Terry Gannon

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ks777, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Did he leave ABC/ESPN? I see him on Universal sports covering olympics..
  2. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

I don't know but I sure ain't complaining! WHEEEE TERRRY!!!! :cheer2:
  3. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

As far as I have read, his contract is for coverage during the Games, but no mention if that contract extends beyond the games. He mostly does Basketball commentary for ESPN since they lost skating. I'd assume this is just temporary until Basketball season resumes (isn't there usually a break in Feb?). Although I'd love for NBC to hire him for figure skating!
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Especially if they can assign him to stuff a plug in Scott's mouth and kick Sandra Bezic every time she says something stupid. He's big and strong, and should be able to accomplish both simultaneously while still making intelligent comments for us listeners out here.
  5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He has simply one of the most comforting voices in sports broadcasting.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sasha is DIVINE

Sasha is DIVINE New Member

I live for Terry Gannon! Can't wait for the skating show on Universal!!
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

All we need is him and Mr. Button in the same booth - good times, good times.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I love Terry. He always does a great job :cheer: So glad to have him involved with skating again, even if it's only on the daily afternoon show.
  9. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

10. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

I'm just happy is talking about skating again. :biggrinbo
  11. RUKen

RUKen Guest

No, there is no break in the basketball season (college or professional) in February. His contract with ESPN must allow him to do other work, or he must have gotten permission from ESPN to do this. I agree that this is great for skating fans in the U.S.
  12. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Mind you I don't get Universal Sports, but what are you guys talking about? :confused:

Is Olympic Ice back on tv? Where can I see Terry??? :eek:
  13. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

14. newbatgirl

newbatgirl New Member

So happy that FSU posters can agree one one thing: Terry Gannon is made of awesome.
  15. Fannie Fatigue

Fannie Fatigue New Member

A big shout out for Terry Gannon. One of the highlights for me as well.
  16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

What a joy to see Terry back! :encore: :D
  17. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Yay, Terry!:encore::encore::encore:

Must email Universal Sports and thank them for this...
  18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Sorry, but not all of us agree. I find him lackluster, boring and uninteresting. I just don't get the Terry Gannon excitement.
  19. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

I heart Terry - so happy to see him covering the Olys! I miss listening to him at Nats.
  20. missysays

missysays New Member

He was so sassy today. :D So funny with the researcher.

I think the show is still finding its sea legs and you can see he's trying to figure out how to keep an hour long talk show going- it's different from just doing play by play on an event with some summary at beginning and end.

But I liked seeing his sense of humor- he normally doesn't get that much time to show off the funnies. Though with this expanded time slot you can really see that Peter Carruthers is just painful to watch and listen to as an on-air personality. Hope they get more behind-the-scenes footage in once competition gets going- and send Peter out of the studio.

I liked seeing the combo of Terry with Lindsey Soto the day before. They were pretty cool together- nice chemistry and back/forth. Hope this turns into an expanded gig for Terry.
  21. KayMil01

KayMil01 New Member

They should replae Tom Hammond with Terry for the Figure Skating commentary. While they're at it, replace Scott with Paul and Sandra with Susie Wynn or Tracy...get the whole ESPN back together!
  22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Oh, yeah. Dick and Terry played off each other so well. Peggy rounded out the trio, though she didn't say much that was funny or informative. Just chemistry, I suppose.

Throw Tara in the mix. We would get Uncle Dick and his looniness, Terry reigning him in, and Tara giving competent commentary.

Terry Gannon is hot, too. :)
  23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I loved it when Peggy and Dick would politely massacre the women with bad laybacks...memories :inavoid:.
  24. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Because he's one of the rare (dare I say ONLY) non-skater commentators that doesn't treat figure skating gigs like he drew the short straw. He approached figure skating with an open mind in the beginning and subsequently grew to love the sport. That's why many love him. He's shows respect to the sport, and in turn the fans show him respect.
  25. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

My dream team for this show would be Terry and Mary Carillo - how awesome would they be together?!
  26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I first read this as "dream podium" for this show :lol:

Terry + Mary + Tara = :smokin:
  27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You spoke for me!
    In addition, he admitted that when he began, he didn't know much. However, he wanted to learn; made the effort, and did so.
    In an interview, at 2009 Worlds, he admitted how much he missed covering skating.

As a champion athlete himself; he understood the mentality in other people, and knew how to convey that to the audience.
    LuckyCharm and (deleted member) like this.
  28. missysays

missysays New Member

What I also like about him is that he seems to honestly enjoy the skating and the skaters. In today's show he asked about Stephane Lambiel's chances because he feels like he's hanging in a little under the radar and may have the momentum to challenge. It shows that he's invested enough that he is able to form opinions and predict outcomes like any skating fan.

When I listen to other non-skater sportscasters talk during the skating segments, I always feel they're just reading what the researchers have prepared for them and that they're not interested enough to express opinions or make accurate calls. I feel like he actually remembers the skating history that he's witnessed and can weave it organically into the conversation.
  29. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Definitely. I remember at 2007 Nationals with the controversy over Flatt's triple-triple, and Dick was like "Oh it was a flutz. I agree with the judges," but Terry was like "That wouldn't matter whether it was downgraded or not."
  30. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

Online chat he did a couple of years ago:

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/wwos/chatwrap/terrygannon.html

I also remember him saying during a GP event at least 5 years ago that he thinks every sports fan should experience a couple of athletic feats live because TV doesn't do justice to how awesome they are. I remember one was seeing and hearing Tiger Woods hit a golf ball a couple hundred yards, the other was Shen & Zhao doing a throw triple jump. :inavoid:
  31. goldberry99

goldberry99 New Member

Terry has a facebook page -
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1209366675

I sent him a note and he replied within a day! If anyone else wants to send cheers and thanks to Terry, he sounds like he appreciates it!

Here's what I sent:

I just wanted to drop you a note that as a figure skating fan, it is WONDERFUL to hear your commentary again! I don't get UniversalSports, but I am downloading your hour long review/preview every day. You have always moved the broadcasts along at a perfect pace, explained the technical aspects to lay-audiences, and been emotional without getting carried away.

I understand why cable companies hire "name recognition" former champions as commentators, but unfortunately they always seem to lack your broadcasting skills. I hope you know how much figure skating fans love you!

Terry's response:

Thanks so much for your kind words. I really miss covering skating and am having a blast here.
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  32. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I agree! He's lovely.
  33. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

He plays Farmville! :lol:
  34. Ajax

Ajax New Member

:respec:
  35. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA :respec:
  36. pandask8

pandask8 New Member

Where can you download the Figure skating hour?
  37. Messalina

Messalina Sabre-rattler

Ahhh, I luv the Terry Gannon luv thread! I miss his smart, funny commentating. We don't get Universal Sports (it's so heartbreaking, I can barely stand to contemplate what I'm missing), so I'd also like to know where you can download his commentary. Is it an audio podcast or video?

I would have LOVED to have been there in San Jose when Rudi won! But being right there in the arena when Shen and Zhao performed their brilliant long to win their 2nd Worlds (and where Michelle won her last) was an incredible, pulse-racing live sports moment that I think he's talking about and I'm so grateful I was able to be there for it. It's so great that his general love of sports extends to urging people to fully experience it.
  38. bibi24

bibi24 New Member

Much <3 to Terry Gannon!

Tom Hammond is such a robotic mono-tone "captain obvious" booooring commentator. He's also got some kind of weird accent =/
  39. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA, he really learned about the sport during his skating tenure, and his commentary improved as a result. And he's easy on the eye!
  40. myamya

myamya New Member

I totally agree with you especially for replacing Scott part. I'm still upset about his stupid comment, which he said 3-3 results in higher score than 3A-2 because 3+3=6 is greater than 3.5+2=5.5. That's not very professional way to explain the difficulty of jumps. :mad: