselle' music fits their 'My Fair Lady' SD quite well, and vice versa - although the original music fits the programs better anyway.

As for 'Brindisi/Musetta's Waltz' vs 'My Fair Lady', they don't fit - especially the 'Musetta's Waltz' doesn't fit with 'My Fair Lady' SD at all. Sorry, but I think that a person has to be quite unmusical to seriously and honestly think that they match. The same goes for their FDs - some separate parts or even just moments do match, but for the most part the FDs and their musics don't match. Or even if it looks like they hit a note here or there, it's clearly visible that the choreography is not for this music.

Sorry once again - I may be a Tessa and Scott fan, but I don't think that is reason enough to agree or pretend to agree with something that is not true in my opinion. Of course, I could have just kept silent to avoid arguing, but for some reason I didn't want to.
  5. Golightly

Golightly New Member

I cannot believe it, but I guess there is a first for everything I guess. I agree with Laura here. Music choice should not even be a deciding factor in the first place. So, placing other musics in other programs does not really say a whole lot. What does it prove? I mean, I know D/W use music that carries them, that is not a secret anyway.
  6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Honest question here Laura, but why do you always feel the need to patrol the thread? I feel like you do this all the freaking time. This has nothing to do with the present discussion, just curious.
  7. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

There's a mini series on them beginning in early January. The cameras have been following them around for most of this season. Is that what you mean? Unfortunately, I've forgotten which channel - not CTV or CBC, and my TV guide only covers two weeks. I'm sure someone will post the info closer to the date.
  8. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I agree that music should not be a deciding factor. However, I do think being able to swap the music for the SDs does prove or show something. The SDs from this year and last year use different rhythms. Last year, we had polka, waltz, and march. This year, it's Finnstep, plus one or two of the foxtrot, Charleston, or swing. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but taking the differences in the rhythms that are supposed to be used, I wouldn't expect the music to swap out easily like it did with D/W's short dances.
  9. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 New Member

Yes, I've noticed the same thing, Laura - are you this post's monitor?
  10. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Thanks.

I could try but I don't know who are other teams that skate Carmen :/ Oh well, apart Cappellini and Lanotte...
    If you know, give me the the list of the Carmen's ice dance couple ;)
  11. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Because she's a fan but not one who feels the need to diminish Davis and White at every turn. Why shouldn't she have a right to challenge someone's point of view. Just because one is a fan or even an uber doesn't mean they can't offer an objective and contrary opinion to what's posted here. It's bloody irritating sometimes to not feel you can be a fan of V and M but not criticize their faults or someone's negative opinions of their rivals. I still think V and M are superior skaters in pretty much every way but it doesn't mean I ascribe to every negative, challenging opinion of D and W. And I don't think it's fair to label someone as " patrolling" just because they feel the same way as I just posted above.
  12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

As for music. Its important for ice dancers to skate on rythm, but not on melody. So it will be interersting to see when polka and quick-step look the same or waltz and foxtrot.
    I remember before 2010 OG it was a lot off criticism about Mahler and someone did Mahler video on another music. And nobody were angry.
    And of couse everyone will have there own opinion about this and we couldnt made nothing with judges opinion.
    I know, Trankov is very unpopular person now, but i find interesting, that he said - in ice dance judges changed canadians with americans in ice dance because udges are tired of dominance of 1 team over others. Maybe this is the case and all this talk about who skate better or have better programs is nothing?

As for Laura. Guys, let her post at least in this thread, because sweet Meryl Charlie fans threw her from DW thread after posts like this. But in uber thread what you want to read?
    PashaFan did great thread about other ice dance teams and ice dance overall, then we have thread about why DW are better, then VM. I think in those places everyone feel free to talk everything about any ice dance team.
  13. Marta24

Marta24 Member

I still think V/M are going to win their second OGM. At the beginning of the season,D/W seemed as the clear winners,but look how close Tessa and Scott came to them.This wouldn't have happened if the judges were 100% sure that D/W are going to be Olympic Champions in February.
    I wouldn't be surprised if V/M's win in Sochi is going to be much more clearer than D/W's win at GPF.
  14. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

if d/w do win in sochi, what will you say to their ubers if they start claiming that v/m's win in vancouver was a fluke since they were skating on home court?
  15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Didnt they talk already VM must lose to DW a lot off times? But when someone try to ask why DW won over VM with mistakes - this mean you are crazy :)
  16. Golightly

Golightly New Member

I'm sorry, but the music doesn't tell me they're waltzing. It's their beat, not the music's. They're not particularly great at carrying the rhythm. It's like those singers with good voices that have zero timing. So, it is clear to me that they're doing a waltz. Why more people aren't talking about it? Well, for the same reason they won the GPF.

Still, I've always thought there's only so much you can get away with, so.
  17. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I understand it is on WN (Women's Network).
  18. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

I was just watching a christmas movie on that network, when a promotion for the show appeared during the commercial break. I will update this post with a link when I finish getting it uploaded on my youtube channel.

ETA; short but sweet: http://youtu.be/KCvlsxVz1bY
  19. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

20. blueglass

blueglass New Member

This reticence to criticize the other team's mistakes happens often enough to make one wonder what's going on. I expected more from PJ, but perhaps they're concerned their remarks will somehow negatively affect VM's scoring in Sochi. Tracy Wilson is very good at analyzing VM but she too is careful about her critique of DW.

Another thing I can't get over is Lane, Browning and Irving all saying they felt like they've seen a different FD. These guys are supposed to be experts. I am no great analyst but even I could see the potential in VM's FD regardless of how they performed it in competition. I've watched it over numerous times and just love parts of it.
  21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

They are talking about VM need another FD? :rolleyes:
  22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

23. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

no, they were saying that it had improved so much it looked like a different FD. However, commentators have worried that the programme is too subtle for the judges.
  24. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for posting this!
  25. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was aware of the reality series, but the tweet made it seem like there was a special apart from that on them last night. I probably interpreted the tweet wrong.

Chantilly, I had typed a response to you, but decided not to post so I don't continue the discussion in the thread; maybe I'll pm you. Anyways I think you need to reread my post because you made all these false assumptions that has nothing to do with why I asked the question.

Thanks for posting the clip rvi5. I still can't believe Tessa and Scott have a reality series.

Pani I think what Carol, Kurt, and Brenda meant was that the magic wasn't there in previous outings of Seasons, but something finally clicked at the GPF and they get it now--feels like the first time they saw it.
  26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you! Candian media give great support to TS :D
  27. Sonata

Sonata New Member

Was it Last Holiday starring Queen Latifah? I was watching too. Fun movie, but the commercial for V/M's new show was the best part of the broadcast :D
  28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I didnt saw this video, thank you! They look great!
  29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Has anybody been on their show's webpage? There's a video link there, but they're geoblocked so if anybody can rip them and put it on YT, would appreciate it. Meyers transcribed a short Tessa one-on-one:
  30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you, Shayii and Meyers! I alwayse want to ask Tessa about her favourite designer
  31. Bue

Bue New Member

Thank you, chantilly. I know laura can be a bit... difficult, but I can't work out what she has written on the topic of the music to provoke these accusations of policing the thread? Her opinion seems perfectly legitimate and I more or less agree with her.
  32. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

The movie I was watching was "Merry In-Laws"

There are three videos in the video section of that site. One is the promo video already linked in the FSU TV alerts forum. Another is Scott's uncle discussing skate sharpening. The third is this "One on One" video...

http://youtu.be/8MX251Eq6Jw

Did you want the Skate sharpening video also?
  33. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Thanks rvi5! ;) If you want upload, if its interesting, upload it :D
  34. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks rvi5. And yes, if you don't mind uploading the other one as well.
  35. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

"Patroling", "monitoring" :confused:? Do you mean to say that I have no right to read this thread and respond to posts in it? Or that I can write here only if it's something positive about Tessa and Scott, or something negative about Meryl and Charlie :confused:? I don't "patrol" this thread - I read it regularly (like, several times a day), because I am a Tessa and Scott fan, and am genuinely interested in discussions here, and also in links that are posted. But I don't always agree with everything that is written here - does it make me not a fan? Or, even worse, an enemy of Tessa and Scott and their "true" ubers?

So, a few honest questions from me - do you really think that if someone likes a skater's rival too, they can't be a "true" fan of that skater? Or that a "true" fan can never criticize their favorite in any way? Does being a "true" fan means saying only completely positive things about one's favorite and only negative things about the favorite's rivals? Can't a "true" fan defend their favorite's rivals when that fan feels that what is being said about them is not true/is unfair? Can you stop and think about this, and answer me honestly?

Before, I used to just defend Tessa and Scott in the Davis/White ubers thread and in other threads. But then I thought - I can't honestly say to myself or other people that I am objective or fair in any way if I can't do the same when it comes to Meryl and Charlie. So I started speaking out when I saw something written about them that I think is untrue. The same goes for "criticizing" things in Tessa and Scott's programs - can I really say that I am being objective if I can't admit that there are things that I don't completely like about their programs, if I can't speak out about it? Of course, there are moments when we all need to defend Tessa and Scott, to act as a "united front", but where else can I speak about their programs and how I view them, if not here?

Thank you very much, chantilly. I agree with every word in your post - including Tessa and Scott being superior skaters, but also including the second part of that sentence.

Thank you too, Bue. And, yes, I am a bit difficult with my trying to be fair and objective. Stephane Lambiel is my all time favorite skater, and I absolutely love him, but I just tried to prove to my mother that he is not that much more special than everyone else (or, rather, that everyone else is not that much less special) :lol:.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  36. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

As requested, Paul Moir discusses Skate Sharpening...

http://youtu.be/ssIV94cucDk

(Excuse the resolution switch a minute into the video. It is apparently related to the video recording on the site)
  37. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Laura, I never said you can't do all those things. I'll respond to this right now, then we can it to pm (which I should have done in the first place). I don't know, but for the longest time I've felt you go overboard/overcompensate in your posts in your attempt to seem fair. Not sure how to word this that wouldn't further upset you to be honest, which I'm not trying to do by the way. Sometimes your posts don't seem completely genuine to me, but you say things just so you appear fair. Like that one time you said that it was an exaggeration when people explain how difficult Carmen was. I just thought you were trying very hard to appear objective and "fair" to outsiders. And you go out your way sometimes to point out the fact that you're just merely a fan and not a Tessa and Scott uber; to me that came across as you not wanting to be associated with those crazy, extreme Tessa and Scott fans. I have no problem with you criticizing Tessa and Scott or liking their rivals. And I never have as I don't shy away from voicing my own critics of Tessa and Scott. Anyways this is what I feel and if I'm wrong then I apologize, but in all honesty this is how things have come across to me.

Thanks rvi5.
  38. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

That is what the British Eurosport commentator also said, more or less. He said that it has been very good before, but this time the magic was there (he actually used those actual words).
  39. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

40. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you a lot! They look great! Such a beautiful ice dance team, no matter what Laura say :)
    Laura, sorry I respond to your post. Of cause you could post all you want where you want, but be ready to read responds from crazy ubers in this case :)
    And why you didn't post in DW thread anymore? VM not only one thread on FSU