Tentative 2014 US Nationals Schedule

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Nov 22, 2011.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I've only been attending Nationals since 2001 and missed 2002 live. Is this schedule a first in terms of "front loading" Senior events?

TENTATIVE EVENT SCHEDULE (subject to change):
    MAIN ARENA
    Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013
    - Event load-in at main arena
    Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014
    - Official practice sessions
    - Officials Meeting
    Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014
    - Senior Pairs Short Program
    - Senior Ladies Short Program
    Friday, Jan. 3, 2014
    - Senior Short Dance
    - Senior Men’s Short Program
    Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014
    - Senior Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Senior Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014
    - Senior Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - Senior Free Dance (Finals)
    - 2014 U.S. Championships Skating Spectacular
    SECONDARY ARENA (subject to change)
    Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014
    - Official practice sessions
    Monday, Jan. 6, 2014
    - Novice Men’s Short Program
    - Novice Pairs Short Program
    - Novice Ladies Short Program
    - Novice Compulsory Dance
    - Junior Short Dance Program
    Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014
    - Novice Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Free Dance (Finals)
    - Junior Free Dance Program
    Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014
    - Junior Ladies Short Program
    - Junior Men’s Short Program
    - Junior Pairs Short Program
    Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014
    - Junior Pairs Free Skate
    - Junior Men’s Free Skate
    - Junior Ladies Free Skate

2. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I guess being an Olympic year, they want the team settled as quickly as possible. Being only a few weeks after the GP Final isn't going to give some skaters much "down time."

On the plus side, I might get an extended holiday vacation. :lol:

3. sk9tingfan

It will probably mean that I will be working during the Christmas to New Year's break. But that's OK with me.

4. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

The novice & juniors would be held entirely in the secondary arena, possibly allowing the main arena to be reserved for a smaller length of time (and therefore maybe saving some money?)?

Not sure how early skaters typically arrive at Nationals, but it looks like the senior ladies & pairs, and possibly the men & dance teams, would be spending NYE in Boston? (hopefully Boston ;))

5. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

I suspect TV wants skating content the first weekend in January. I don't like it, but from a financial standpoint USFS probably doesn't have much choice.

It's not great for folks attending the event when the juniors and novices follow the seniors, for obvious reasons. Occasionally in the past we've had something like Junior Ladies FS after Senior Ladies FS, but never anything like this schedule.

It's too bad there won't be any novice and junior winners skating in the exhibition.

The airfare for spectators with the outbound leg coming at the end of the holiday season will be a major ouch.

Wonder why the schedule doesn't include the juvenile and intermediate events.

6. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like the sched for Omaha does, either - all-event tix only mention Novice-Senior. I guess tix for the (formerly) JN events will be sold separately. Really, for these prices, they should include those events in the all-event package. Not many people will be interested, but for die-hard skating fans who are willing to pay those prices, we should be able to watch the younger skaters.

7. sk9tingfan

Lots of secondary arena choices if Boston will be the successful site and that Nationals would be held in Boston proper. Options include Agganis Arena(Boston University), Bright Arena(Harvard University) and Matthews Arena (Northeastern). Agganis would be great in terms of location and accessibility

8. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

well those dates mean I won't be going. Close is that week...

Maybe 2014 is the year for TEB again :)

9. officialcoach

officialcoach New Member

What about the Juvenile and Intermediate schedule?

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Since the OLY in Sochi begin on Feb 7th, I suspect that they want the skaters prepared and/or rested before the games.

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

The GREAT news here is that all of the senior events will happen within the same timeframe, rather than splitting Men & Pairs off from Dance & Ladies, with a week in between, as was tried in 2010. This affords a great excuse to continue the Holidays Merry-making!

12. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

Last time I remember the US Championships were that early was in 1992, also an Olympic year, when they began January 3. But the normal schedule was followed and we still had the figures events that year. They Olympics started Feb. 8th that year. It worked out just fine.

I don't like the schedule with the Seniors first making the event anti-climatic. The Exhibition will be stupid because it won't include the Novice and Juniors. I think this sends the wrong message to Novice and Juniors. They could start 12/27 and keep the normal schedule and still end the same day. Or they could back it up to Dec 10, after GP Finals. I think I'll write the Director of Competition and see if they even considered that or what their thinking was when they selected those dates.

This is not a good week for TV with all the college football. There are several games New Years Eve and that weekend but the BCS Championship is the following weekend so I suspect that NBC will not be broadcasting any bowl games that year.

I know it's a struggle to squeeze 4CCs in before the Games but perhaps that should be held earlier in the season.

The schedule is just plain dumb. They better award it where there is a huge fan base or the audience might look a bit empty.

Of course, many won't want to deal with the weather in Omaha in 2013 either.

It is what it is....

13. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

Ann, you know USFS doesn't really consider fans. With live online coverage, more and more fans are opting for that rather than attending events. I didn't even think about airfare when I posted but you are absolutely correct, it will be expensive. This may be another event I will skip. I wonder where Worlds will be that year? Or perhaps the GPF will be a good option instead.

I did not get Omaha tix but thanks for the call and email about tix sales!

I hope to see you in San Jose!

14. Carolla5501

The other thing I think this schedule may effect is All Event Tickets. Looking at it, if I was able to go this one would be "Championship Weekend" (Saturday and Sunday only)

Generally I try to do some of the Junior events but haven't done Novice in years and can't see me staying after the weekend for Novice. (It's not that I don't like Novice, it's just that I don't have the time or $$$ to spend a full week at Nationals so I have to skip something) This same time of "mess" resulted in no All Event ticket for Spokane since I went only on the weekends.

So to whomever bids on this.. realize that a lot of the "hype" they will tell you about how many fans/$$$ this will bring in are not based on "spending New Years at a skating event" LOL!

This schedule is just bad in so many ways. Once again the USFSA shows thier "contempt" of fans.

15. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if pleasing NBC wasn't the major factor in this schedule.

I've been attending since 1990. This is a first for a schedule like this for me. Have I missed where 2014 Nationals will be held? Which city? If I were the bidding city, I would absolutely HATE this schedule. I think the only hope is it's listed as "tentative".

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's too late now as the GPF is set, but I wish they'd moved up the start of the season by 2 weeks with the games being so early!

And mid December would have been a better time for US Nationals, as that is somewhat of a "dead spot" on the college football calendar.

Ya know...there's always skating on during the holidays anyway, I wonder if NBC will ever push to have Championship weekend between Christmas and New Year's? Probably not, the bigger bowl games start on Christmas eve.

It's so wierd that there is NFL on 1/1 this year. That's supposed to be a day for college football players!

17. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

This schedule makes Sr. Nationals feel like a Grand Prix event. Four days to get it all done. As I die hard fan, I prefer a more traditional event, but in an Olympic year, it should be all about what is best for the athletes. Is this best for them? I hope so.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

This tentative schedule ("subject to change") is what is included in USFS' bid package/request for proposal for 2014 Nationals -- deadline for host cities to complete and return their applications is by February 3, 2012.

19. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

That's probably what is going on, kwanette.

20. Carolla5501

Don't a lot of "arenas" have events on 12/31? So USFS expects them to give up that money for this??? IFFY IMHO! (I know that the arenas where I live have always seemed to have some "concert" on NYE.

21. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:confused: For the last couple of seasons all the senior events have happened over four days. I'm not sure how this schedule is different, other than seniors have to compete first instead of last.

Although I concede this schedule is "subject to change" it definitely appears the USFS and (or NBC :shuffle: ) is wanting the senior events first in 2014. Don't you think, Sylvia?

I'm hoping the host city will offer "championship event" tickets as well as "all event" tickets, rather than just a "weekend package" for the free skates/free dance.

22. A.H.Black

For me (and I suspect those who attend regularly) the big difference is practices. I come early and I do attend novice and junior competitions. However, the big draw for me is, was and always will be - Sr. Men's Practice. I'm sure for others it is Dance or Pairs or Ladies, but the build-up from novice through junior with practice along the way - all leading up to senior competition - is a big deal. As much as I like junior men's, I won't stay for 5 days to watch novice and junior practices after the main event (and all those practice sessions) are over.

I wonder how many cities will actually bid.

Dee2e and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Carolla5501

I think this is going to the reaction of a lot of us. You put the "big draw" first why should we stay? It's not cheap and....well it's novice. While they are cute it's best not to get too attached. A lot of them are never seen again :)

24. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Seems like this schedule would be ideal for a city like Spokane, which packed the arena for the Novice and Junior events with locals. I'm hoping Boston gets it, but Spokane wouldn't be a bad alternative. As much as people complain about having it in that city, they do an amazing job with the event.

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

What genius came up with this schedule? :confused:

26. A.H.Black

I've been looking at the calendar and I can see that there are some issues that are just plain old hard to deal with.

Scenario #1

Nationals - January 5-12, 2014 with senior events January 9-12
    This is the schedule we would normally expect to see. Under this schedule there are 3 weekends between Nationals and Olympics (starting Feb 7th). With Four Continents somewhere in that 3 weeks, this is pretty tight.

We would normally assume that the members of the Olympic Team would not be competing at Four Continents. However, who knows what the injury and competition experience will be like that year. If, for example, Davis and White (knock on wood) had an injury that year that prevented them from competing until Nationals, they might very well want to use Four Continents for some additional competition experience.

Scenario #2

Nationals - December 29, 2013 - January 5, 2014 with senior events on January 2-5th.
    This schedule might require many novice and junior competitors to travel the day after Christmas or even on Christmas Day. I can envision many complaints and upset parents and coaches with this schedule.

I don't know what the schedule for Grand Prix Finals is like that year. That schedule could add to the scheduling challenges for Nationals.

Personally I prefer either scenario to the tentative schedule being proposed by the USFSA. I think any city bidding for Nationals would prefer another scenario as well.

27. Jammers

All i know is that US Nationals in 2010 ended less then 3 weeks before the start of Olympics and our skaters were great in Vancouver. If this 2014 schedule comes to pass our skaters will be waiting 5, 6 weeks to compete which is way to long considering they will be peaking right about then. The last thing they need to do is sit and wait. What the hell is the USFSA thinking?

28. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Opening day of Vancouver Olympics - Feb 12

Opening day of Sochi Olympics - Feb 7

So Nationals needs to be earlier than it was in 2010.

Simple math.

29. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

The skaters also have the new team competition at the Olympics to think about. I doubt many of them will want to go to 4CC's

30. Jammers

So why not have Nationals start on the 7th? They would end on the 16th which is more then enough time to get ready for Sochi. Starting them in December is moronic.