Tentative 2014 US Nationals Schedule

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Nov 22, 2011.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I like this new schedule/format. I can see the seniors first, probably the Juniors, skip Novice, and fly home early.

2. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I think you need to look at the schedule again. It's Seniors, then novice, then juniors.

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

We can force them to go to Four Contintents?

4. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

I think you'd stay for the same reason you go early. If you are not one to go early, you won't stay but if you are one to go early, you will stay but I still do not like this schedule for so many reasons.

5. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

I am not rooting for Spokane. They had the event in 2007 and 2010. Spread the event around a little.

It's the 100th anniversary of the event (first held in New Haven in 1914), that would be cool if they could handle the event. Boston is bidding. I don't know who else is considering a bid.

I'd like to see it in a city with a major airport hub so many more can travel to the event without breaking the bank. I'd also like it to be more centrally located. Perhaps Colorado Springs should host since those that are behind the 2014 season can spend their holidays working hard to pull off this event. (me bad!). Seriously, imagine being a volunteer for that event and giving up your holiday season!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

As much as I would like to see it return to Connecticut, the only city that's capable of handling a Nationals is Hartford. The problem with Hartford is that the XCEL Center is very uncomfortable and a virtual pit. There's also the issue of a secondary rink nearby and other logistical issues. Skate America in 2005 uncovered all the warts.:p

7. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Isn't it more complicated going to Russia than it was going to Vancouver? Visas, jet lag, red tape.....I'm glad our skaters will have plenty of time in between.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  8. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Sadly, this is my biggest disappointment about the schedule as well.

I'll probably skip nationals and do an international competition instead.

9. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

There will be visa issues in 2014 that weren't present in 2010 for U.S. athletes - and it's not just the skaters who will require visas before they can arrive in Russia; coaches, parents, etc. will need visas - and visas to Russia are not always processed on a predictable timeline :shuffle: , at a time when there will an unusually large number of visa applications being submitted. (And speaking of "timely," after U.S. Figure Skating nominates the Olympic Team and USOC approves the nominations, the Sochi Olympic Committee will have to issue invitations before visa applications can be submitted, which is another step that could involve unpredictable timing. This is the first time that I've thought about the visa application process for Sochi, but now I'm wondering if Nationals should have been scheduled for November instead! :slinkaway )

This schedule is very different and my first reaction was between :eek: and :confused:. However, I'm a convert: I love it for an Olympic year. Putting the Seniors first will alleviate the headaches caused in 2010 by the deadline for 4Cs entries, so any athlete can be selected, not just those submitted on the entry/sub list, plus they will have some downtime between Nationals and 4Cs, which should decrease stress and increase performance. For the athletes selected for Sochi, this will allow a true periodization cycle between Nationals and the Olympics. Once again, this may decrease the risk of injuries and increase the probability of peak performance at the Olympics.

Putting the Novices and Juniors into a secondary arena will save money. A lot of money. Depending on the location of 2014 Nationals :D , A Lot Of Money. It also allows more flexibility in terms of selecting a host city by requiring only one weekend in a large arena (easier to schedule in a city with a large/busy arena) and fewer total days in the main arena. It's too bad that the Novices and Juniors will not be able to skate in the Big Rink, but in the Recent Era, Novices only started skating in the main arena in 2007 and the Juniors traditionally skated short in the secondary facility and long in the main arena, so there's precedent.

Plus, I suspect that the "secondary arena" will be an arena that seats a few thousand, so the Novices/Juniors may still have an "arena" experience - although I remember well when the Novices competed in a regular rink. One year, there were about a hundred bleacher seats. :rolleyes: . In addition, the main arena doesn't fill for the Novices/Juniors and the athletes are typically performing to empty seats with some scattered friends and family (oh, and elementary school children sitting in the top rows of one section and screaming randomly; can't forget them!). Skating in a packed arena in front of 2,000 people will be an electric environment that may mirror the experience of Senior Nationals much more than skating in an empty larger arena. The secondary arena at 2007 Spokane Nationals was an awesome environment, assuming you could find a seat and didn't drop anything. (There does not appear to be a smilie that looks like someone sitting in the middle of packed bleachers, desperately staring down 10 feet at his/her pencil swimming in a pool of dust bunnies, hoping that the pencil would magically teleport itself back up. This is the closest that I could find: :blocjudge . :rofl: )

One more thought: scheduling the Seniors on January 4th/5th instead of January 11th/12th means that the broadcast will be against the Wild Card round of the NFL playoffs instead of the Divisional Playoffs. I think that's probably better for viewship, although that's sheer speculation: among people I know, Nationals on television would beat out the moon landing, the final episode of Dallas, and the Superbowl, no question. :)

10. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

This will actually make the scheduling very difficult for NBC, as NBC televises the wild card games on Saturday. At the very least, that would mean no primetime coverage on NBC on Saturday.

11. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Doesn't that depend on if NBC has the early or the late wild card broadcast? Aren't there 2 - on the same day? Just askin.

12. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Hmm, excellent point. After thinking about this for a while, I suspect that men and dance will be broadcast live on Sunday, while figure skating will get an early afternoon slot on Saturday. That makes some sense, actually, given that men and dance are garnering the attention these days.

I think NBC has both games, which means that skating - if it were broadcast on NBC - would get an early afternoon slot. However, NBC doesn't have either Wild Card game on Sunday, I think, which would make figure skating the counter-programming for football... maybe? I'm outside my knowledge base here: figure skating :) ; marketing and television scheduling :confused: .

13. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

NBC does have both games on Wild Card Saturday, but neither of the games on Sunday. I'd think NBC would want the senior events to be the weekend of the 11th and 12th--that way they wouldn't have to compete with football at all on Saturday.

14. missing

missing Well-Known Member

Has the location of 4 Continents 2014 been announced?

15. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

The second weekend of the playoffs also has two Saturday games (and then two on Sunday), so that might not help.

The more that I think about this schedule, I'm increasingly convinced this schedule was created for the benefit of the athletes rather than at TV's behest. :cheer:

Taipei, January 20-26, 2014. There may still be a conflict between the entry deadline and the conclusion of the Senior events at Nationals, as happened in 2010, unless the entry deadline is shifted back a week so that it doesn't fall between Christmas and New Year's.