Teacher who wore same outfit for 40 years

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I was so certain this would be about my high school math teacher, but then he did own three shirts and not just one.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Man's got a sense of humor, as does his wife. :lol:

4. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm impressed that the clothes fit him for 40 years!

5. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Me too! It's been less than 30 years since I started teaching, and I sure couldn't fit into anything from back then! Neither could my husband! LOL!

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Also demonstrates the permanancy of polyester. You can't kill the little suckers. That shirt and vest will still be in prime condidtion in another 40 years. Or 140.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I was so certain this would be my high school history teacher. She was a wonderful teacher, but I know when she was my teacher in the mid-90's she had a lot of dresses and skirts that were from the 70's. :rofl:

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

When I read the thread title, I was afraid that the teacher had worn the same outfit EVERY DAY for 40 years! :eek: :scream:

There is no way on earth that I could fit into my "mod" mini-dresses from way back when ... and that is a very good thing for the rest of the seeing world. :lol:

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love some of the captions.

:rofl:

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I certainly hope he washed the shirt during that time. :lol:

11. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see the changes in eyeglass fashion highlighted when the outfit is held constant. There was a time when frame sizes were HUGE. Now the fashion is to have glasses be near-invisible.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

He has obviously gained weight through the years, so I'm sure the shirt has been altered to accommodate accordingly. The sweater vest? That thing is one size fit all, so no alteration required :)

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:lol: How did that shirt and vest even stay in one piece for 40 years! I have some old T-shirts I keep to just lounge around the house in. I bought them in about 1995 and they are practically shredded now .... (but man are they comfy!). :lol:

14. Zemgirl

I have some "wear around the house" t-shirts and shorts from the 1990s (and an old t-shirt of my dad's from the 1980s) and while I wouldn't wear any of them outside, they are in pretty decent shape. I imagine that after the first couple of years the set just hung in his closet and was only cleaned and worn in the photos, so it doesn't surprise me. That it still fit is impressive, though.

15. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

AW, are you sure it is not photoshopped? I cannot believe he still wear them over the 40 years. He hardly changed his glasses too and his glasses in his latest pix lookedthe same as the first one! I am not convinced this is real.:)

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Same here! :lol: :)

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Love this story!

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well go and find the evidence that it isn't. Plenty of websites will tell you what is real or not.

19. Zemgirl

The story linked in the first post was based on this article from the Dallas Morning News. Mr. Irby said that he only put the shirt and vest on for school pictures in later years, and they will now be retired to the back of the closet ;)

The first and last pair of glasses aren't all that alike, BTW.

20. znachki

znachki Active Member

I had a teacher in college who wore the same outfit - slacks, jacket and shirt - for an entire quarter. If I recall, I saw him in the library the next quarter wearing it as well. He may have continued to wear it, but I wasn't there any longer.

If you look closely at the later pictures, I think you'll se that he wasn't buttoning the shirt. The v-neck of the sweater kind of hides it, but that's what was happening. Given that he was only wearing it for picture day, he probably wore it just for the picture itself and then changed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  21. mkats

mkats New Member

We had a young teacher in high school who wore the exact same shirt and pants every single day. At one point someone asked him about it and he said that those were the only things he liked to wear, so he bought five sets of the exact same thing. :lol:

On one of the homecoming event days, a whole bunch of guys dressed up as him - I think I still have the photo somewhere, of a whole bunch of lookalikes, and then the real guy, cheering with us in the stands :)