TCM Summer under the Stars lineup

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Wyliefan, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

As PeterG said in the movies thread, people seem to like threads devoted to TCM, so I'm setting up a new one for next month's Summer under the Stars. :) Lineup is here: http://summer.tcm.com/files/SUTSschedule_2013.pdf

As I've really been getting into British films lately, I'm thrilled about Alec Guinness, Maggie Smith, and Rex Harrison! Bummed about no Gene Kelly or Jimmy Stewart, though. They're two of my perennial favorites, and their movie marathons are always good, when they get them.

2. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

August 3! :cheer: :biggrinbo :fan21:

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Should I feel shame for never having heard of Ramon Novarro, Ann Blyth, Glenda Farrell and Jeanne Crain? And I know the name Wallace Beery, but can't name one of his movies without looking at the list. :cheer2: for a Hattie McDaniel day as I'm unaware of any movie she was in other than Gone With The Wind. But unfortunately I don't get TCM for free anymore, so I will have to live through the rest of you to know more about the movies I'll be missing come August! :)

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i know i'm disgusted by you right now

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

PeterG! How have you not seen Mildred Pierce?? Ann Blyth rocks in it!

I can watch The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on repeat. I adore that movie so much. Pamela Franklin just blows me away in it (and Ms. Smith, of course!)

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What a fun lineup - interesting to see the obvious movies, but lots of others that likely haven't not been widely seen since they were first released - printing off the list!

PeterG, my favourite Jeanne Crain movie is State Fair - the second and best version from 1945 - she's fabulous in it (although her singing voice is Louanne Hogan).

7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Me too.
    "Leave Her to Heaven" - movie with Jeanne Crain and Gene Tierney. Great flick!

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I saw that a long time ago, so I googled her: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&...1399.1j9.10.0....0...1ac.1.19.img.vZiqK4Czf8M

Oh yeah, I remember her now! :lol: Haven't seen anything else she was in though (I think).

My local library doesn't have this movie, but I've got about ten other library systems to choose from, I'm sure one of them will have it. :)

now you know how i feel when you chew your toenails in public

And you...you're not invisible, you know. We see you and what you're doing. What, are Kleenex's THAT expensive??

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If I may gush :) I'm no fan of musicals but happened to catch State Fair (1945) on TCM a few years back when I was on my own working in another city and I guess I got all mushy about it, and also loved the innocence in the whole thing while I was deep into some heavy stuff at work. I ended up buying the DVD, and the soundtrack (Rogers and Hammerstein!), and hunted down the original novel on which it was based. Then, call me totally crazy, I talked my husband into attending the Iowa State Fair, and as part of the trip we drove the route that the Frake family takes to the fair. We ended up having a great time (thank you indulgent husband!), and every now any then I still put on the movie or the soundtrack when I need a little escape from modern life.

Hope you manage to find a copy and that you enjoy it. :)

10. my little pony

you know how sensitive i am about not having feet

11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I always love SUTS. It's nice that they are not just putting out the same movies each time.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

you gnawed more than the toenails? how far did you go?

13. my little pony

they were made into jello

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this. Friends are always suprised I never use netflix. But with TCM in Feb, and my carrier provides 2 free HBO weekends every year (Nov and Jun) - I record tons of movies and takes months to see them all (great that TCM is not HD, so can record 40 or more movies).. I still have a couple movies from TCM this past Feb to watch.

15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

(((MLP's hooves))) :(

16. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't include Esther Williams in this summer's line up.

17. duane

duane New Member

Jeanne Crain also played the title role in Pinky, playing a light-skinned black woman passing for white!! The movie is good, but the idea that Jeanne Crain is a black woman is hilarious!!

18. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I love Mary Boland; she's just about my favorite part of The Women, and that's something in that cast. I haven't seen very many of the ones on her list.

I'm glad to see one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, Imitation of Life, is included for Lana Turner.

19. duane

duane New Member

Last night I watched Letter From An Unknown Woman (1948), starring Joan Fontaine and Louis Jordan. I usually don't get into love stories, but this movie was AWESOME!! If you've never seen this movie, put it on your must-see list (especially if you like love stories).

20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

"Oh, poor creatures. They've lost their equilibrium because they've lost their faith in love. Oh l'amour, l'amour."

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.