Tennis star Maria Sharapova announced she has tested positive for a recently banned drug (meldonium)

Sylvia

TBD
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/08/maria-sharapova-meldonium-drug-test-sponsors
... [she] has yet to explain whether she applied for a retrospective Therapeutic Use Exemption, a certificate granted to athletes who have legitimate medical reasons for taking otherwise banned medication, after failing the test. Had this been granted Sharapova could have avoided a ban under World Anti-Doping Agency rules.
It also can also be revealed that the International Tennis Federation and the Women’s Tennis Association warned players five times during December about meldonium’s impending ban.

Sylvia

TBD
Christopher Clarey's column: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/sports/tennis/maria-sharapova-is-planning-a-new-game.html
Excerpts:
... But her legal team intends to argue for a much shorter suspension, and the feeling in the Sharapova camp Tuesday was that a ban of one year or less was achievable.
Greene said there was also the possibility of applying retroactively for a therapeutic-use exemption for meldonium, which would be based on Sharapova’s long-term medical usage. If approved, it could absolve her.
“That would be the first thing I would counsel her to do, is to apply for a retroactive T.U.E.,” he said. “It’s a tough standard to meet, a much harder standard than a forward-going T.U.E., but I’ve had a case in the past where that happened, and I’ve gotten retroactive T.U.E.s. that have wiped out adverse analytical findings. It’s not impossible.”
The nature of Sharapova’s long-term usage should be critical to her case. If she can prove it was for legitimate medical purposes, the case for leniency is stronger. There is also the fact that she has plenty of company in 2016, with athletes across a range of sports — from figure skating and speed skating to track and weight lifting — testing positive this year for meldonium, whose use was reportedly widespread before the ban, particularly in Russia.
Haggerty said the confidentiality requirements of the coming hearing precluded him from identifying the doctor who prescribed the medicine, which is not approved for sale in the United States but is widely available without a prescription in Russia and some other European nations. Haggerty also indicated that it was only one of several drugs Sharapova was prescribed at the time.
“I think there’s a misunderstanding that Maria took mildronate and only mildronate, and that was to address all of her medical conditions,” Haggerty said. “She took mildronate and a number of other medicines.”
ETA:

AP article with more critical quotes from Dick Pound: http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/...sharapova-guilty-willful-negligence-drug-test
"I am sorry, if you are running a $30 million a year sole enterprise you better make sure the basis for that commercial success, if nothing else, remains unassailable," Pound added in the interview with the AP on the sidelines of the Tackling Doping in Sport conference at Twickenham Stadium.
Pound disclosed that international tennis officials had flagged up the use of meldonium to the WADA committee that monitors the use of various drugs and recommends whether to put them on the banned list.
"Clearly, within the tennis circle at least, they were aware that a lot of the players were using it (meldonium) and said that there must be something to this, so they referred it to the WADA list committee," Pound said.
So far, Sharapova is the only tennis player with a known positive test for meldonium.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Her physician must have known the properties of the drug.

I think she should get the usual ban because she was given the opportunity to taper off the drug gracefully, but did not. Furthermore, she could have done what was necessary to be on the drug temporarily starting right at the beginning of the new ban, which would have made her inactive but still offered her an extension of the grace period.

Rock2

Dick Pound, former WADA President was pretty scathing about Maria.
Basically said she's the head of a business with $30M income annually. This income is all dependent on her being eligible to play. So, maintaining this status should be her top priority, with zero room for mistakes.

He called her actions 'reckless beyond description'.
Yikes.

If you cast aside the bluntless of his point, you can agree with him, unless Maria's priority is to pull out the stops and take risks to win big events, thinking she already has enough money to live on.

Hard to know what's really going through her head, but she did make the right strategic call IMHO, to get out ahead of this. Good on her.

Sylvia

TBD
Fact check: do Maria Sharapova’s responses over her failed test stand up?
While plenty of questions still remain over Sharapova’s long-term use of meldonium, a look at how her answers so far fare in the face of close scrutiny
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/09/fact-check-maria-sharapova-failed-test-meldonium

ETA:

Christine Brennan: Maria Sharapova can't avoid lengthy suspension

Why was Maria Sharapova taking meldonium? Her lawyer responds
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/10/maria-sharapova-meldonium-drugs-lawyer-explains

Last edited:

Lacey

I am angry if Sharapova might seem, call me crazy, to have constructed this idiotic idea that she needed to prevent illness: Flu, Diabetes, what else, oh irregular EKGs, wait there was something, Magnesium Deficiency? Isn't she brave? But huh did someone say she took it for 10 years, when 4 weeks might have been enough? Wait, 4 weeks will prevent Diabetes? Hey, Hey, what do you say, PR wins? Serena came out yesterday and said Sharapova showed a lot of heart... Pot kettle gray? http://www.people.com/article/maria-sharapova-spotted-out-fail-doping-test-serena-wiliams. I want to call BS on them both, Sharapova first because she apparently earned the most money out of women's tennis, but Serena came a close second, should we wonder how? Will we ever know?

I'm not sad if and when any of them get caught, and by them, I am saying I am suspicious that ALL professional and some amateur sportsmen and women do drugs. And if I were an athlete, I would have to put me on a list somewhere too because apparently IMO there are doctors who are mistreating their patients. Who, What, When?

Apparently there might be more from the Russian figure skating team, but I fervently hope there are no more skaters from any country doing any kind of drugs, yet can't doubt that there might be more because skating has become an endurance sport.

And of course, we haven't even touched other sports...American Baseball comes to mind--Lenny Dykstra or Alex Rodriguez among those suspended. Lance Armstrong might be the king of all time athletic cheaters--I am so insulted that I spent hours following his races. American Footballers are apparently doing PEDs or HGHs--maybe that is why some are retiring, get out now before you get caught. The Track and Field stars just keep going faster, higher--the swimmers faster, longer.

This drug Meldonium is probably only one of many. A lot more athletes are going to get caught for this and other drugs. I am concerned for the Olympics. I can only dream that the testing has gotten more sophisticated and will be implemented this summer and at future Os--let's hope they keep updated.

I recently have had a lot of dental work. The drugs that were offered to me would scare an addict. I rejected all. I blame the doctors second, but first I blame the athletes, they know, wouldn't any human being ask what is that pill for, what is that shot for? There should be checks and balances.

I am sad for our children that the bubbles around their heroes can be busted. Adults know better.

I hope any athlete doing drugs or additives loses his or her $$$ contracts and yes, their careers.

Loves_Shizuka

I have always liked Sharapova, but I have to say it is a fcucking masterclass in PR that there is so much sympathy for her. She certainly got her money's worth on this one.

As I said in the other thread, there's a #worldwithmaria hashtag doing the rounds... :shuffle:

Ultimately, I don't think she'll get banned for very long at all.

Seerek

I suspect it will be a minimum 12 month ban, plus returning the $280K quarterfinal prize money from the Australian Open. Maria would have to initially depend on tournament Wild Cards similar to how Kim Clijsters returned in 2009.

This whole incident somewhat supports my suspicion over the years that Maria has in fact never been as hands-on with her career as we are led to believe (i.e. she's always had dependence on a large support team from when she was 10 years old, all the way back to her IMG and Nick Bollettieri days).

tamuno

is so much sympathy for her

No. I don't see a single headline in sympathy for her unless you are counting 'her fans', and there shouldn't be. Lol Vagabond I couldn't agree more.

Plisskin

I have always liked Sharapova, but I have to say it is a fcucking masterclass in PR that there is so much sympathy for her. She certainly got her money's worth on this one.
Ikr? Under most articles the majority of the comments have people feeling sorry for her. I can't help but think mannn, had this been Serena....

Xela M

Ikr? Under most articles the majority of the comments have people feeling sorry for her. I can't help but think mannn, had this been Serena....

Had this been Serena, all tennis stars would have stood by her unlike with Maria who is clearly very unpopular among her peers.

Meoima

Had this been Serena, all tennis stars would have stood by her unlike with Maria who is clearly very unpopular among her peers.
Ironically the ones who said supportive words towards her are Novak and Serena. The rest mostly bash her.

topaz

Maria has not been friendly to other players on the tour. She has been cordial at times but not friendly. Serena is well liked by the players. Venus is especially liked. Venus is an advocate for women's tennis when she did not have to be.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/mar/12/maria-sharapova-tennis-drugs-test-positive

As an avid tennis watcher, I have always seen Maria act very professionally throughout her career. I do believe that she trusted her team in this manner.

Simona Halep was cordial as was Agi Radwanska. Andy Murray had one the best responses.

bardtoob

Are you F@#$ING kidding me? Serena is constantly called a man and receives borderline racist jabs from western media as well as even officials from competing countries. Serena would receive far worse treatment than Maria.

Xela M

Are you F@#$ING kidding me? Serena is constantly called a man and receives borderline racist jabs from western media as well as even officials from competing countries. Serena would receive far worse treatment than Maria.

Serena may be ridiculed by the media (more Eastern than Western) but she is very well-liked and respected by other tennis stars. I can't see Murray or Nadal putting a knife into Serena

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
Serena may be ridiculed by the media (more Eastern than Western) but she is very well-liked and respected by other tennis stars. I can't see Murray or Nadal putting a knife into Serena

Serena is 100 times friendlier to the other players on tour off the court than Maria is though. She is even more sporting on the court typically despite her intensity and deep hunger to win. It is little wonder the other players, particularly the women, like her a lot better.

Maria goes out of her way to treat the others like garbage, and even practically boasts about having no friends on tour and needing nobody. So she shouldn't expect compassion or encouragement at a time like this.

Seerek

Yes, on the day of the announcement, almost all of the twitter responses of support from current/former players were male.

Only two active female players tweeted support for Maria: Madison Keys and (still injured) Jamie Hampton.

Xela M

Yes, on the day of the announcement, almost all of the twitter responses of support from current/former players were male.

Only two active female players tweeted support for Maria: Madison Keys and (still injured) Jamie Hampton.

Apart from Novak's subdued support, what other male players supported her? Andy Murray went completely nuts. To be fair, I too find Head's decision to extend their contract with Maria completely baffling. She will definitely be disqualified, so when is she likely to use the Head racquet?!

Serena was the most supportive of all. Serena is such a great person. I used to always root against her, but she completely won me over not just with her unique talent, but she just seems like such a decent and intelligent personality. A great lady.

gk_891

Yeah, Serena is great. And like her or not, she is a phenomenal tennis player and athlete. Perhaps the best of all time when it comes to ladies tennis (although I also wouldn't argue against Graf or Navratilova for that title).

ioana

Serena was the most supportive of all. Serena is such a great person. I used to always root against her, but she completely won me over not just with her unique talent, but she just seems like such a decent and intelligent personality. A great lady.

She also goes out of her way occasionally to make nice to other players. This example always stood out in a good way for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07psUgGZeIA

Sylvia

TBD
It's unclear whether meldonium change could impact Maria Sharapova's case: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ldonium-change-maria-sharapova-case/82984656/
The World Anti-Doping Agency on Wednesday announced a change that could lead to doping cases being thrown out, but whether that applies to Maria Sharapova — the highest-profile athlete to test positive for meldonium — remains to be seen.
Sharapova has not said when she last took the drug. The International Tennis Federation provisionally suspended her and she is awaiting a hearing, which the head of the Russian tennis federation said could come in June.
"The fact that WADA felt compelled to issue this unusual statement now is proof of how poorly they handled issues relating to Meldonium in 2015,” John Haggerty, Sharapova’s attorney, said in a statement. “Given the fact that scores of athletes have tested positive for taking what previously was a legal product, it's clear WADA did not handle this properly last year and they’re trying to make up for it now.
“The notice underscores why so many legitimate questions have been raised concerning WADA's process in banning Meldonium as well as the manner in which they notified players. This notice should have been widely distributed in 2015, when it would have made a difference in the lives of many athletes."
ETA: http://rbth.com/sport/2016/04/13/doping-russian-athletes-may-escape-bans-over-meldonium-use_584559
Excerpt re. Sharapova:
According to President of the Russian Tennis Federation Shamil Tarpischev, tennis star Maria Sharapova, who tested positive for meldonium after the 2016 Australian Open may also be pardoned, but the final decision will be made by the International Tennis Federation.
"The procedure is going well and I believe that we will win. We hope that Maria Sharapova will participate in the Olympics," Tarpischev told RIA Novosti.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
http://tass.ru/en/sport/878611
The Russian tennis authorities will be able to substitute tennis star Maria Sharapova in the 2016 Olympics entry list before July 18 in case she would be disqualified by the International Tennis Federation (ITF), the world’s governing body of tennis announced to TASS on Friday.
Russian Tennis Federation (RTF) President Shamil Tarpishchev told TASS earlier in the week that Sharapova, currently suspended over doping abuse accusations, had been included in the Russian women tennis players national Olympic entry list for the 2016 Games in Rio, but would be replaced in case she was disqualified by the ITF.

Last edited:

usova94gold

Banned Member
Why have they not decided on the suspension yet. It is getting ridiculous since the sentence handed down could easily end up LESS than the time she has already missed her suspended sentence/probation period, in which case she could probably sue (despite that she was injured and probably wouldnt have returned to the tour yet regardless).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information