TESSA & SCOTT #33 Our Living Legends

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Here we go ... so excited with the two programs of Our Living Legends.

Cheers to our Tessa & Scott !

puglover and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ComplimentsFrom

ComplimentsFrom Banned Member

Huh? what happened to #32? I haven't finished organizing my thoughts for Tessa & Scott 32.0.

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

#32 is still there is you want to make a final comment.
    However we usually get a new thread with it hits 1000!
    You can just carry over your thoughts here if you have finished organizing them!

4. ComplimentsFrom

No need to: I just want to say that Tessa is kind of hot.

5. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

6. puglover

puglover Active Member

Kind of hot?? Perhaps absolutely breathtaking!! Love the new thread title. Thanks Emdee

7. ComplimentsFrom

I don't know-- I need to see that nip slip again.

8. puglover

puglover Active Member

Oh - my mistake for responding to your "compliments" at all.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you for new thread! :)

Yes, she ia an amazing photograher. I hope TS will see her photos.
    I think they like photos from our Russian amazing photograher Julia ;)

10. Golightly

I like her photos too! Those were amazing :)

11. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Great title thread!!! ;)

12. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Ehy girls, I've read something odd on fan forum.. one user said that during meeting with fans TS said that they regressed o_O its true??! I can't believe that! How they can say this?! I hope its just a misunderstanding!

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Yup they didn't regress at all but progressed.

14. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

I don't remember if this has been posted already but for all of the people who live in Canada, Stars on Ice will air on CBC on December 2 at 9pm.

Also, I transcribed more of the interview. If people would be interested, I could post it here in little chunks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  15. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

They were joking. They were talking about their senior debut and Valse Triste, which is Tessa's favourite program out of everything they've done. If you watch that bit you'll understand. Don't take everything so literally...;)

Btw, many thanks to the Russian & Ukrainian fans for recording and posting the meeting! It was a treat to watch. You're all wonderful fans.

16. bunhead

bunhead New Member

When Tessa admitted that her favourite dance is Valse Triste (FD from 2007), she said in a joking way that she loves that program so much that she sometimes feels none of their more recent work compare, hence her comment that she feels "like we've regressed." More than anything, I think this interview with Russian fans gives us a glimpse of just how ultra critical she is of herself, but Scott is very encouraging and supportive of her (ex. about making her do choreography for others once they retire). We really need to give her reassurance that she's more than fine -- she rocks!

17. m_chenning

m_chenning New Member

It would be nice of you! :) (btw our Pani was interested a part where Scott was packing the clock)

18. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Oh thank you!! I was more than sure that they had never said such a thing! I think the FF user has made a mistake ... is different to say "she was joking" to be sad because she said this like if this was the truth! :p She was joking, please! :D

These users do not know that they "scare" some poor fans who do not understand the language? :D

19. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

This starts right where I left of.

F: We have these sentences, if you could finish them with what is for you. So “Dance is…”

S: [To Tessa] You’re starting that one. The dance is…

T: Um, two things came to my head first; dance is heart and dance is making people feel something.

S: Dance is connection. … You work with that. [laughter]

F: Ok, “To me a partner is…”

S: Easy, no I’m just kidding. [mumbling] It’s easy for me. … Comforting. I think Tessa and I always feel happy that we’re not like a Patrick Chan or a singles skater where, well it would be nice to be Patrick Chan. But not to be able to go out and have each other, we always rely on that on the ice. Somedays I feel like I’m gonna freeze and I’m not going to have a good skate, Tessa always talks me of the ledge a little bit and we work together. So yeah, it goes both ways.

F: So did you ever want to be a singles skater?

T: No, never.

S: No, I can’t jump [mumbling]

F: And you? [to Tessa]

T: I think… well it’s also about trust, having the common goals and trusting one another enough to see that through and you know be together, supporting one another. I think there is just so much their that trust is the biggest thing. [Scott nods in agreement]

F: The last one “Figure Skating is…”

T: Work [laughter] I know we say this a lot, but it’s true. Figure Skating is a real unique balance of artistry and athleticism-

S: That’s my answer! [laughter]

F: She stole your line.

T: It is true through. It is the really special thing about skating. It’s one of our favorite things to explore: the balance and to push the boundaries of both.

S: Yeah, I was going to stay pretty much exactly that. Figure skating is the sport we love because it marries the athleticism and the artistry. There are not to many other opportunities to do that in sport.

20. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Now that I have the full context it makes sense I guess. I haven't watched the video in full. Tessa seems so self-deprecating, she needs to believe more in herself.

Thanks for the transcript Emma. And emdee for the new thread; I like that you used their first names instead.

21. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

F: Is figure skating [taking up] all your life?

S: Is it all my life? It’s pretty close right now. To be an elite athlete in any sport you really have to dedicate yourself. For us it’s been mainly figure skating up until this point.

F: There are probably other skaters/programs that you admire from the past. Were there any times that you wanted to dance [these programs]?

S: It’s a tough question. Generally, no. When we watch a great performance, we like to respect the artist and respect the skaters creativity. So it we are going to do it [skate to the same music] we want to do it completely different. So there were great Carmens before we did Carmen we tried to do something completely different. We really try and stay away from that

T: Get inspiration and appreciate it, but-

S: Like we couldn’t do a Bolero obviously. This year we kept listening to the music Somewhere in Time that Marie-France and Patrice skated to and it was beautiful. We connected to that music this year, but we just felt like we couldn’t do it; it was theirs.

T: We used it as our benchmark though because we listened to that piece and felt so emotionally connected to it and just loved it. So when ever we thought that maybe we had a piece that was close, we would listen to it and then listen to Somewhere in Time and see if it compared at all emotionally and usually it didn’t. So that was a good measuring stick for us to use.

S: But it’s giving the creators respect and we felt like you have to respect what has come before you.

22. Golightly

Thank you so much, cgirl8! Keep them coming :)

As for the comment, yes, she was joking. I think it makes sense that Valse Triste is her favorite given her dancing background.

23. blueglass

blueglass New Member

She was talking about the program, not about herself as a skater. So it would be the choreography that she was referencing as not on par with their later work.

24. Golightly

Er, she was providing a big enough exaggeration to explain just how much she loves Valse Triste. Hence the laughter afterwards.

25. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I love the thread title. They are indeed a legend. Unsurpassed quality skating.

26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Or the other way round - their later work not on par with 'Valse Triste' ;).

It's a pity, though, that they couldn't mention 'Carmen' as one of their favorite programs. Must be because of how it turned out for them last season :(. I truly hope that after the disappointment of judges not appreciating it the way they hoped and not winning with it they don't feel like just writing it off as an unsuccessful experiment.

27. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

F: What style of short dance do you like? What style of dance is your favorite?

T: I actually really enjoy the rhythm this year. It’s really cool because it’s so ballroom-y and classical dance and it is neat to transfer that to the ice … That’s a challenge, translating all of those techniques and things onto the ice. I was sort of hoping that [the short dance this year] would be a tango because it is a great compulsory dance, to work within that is always fun. I think this season has been really special and I am happy that we found the music that we did.

S: I do like the short dance or the original dance part of the program because it shows the differences between the skaters. It’s neat how the skaters can interpret a rhythm so differently. Tessa and I really like the foxtrot because of it’s intricacy, there’s a lot of good music. I don’t love the waltzes and stuff, it’s a little bit slower and not as entertaining for the public. I prefer something that’s a little more entertaining, more edgy.

28. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, cgirl8. As I am not a native English speaker it was a bit difficult for me to understand everything, so your transcription is really helpful.

29. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

Hopefully this will clear up an remaining confusion:

F: What’s your favorite dance out of all of the ones that you have done yourselves?

S: [pointing to Tessa] Valse Triste for her. 2007.

T: [pointing to Scott] Mahler or Umbrellas.

F: What about the samba?

S: It’s up there. That one, it’s funny because we relate to that one personally. That was a hard year because of Tessa’s surgery and we love that program, but it never really got to the level that we wanted it to get to. When we look back on videos it’s funny because we appreciate different things from each program and it’s kind of neat to look back. Sometimes we look back and think “Man, we were good in 2007. What are we doing now?”

T: I think we keep getting worse. [laughing]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  30. ComplimentsFrom

It's not that they're regressing per se, it's just that Davis & White is just progressing, technically and artistically, at just an impressive rate.