Team competition at Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by That Don Guy, Dec 31, 2011.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy New Member

Sorry if this is "old news," but there doesn't seem to be a search function on this forum...
    Anyway, buried in the figure skating qualifying procedures for Sochi (the short version: 75% of the spots filled through the 2013 Worlds, and the remaining 25% through the 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy), are the instructions for the "team competition" for Sochi.

According to the document, there will be 10 countries (which will qualify based on the 2013-14 ISU Grand Prix events and the 2013 Worlds / Europeans / Four Continents), which enter one man, one woman, one pair, and one dance couple, each of which skate a short program (presumably separately from the non-team competitions for those disciplines); the top five teams (based on 10 for first, 9 for second, and so on) then skate a free skate/dance, and the placing points are added to the short program placing points to determine the final results.

The qualifying documents (for speed skating as well as figure skating) are available in a ZIP file here. (The details on the team competition are in an appendix near the end.)

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Glad to find out more detail. I was guessing they would just use the results of selected skaters during their normal competition. For example, if the U.S. selected Wagner, Abbott, D/W and E/L then just use their placements (or points totals) and after the last event (ladies) you can name the medalists. It might seem pointless but this would appeal to people who think figure skaters are so fragile that they can't possible skate another program or two while in Russia. I like this more, though, a separate competition. I do wonder how they will squeeze it in. Before or after individual events?

3. whoa

whoa Member

Thanks for the update! I'm curious as to how this is going to work out in reality. It'll be cut from 10 nations to five to the top three? Not a fan of the idea at all, since I think the Olympic medals should go to the best individual figure skaters only, but we'll see what this is like!

FYI - I don't know if you can search through the entire FSU forum, but in Great Skate Debate (and presumably any other section), there's a search function in the upper right corner ("Search This Forum").

4. That Don Guy

That Don Guy New Member

I wonder how they're going to find time to do it. Right now, the Sochi 2014 schedule has the figure skating/short track speed skating venue having events every day.

I was going to say that they would probably change the rules and just use the "individual" event performances towards the team event, but they can't, as all of the short programs have to be done before any of the free skates (since the short programs determine which five teams advance to the free skate portion).

5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I think it might backfire to have skaters reuse their programs. A lot of casual fans don't realize that you keep the same program for multiple competitions. The ones I know who don't realize this are always disappointed when they find it out, too!

Are there even 10 countries that compete in all four disciplines at this level? (I know it's lazy to ask, but I am betting someone on this board knows the answer and can point to stats, ha ha ha.)

6. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

My understanding is that the team event takes place before the other disciplines.
    You are right about the venue of Short track and FIGS being close to full ( I believe there is only 1 dark day).
    They may have to resort to skating the team event before the opening ceremonies..like some of the team events in the Summer Olympics.

7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Looking at the results from the 2011 World Championships, yes. If I counted right, I counted 10 countries with competitors in all four disciplines.

US
    Russia
    Japan
    Germany
    Canada
    China
    Italy
    France
    Great Britain
    Czech Republic

Of course the number could be higher or lower by 2014.

8. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Japan probably won't have a pair team in 2014, since it would take a total overhaul of Japanese immigration law for Mervin Tran to get citizenship in time.

What's Ondrej Hotarek's status? I know there are other Italian pair teams, but I prefer Berton/Hotarek...

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting in that there can be partial teams which I beleive could compete with just Men Pairs and Ladies and see what happens.

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Well, then what would stop countries from having all men, then? Someone like Kevin Reynolds would still get a way higher score in his LP than, say, Virtue/Moir.

11. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

The team competition seems to me to be joke. Can you imagine someone like Rachael Flatt winning a gold medal if she's on the US team? She will have as many Olympic Gold medals as someone like Yuna Kim. :confused:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy New Member

Each team is allowed only one skater/pair per discipline. The team cannot have, say, four men and no one in the other three disciplines.

A team can leave one discipline out for whatever reason, although if a country that qualifies for the team competition does not qualify in each of the four "individual" disciplines (although the way the qualifying system works, this seems unlikely), the country can include a skater/pair in those disciplines just for the team competition.

13. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

And more than Michelle Kwan.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Austria and Bulgaria did too. But their current pairs and dance couples are not going to draw in viewers. :shuffle:

I suppose Japan might be able to scrape together an Olympics-eligible pair, but I wouldn't expect them to be anywhere near as good as Takahashi and Tran.

ETA:

It appears that the ISU is planning on scapping the Exhibition in order to have enough time to stage the Team Competition.

Personally, I would rather watch Javier Fernández, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, and/or Takahiko Kozuka doing exhibition programs than watch Kristina Tremasova & Dimitar Lichev doing their Short Dance and Stina Martini & Severin Kiefer doing their Short Program.

YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

There are already skaters not as good as Kwan (or Kim) who have OGMs, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Several sports have the equivalent of a team competition, which means weaker athletes can win medals they likely wouldn't win competing individually: track, swimming, artistic and rhythmic gymnastics. I have no problem with skaters getting the same opportunity. While it's nice to have a gala, I think it's actually easier to justify the inclusion of a team event in the Olympics than a gala held outside the competition.

Spain now has a junior pair, so they might have a shot at fielding a team, too.

16. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I agree, i have no idea my every post end up being about Kwan:drama:. As for Kim, she can always chose compete again, no body is stopping her from competing again. IOC is introducing few team sports, so this is not a surprise. They also bringing Luge team event, a new event more along the lines time trial relay. Bobsleigh and Alpine skiing also tried to have a team event but failed. If i was skater i would be glad that i have ore chance to win a medal.

17. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to the document.

Is that the "Japan" rule? Not sure if they'd still want to enter a Team with only 3 entries. Would they be forced to?

I'm confused. Does this mean that a country that qualified a Team according to the rules but only have one pair (for example) qualified for the Olympics would still be able to send the Team with an extra man, extra lady and extra dance team?

Not only is it forbidden to enter more than 1 skater/team per discipline, but it's not the scores that matter anyway, it's the placements (1st = 10 points, 2nd = 9 points, 3rd = 8 points, etc. and then all points are added). So V/M would very likely fare much better than Reynolds. ;)

18. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure I understand it, if the team is chosen by scores from the previous competitions are they qualifying the skaters who scored, or just a spot for their country? IIRC they said it would be the same skaters as were in the individual event (which seems a shame, expecially if some of the top skaters don't actually want to do the team event.)

I am really confused actually - using GB as an example, if they qualified a team but didn't qualify spots for the individual events (last time we had a lady, pair and 2 in dance but no man) what would happen? Bringing in an extra man and his coaches would mean more rooms are needd in the village, etc.

19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It says they can only have one competitor per discipline, so I guess they would just compete three events and forfeit the spot in men.

Theoretically a country with 3 competitors could qualify above a country with 4 based on the rules posted upthread. Say that in the team event Japan wins ladies and men, places last in dance, and has no pair. That would be 21 points (10 each for the singles and 1 point for the dancers). Then say Czech Republic qualifies a team and places 9th in pairs, 9th in dance, 9th in ladies, and 4th in men. That would be 13 points so they would finish behind Japan.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  20. Domshabfan

No, they are allowed to enter an additional team in the event they have not qualified but the team can compete only in the team event and not in the individual event.

Rules are very clear on this, the team is also allowed to bring an additional team, but they cannot be staying at the village.

21. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

So- a country could have one of thier qualified pair teams skate the short, and another team skate the free? As long as they were identified after the short?

It doesn't make sense to have the team competition first. It would seenm to give unfair advantage/disadvantage to those participating in the team event.

22. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

He has the italian citizenship ;)

23. Domshabfan

So according to the idiotic system ISU has devised a team that wins Short program has a better chance winning the whole thing since number of teams in the Free skate section reduces to 5 teams as supposed to 10 in the short P/D section.

So using the 2011 world championships results.
    countries Ladies Mens I/D Pairs total
    US 8 5 10 5 28
    Russia 9 8 7 8 32
    Japan 10* 9 4 7 30
    Germany 5 4 5 9 23
    Canada 4 10 9 6 29
    China 3 2 3 10 18
    Italy 7 3 6 4 20
    France 6 7 8 1 22
    Great Britain 2 1 2 2 7
    Czech Republic 1 6 1 3 11

Czech had no ladies athlete at the last world championships, and Tran has magically received citizenship to compete for Japan in my list.

So Russia, Japan, Canada, USA and Germany move to the Free section.

Russia 32 9 8 8 9 66
    Japan 30 10 9 6 6 61
    Canada 29 6 10 9 7 61
    USA 28 8 7 10 8 61
    Germany 23 7 6 7 10 53

So Apart from the tie breaker thing coming into play, a skater can make a complete mess in the FD/ FS and still get 6 points by finishing bottom of the pile, say 60 points behind the leader in the section, the difference between the first and last is 4 points. This could still be enough for them to win the title. Whole thing looks like a Short Dance/ program competition. It is tilted towards the results of that section, if an athlete make a mess and finishes last the difference here is 9 points. So for the SP it is all about staking team in between you and your major competitor, and once FS starts some of these teams may disappear altogether.

ISU is inviting trouble with this format, especially since we get the score of these teams and anyone can total the whole segments score displayed and come up an aggregate score of all 8 sections of the team. Then again, when did weightage of both SP and LP become equal in terms of points. Even during the 6.0 era there was difference in weightage of these sectionals. So if a team wins, say ladies section in total points that does not count towards the total score. So final placement in ladies, Mens, Dance and pairs is of little importance.

I think either ISU should allow all the teams to compete in the free dance/ Free skate of the team championships or use cumulative scoring system, count all the sectional scores like did in Japan Open. So add all the SD and SP scores, then find the best 5 teams and then reduce the size of teams to 5 for the LP. Then add the total LP scores to the SP scores.

24. Domshabfan

As long as this team is also qualified to the Olympics games by normal qualification mechanism. A team can make two substitution for the FS/FD, they can change both singles skaters, both couples (Ice dance and pair) or a couple and single's skater.

As for sec on point i think they are getting an additional chance of winning a medal, which is huge. Even though now skating fans are not taking team title with huge importance. However the medal won is still an Olympic medal. Which could make your life is most countries.

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I hate hate hate that this takes place before the individual events.

Just wait for some favorite, or favorites, to skate brilliantly in the team event but then blow it when it comes time for the solo OGM.

The whole team event will either be moved back or completely scrapped when, not if, that happens.

26. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Ditto. If they're going to do it at all, which i'm not a fan of, they should move it back behind the individual events (which these skaters have been preparing for all of their lives!)

27. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the explanation, I think that is good news :)

28. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Actually, the team event will provide skaters with an opportunity to compete on the Olympic ice surface, without the pressure of it being their individual event. These skaters could have the advantage, to be honest!

29. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I wish that the skaters in this event could not compete in other divisions (IE; Patrick Chan would not enter the team event because he'd be in the singles event, Canada would send a different male skater to represent them in the team event). This would make it so that countries with deeper fields of skaters get rewarded more and hopefully make it so that countries like Japan spend more time developing dance and pairs skaters. I also feel that this would allow more skaters to become involved and become a part of the Olympic experience.

30. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

So, the 4th ranked Russian pair or the 4th ranked Japanese male would be in the team event? So, the 4th ranked Russian pair can win a gold medal, but not Kavaguti/Smirnov? Fantastic! What a fun event!

No pressure? Someone like Phaneuf or Czisny (assuming they make the team) would have a lot more pressure in the team event than the individual event.