TESSA & SCOTT #33 Our Living Legends

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Nov 20, 2013.

1. volunteer

volunteer Member

In reality, judges can post anything they want anonymously on any public forum.

However when they declare themselves as judges, they are professionally accountable for any statement they make regarding judging calls, opinions whether personal or based on criteria. They should be expected to answer questions related to topics they have raised or participated in.

It's not personal to judges in particular, but to any profession.

2. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I am reminded of a few years ago, when someone was posting either here or at GS, claiming to be a judge. This person clearly didn't like Vanessa Crone, and was engaging in posting arguments (Vanessa bashing) with other board members. The postings quickly stopped once other members pointed out Skate Canada had rules about that type of behavior. Still, one must wonder if this judge would be fair if Venessa ever had to compete in front of that person.

3. sequins

sequins Active Member

Well that's why they have practice right?

4. elle123

elle123 Member

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Rosie is just plain rude and a terrible journalist. After all these years of covering the sport she doesn't appear to know anything about it and prefers to make these childish remarks.

6. krystha

krystha New Member

Have they already compete???

7. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Oh no! :( The FD is saturday.. they have all the time..

Do you mean TS? No they haven't... the SD is tomorrow (6/12/2013)

8. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

God, DiManno is so rude. What a disgrace.

9. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you, Daniskates93. Good that Tessa changed the material of the skirt - the top part and skirt being of two different materials can give the dress less of a nightie look. And even if it doesn't, at least it will flow better.

Thank you too, parapluies. This worries me a bit, but, of course, better at practice than at competition.

10. Zazy

Zazy Member

More than a bit. What I'm getting from this article is that D/W are the better skaters but V/M have the advantage in looks. It's the ugly and great versus the beautiful and flawed. Who will win? :rolleyes:

I know she's busy right now but I've been waiting for years for the Star to give the skating assignment to Robyn Doolittle. They have an actual skater on staff and yet they keep going back to Dimanno. She makes a mockery of figure skating as a sport and tries to be as controversial as possible, that's not journalism.

11. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

12. krystha

krystha New Member

Awww I love the pictures.:swoon:

13. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I read it and I didn't get that at all. Yes, she's commenting on their looks in sort of a caricature way, but D/W's look has always been played up in their skating persona - her large eyes, his golden hair - and it does lend itself to that type of characterization. She didn't remark on V/M's looks at all. She said D/W are the more technically proficient team, which they aren't, but I suspect she meant more technically consistent this year, which they are.

14. Zazy

Zazy Member

Saying Meryl looks like a Disney princess with her big eyes, that's a charaterization. Saying she looks like a human fly, that's an insult and makes Meryl sound like a really unfortunate-looking woman. I honestly don't understand how anybody could be OK with that.

I made some extrapolations from what she said but, judging by her (oh so great!) body of work, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what she was going after. Rosie likes to put people in boxes and make up fake drama, that's her shtick. And judging by the Chinese judge's comments in the other thread, the good-looking stars (V/M) vs the technically superior but not so pretty (D/W) is a popular comparison.

15. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I wish there were more practice pictures of the FD. I heard people saying that they are doing the curve lift in the place of where the SlLi used to be. But I'm not fluent in Japanese so I'm not sure. I hope though there is a combo lift. They can kill 2 birds with one stone if they do a combo.

16. parapluies

Rosie Dimanno is so dumb. Its not the personal looks that is ugly about D/W. You know whats really ugly about D/W? Their lines/postures and their dangling free legs and how they never match (like in this picture) not Meryl's face. Why doesn't she talk about that? Anyways V/M had good SD practice today

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I would like to bundle off Rosie & Phil (Hersh) to the South Pole where they can keep their sour thoughts to themselves. I make no time to read their articles any longer, it's just pure nastiness on both their parts.

Anyway want to contribute to the cause? ;) :D

18. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

gladly.

19. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Interesting if that is so. I too hope for a combination lift. But how to do a combination with the first rotational, and so that it goes with the music? I don't know, but I would like to see that. And what is in the place of the curve lift?

There are many pictures where their legs do match. So it's not true that they never match. Also, their lines and posture may not be as good as Tessa and Scott's, but they are better than many other teams, and better than people like you say. Those exaggerations are not helping. They are just lending Davis/White fans and ubers reasons to say how terrible and biased we (Tessa and Scott fans) are.

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. sequins

sequins Active Member

Cause she's a moron. She is an embarassment and yet so typical of the reporting that happens on figure skating. Thoughtless, uninformed, mindless 'stuff' that helps no one and only solidifies the opinions of people who already think figure skating is a joke.

21. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll bite because come on now. Better than C-L? Nope. Better than P-B? Nope. Better than W-P? A couple of years ago, maybe? Now? Nope. Who's left? There's B-S, I'd say yes, better. Better than the Shibs? Hell, no. I am only talking about line and posture, not anything else. Better than I-K? Generally, no. They are indeed better than many other teams, but better than the Top 10 teams on this department, not at all and not even close.

ETA: In fact, some lower ranked teams have much better lines and posture than D-W. Paul and Islam? Hubbell and Donohue? Have you seen Guillaume Cizeron?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  22. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

THIS. I was just about to say it. D/W may have more speed than most teams. They may be more consistent. They may be a lot of things, but having better LINES? Nope.

23. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Also, here's a working link to the live Eurosport 2 feed. Snooker is on now (what is that?!?!), but next they're going to replay the men and ladies shorts then pairs and dance will be live. http://hotbladeshotpassion.blogspot.it/2010/01/russian-tv.html (Just choose "Eurosport 2" from the drop down in the first player!) The sd starts at 4:15 am EST. (Pairs at 3 am)

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

How journalist could say something like this in press? Did additorthis press have chief-a?
    additorr?
    Did she think she helped Tessa and Scott? I feel bad for them

25. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

I hope they have not removed the "swan lift"! It was spectacular!

26. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Thanks for the picture link MissJD.

As long as I've been a fan of figureskating in general, many of the journalists who cover it have almost always come across as if they didn't really want the assignment but drew the short straw. I wish that people like Phil Hersh and Rosie DiManno would educate themselves or at least let the papers find someone, anyone who really wants the story and might make an effort to do a better job with it. There has to be a newspaper version of a Terry Gannon type. Someone who might have been reluctant at first but did educate themselves about the in's and out's of the sport, who has come to appreciate it and who wants to truly educate the readers.

For Tessa and Scott, all I'm looking for is two great performances. I'm willing to start from there and move on to Canadians then Sochi. V&M's SD is IMHO the best dance in the field. Shows the true character of the chosen rhythm both in content, technique and how the dance is interpeted by V&M. I want the audience to see this dance the way it should be seen.

I still think the FD can work, but V&M can't back off. Even if they have a slight bobble, then move past it and kill it with the rest of the dance. Don't let that one bobble throw off the remainder of the program.

This is what I want from this competition. Good luck to Tessa and Scott.

27. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Sitting in front of computer. Ready to cheer for V&M!:cheer:

28. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

I'm ready and really anxious!! GO TESSA E SCOTT!!! :cheer:

29. parapluies

I hope they win the SD go V/M :cheer2: They are going to nail it!

30. kingandqueen

kingandqueen New Member

I feel so terrible because I can't watch GPF live. But it is better for my sanity :)