TBA Spots at Skate America

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mysticchic, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Okay who thinks whom will get the TBA spots in Dance, and other discipline? Any guesses?

2. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The skaters who earn them throughout the summer competitions...

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Correct, but I think those with the edge right now are -

Men - Perhaps Messing will get this Sr. opportunity if he performs really well this Summer, but Mahbanoozadeh will probably get it.

Ladies - Bulanhagui. Because I think Siraj is on the JGP(?), Gilles is basically starting over from the bottom, and Forte seems off the radar. Plus, I think the top 6 US ladies all have 2 spots on the SGP this season anyway.

Pairs - Denney/Coughlin: I think the TBD here is based on the USFSA waiting and seeing if they can qualify at a prior competition. Otherwise, Castelli/Shnapir would get a 2d GP assignment. I'm not sure Donlan/Speroff would get it.

Ice Dance - I think TBDs are based on Chock/Bates qualifying w/ a minimum score, and Kriegenkrarut/Giuletti-Schmitt getting a 2d GP assignment

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'll be seriously annoyed if Gilles gets any international assignment this fall. She needs to show that she's regained her head for competition before they send her out again.

I'd be surprised if Denney/Coughlin don't achieve the minimum score in time, and then they're the logical ones to slot it. Castelli/Shnapir are such weak SBS jumpers, though I love her presentation skills.

5. sk8ers

sk8ers New Member

D/C were monitored at Broadmoor Open so I anticipate they will be getting something....

6. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Michelle Kwan.

7. olympic

I think Castelli/Brubaker would be a hot team. She's only around 5-0 [I think]

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

In dance, besides Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt [S5] and Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely [J1, JW3] both of whom already have 1 GP, Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello [S6] and Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus [J3] could be considered as both of these teams were eligible to be selected initially for a Senior GP but did not receive one.

Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan [S7] (have not competed internationally together yet), Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (new), and any other new teams who are placed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) would have to be monitored before being assigned to compete at Nebelhorn Trophy or Finlandia Trophy to achieve the minimum GP score before Skate America.

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I agree with this, but that said...I think she may be the frontrunner for that last TBA ladies spot at SA.

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Agreed, especially since they were willing to give the other spot to Zhang this far in advance, who honestly didn't skate much better than Gilles all last season. I think the ladies spot will go to Cesario, Gong, or Baga (if it's not Gilles) - they all could do JGP again but Samantha and Kristeine are getting old for it and Kiri may not want to do a 3rd season on the JGP.

11. icellist

icellist Member

i really hope kristiene gong gets the last spot, plus it's not that far for her.

rooting for armin for the men's spot

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I hope that the USFSA will give first priority to skaters who were eligible to receive an assignment but did not.

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Men: Armin
    Ladies: I think it'll be Joelle Forte or Mel B
    Pairs: I really want it to be D/L or D/S
    Dance: In my dream world, L/C and K/G-S

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Who are D/L in pairs?

15. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

D/L almost certainly refers to Lindsay Davis/Themistocles Leftheris, who finished in seventh place in their debut at nationals and who, of course, have yet to compete internationally. I happen to agree. I think they would be a good choice for the last Skate America spot.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Davis/Leftheris' international debut was at last fall's Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, where they placed 4th (to Vise/Baldwin's 2nd).

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I wish Bulanghui got that SA spot instead of Zhang.

Yes, Zhang placed higher at Nationals but she's clearly on a downward slope and has had many chances already.

Time to give somebody else an opportunity.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Actually, Bulanhagui placed 10th to Zhang's 12th at Nationals. I think Melissa still has a chance for the last TBA, along with Joelle Forte (9th).

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh, silly me! Thanks for that correction.

In that case, I really cannot understand why Bulanghui or Forte weren't selected ahead of Zhang.

20. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Maybe reputation (from 4 years ago). Considering Zhang has had the most unfortunate and unlikely "growth spurt" in skating, I don't mind her getting getting a (last) chance.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me of who D/L are. I can't believe I forgot about them, I think they have great potential. :)

22. NMURA

NMURA Member

The 10th or 12th at nationals don't make much difference. Usually a skater in this position won't be given a spot. Nagasu seems to be treated as a second seed. Therefore they couldn't invite both Czisny and Nagasu to SA. Flatt is already disfavored. They could invite one of Gao, Zawadzki and Wagner but Caroline Zhang was chosen somehow. Probably because she lives in LA area (which means cheap to invite) and her name still can attract some spectators. I guess the ladies' TBD goes to somebody like Kiri Baga. They can save some JGP spots for more "promising" skaters.

23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Maybe USFS is counting on a local fan base to help boost ticket sales.

24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Really. Wow.

That just shows how far Zhang has fallen...

But anyway, when you compare the two- Zhang has FAR more international experience (even though neither have been to worlds) and recognition. She has competed against the best. I guess when it comes down to it, of the second-tier skaters in the US, Zhang is the most recognizable face and from a business standpoint, that's who you want at SA.

There's still an open spot, anyway. I think it could go to Gilles, because again, even though she has underperformed lately, she's more recognizable than the rest due to her GP experience. (Disclaimer: I hope someone else gets a chance.)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I'm hoping Alexe Gilles' change to Sato/Dungjen will reinvigorate her and her skating even if it takes a while to adjust to her new situation. I believe she will start her competition season at Skate Detroit later this month.

ETA: I was rather surprised to see a Ladies TBA at Skate America, though. Zhang would have made more sense to me as the 3rd host pick, with the 2nd spot going to maybe Zawadzki, Gao or Wagner (now a Cali girl herself).

27. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

That makes sense from a business standpoint. What's so frustrating as a fan of Melissa is that she has, over the last 2 years, kept pace with Caroline at Nationals and skated just as well internationally, and medaled here and there- but has not gotten the GP assignments that Caroline has. In 2010 she ended up as 1st alternate for 4CC, and then she got a bronze at Nebelhorn but Caroline and Alexe Gilles were given Skate America 2010 along with Rachael. Which was acceptable since Caroline was the reigning 4cc bronze medalist and finished 11th at Nationals and Alexe had finished 8th at Nationals. But in 2011 Nationals went this way:

7 Vanessa Lam All Year FSC 162.91 6 7
    8 Yasmin Siraj SC of Boston 152.75 8 8
    9 Joelle Forte SC of New York 149.28 12 9
    10 Melissa Bulanhagui University of Delaware FSC 144.53 15 11
    11 Kristiene Gong All Year FSC 143.30 17 10
    12 Caroline Zhang All Year FSC 140.95 10 12
    13 Kelsey Traunero SC of Wilmington 128.30 18 13
    14 Alexe Gilles Broadmoor SC 123.75 11 16

So while I have nothing against Caroline and appreciate the improvements she's been making, I don't think it was cool of the USFS to hand her an automatic assignment ahead of 5 skaters who beat her at Nationals, before any of the major summer comps- make her earn it this time! And her most recent summer comp was not a successful outing, but its early season so hopefully things improve for her later.....

Granted some of these ladies will end up on JGP, but man, how frustrating for the ones who have aged out to continually get passed over for low-achieving USFS darlings. If Caroline skates great over the summer and the others don't, then fine. But what's done is done. I just hope the TBA spot is used wisely and based on actual results...

28. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Oh, yes. Thanks for reminding me. I even watched the competition; so I have no excuse for forgetting.

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I agree. It's time to stop wasting a spot for someone like Caroline Zhang who is sliding further down the standings every year now. Same with Alexe Gillies.

30. olympic

Forgot about Vanessa Lam! Is she staying on the JGP circuit this year? Otherwise, she'd be an excellent choice for that TBD spot