Team Trophy Before Other Events At The Olympics

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by loulou, May 1, 2011.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Actually, the IOC doesn't allow that. For Olympic medals to be awarded, the competition must be stand alone.

(That's why there are no mini medals for short programs at the Olympics)

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

And it doesn't make sense. Why potentially get two medals for one performance of a program?

3. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Please remember that this competition is not just some cheesefest. This is awarding Olympic medals. In this scenario, Kozuka is not "having to compete while Daisuke is resting". Kozuka would have another chance to earn an Olympic medal which Daisuke did not get. Kozuka had to compete in the preliminary round this year, and it did not hurt him.

I think this should be held after the regular competition, but I can't see giving skaters another chance to earn an olympic medal- when almost every other sport gives athletes more than one chance each cycle- as a bad thing.

4. Thais

Thais New Member

You have a point. However, I find it hard to believe that any of these big federations you named, would hate to have another chance of winning the Olympic gold medal.

5. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I meant they would not sanction doing team before individual.

6. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

If the older generation were to continue on to Sochi not being fresh wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to them getting a medal. Their biggest obstacle would be the judges who wouldn't be on their side in the first place. So as a fan of old people, I think a team even would be their best chance at a medal in Sochi and I'd be surprised if they didn't realize it. So it would make more sense for them to put their effort behind that goal while still hanging on to a long shot's chance at an individual medal.

7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Plushenko, Joubert and Takahashi will likely not be in a team event, as their federations would surely choose the "best" from each discipline to be on the team (ie. Gachinsky, Amodio, Kazuka, although nothing is set in stone). A more likely veteran type scenario is where someone like Rochette or Pachelet/Bourzet would consider returning or staying on not for a chance for an individual medal but a team one. Both would likely still be the best in their country by that time but may have considered retiring were it not for this team event.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. minignome

minignome New Member

NBC won't sanction the ladies competition not being one of the last events of the Olympics. :D

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

As explained in Post # 30, neither Takahashi, Kozuka, nor Oda will be pariticipating in the team event.

On the other hand, some of these skaters may very well be pariticipating:

Stina Maritini & Severin Kiefer
    Alexandra Malakhova & Leri Kenchadze
    Georgi Kenchadze
    Kristina Tremasova & Dimitar Lichev
    Vitali Luchanok
    Lesia Valadzenkva & Vitali Vakunov
    Lubov Bakirova & Mikalai Kamianchuk
    Danielle Montalbano Evgeni Krasnopolski
    Brooke Elizabeth Frieling & Lionel Rumi

There's also a chance that having a Team competition will lead to getting rid of the Exhibition. :shuffle: