Tendon Bump advice?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by The Accordion, Oct 14, 2012.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I recently started skating again after a bit of a hiatus. The first day I was back my ankles hurt around my tendons and not long after I took my skates off I had bruises on both at the front where the tongue of my skates goes by the tendon there.

Someone suggested I had tied my skates too tight - so the next couple times I loosened them. My left tendon recovered and is fine - but the right one continues to hurt and there is a bump there that gets worse after skating.

When I was younger I had similar bumps on my achilles that got to be about the size of half golf balls. But this time it is in the front. I have been using a make up sponge with the middle cut out and that seemes to relieve the pressure.

But I thought I would check here to see if anyone has had anything similar?

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I had / have similar problems. It started one year ago when I overtrained (I was thinking about taking part in an adult competition then but had far too little time to prepare – so my mistake) and that when being stressed due to private reason (a close relative of mine passed away). I developed such bumps on the tendon / ligament on both feet on that area that is covered by the tongue of my boot when skating.

As I skated several years without such problems I guess skating stressed played a big role as I skated with “tightened” tendons then causing more pressure to them. In the end it got so bad that I had to reduce skating for a couple of months to biweekly training with maximum of 40 minutes on ice. I was really painful then, almost like a knife cutting into my feet. :(

I put painkiller salve on it, bought some device to have electric therapy and put some extra padding into my boots, but I think what helped most was arnica cream, Kinesio taping & proper stretching before and after skating. The bumps didn’t go away but at least I can skate again almost normally. However, I’d be very grateful for any tips on what can be done that these bumps would disappear at all as they look bad when I wear a skirt in summer and when doing some elements they still cause inconvenience. :(

In my case tying the boots too tight is sure also part of the problems, however, I just can’t skate with boots loose along the ankles. So loosen up the boots won’t be a solution. :slinkaway

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

My friend packs lambs wool between the tongue and where it lays on her foot.

4. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

It would be nice to check how well your skates fit with the pro shop.

Many skaters are bothered by the tongue of the skates (esp. during break in period), and they wear gel ankle sleeves to reduce the pain. I am not sure how often do they develop similar bumps. Bumps on the back of the ankle are fairly common.

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback everyone!
    It sounds - from you and other things I have read that as though as long as I take care of the pain it should be okay.
    I tried a gel pad - but what seems to be working better is a make up sponge with a hole in it. It seems to be taking the pressure off.

6. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like classic lacebite. Gel ankle sleeves really help a lot (either Bunga Pad or Silippos, both of which are available on Amazon.com and most rink shops).

Also, try using lacebite lacing in the ankle area to reduce pressure on the tongue of your skate. Lace your skates as usual until you get to the hooks. Then, instead of taking each lace all the way across the front of the tongue to wrap around the hook on the other side, just bring both laces to the middle of the tongue and cross them around each other, so that the lace coming from the right side hooks around the other lace and then returns to the right side to go over the next hook on the right side (and the same with the lace coming from the left side hooking around the right lace in the middle, then returning back to the left side to hook over the next hook on the left side.