Taxi star Jeff Conaway has passed away (UPDATE 5/27)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, May 19, 2011.

1. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110519...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawN0YXhpc3RhcmplZmY-

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm surprised.

He was a total mess on Celebrity Rehab, and I don't think he ever had any real intention of getting sober.

Cryin' ass shame, though. I remember when he was on Taxi (I was 10 :lol: ) and thought he was much cuter than Tony Danza :shuffle: .

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Oh dear. I loved him as Zack Allen on "Babylon 5." I wish one of my radio stations around here carried Jerry Doyle's show (he played Michael Garibaldi); I bet he has some comments on it.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Whenever I see him in Grease, it always makes me a bit sad... :(

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    This!

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

What a surprise. Well if he passes away hopefully he'll finally be at peace. He will be a cautionary tale for those who remain. Some legacy.

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Yes, let's all kick him while he's down. Obviously you don't feel the same as John Donne re any man's death diminieshes me but don't actively look forward to it. That's kind of icky.

I also loved him on Taxi.

8. sodapop

sodapop New Member

I watched him on Celebrity Rehab and it was upsetting to see the state he was in. So sad, he's incredibly talented.

9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

He was my favourite character on Taxi. So much talent. It is very sad.

10. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I'll be praying for him. I, too, loved him on Taxi and grew up watching the reruns.

-Aslan's Girl

11. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

What a waste...I'm so sorry! He was a beautiful, beautiful man. I hosted him once for a "Grease" promotion while I was special events director for a major department store chain. I have a photo of him and myself together, and believe me, I'm not bad looking, but he was the prettier of the two of us!

God bless him. I hope he recovers.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  12. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Mmm-hmmmm! Hate to hear about this, and I hope he recovers.

13. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I heard on the radio that he now has pneumonia. I'm assuming he suffered the OD, probably vomited when "down", and aspirated. It's not an uncommon occurrence when someone goes down unresponsive at home for any reason. It doesn't sound good, and it's a shame. Count me as another who liked him on Taxi reruns.

14. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

Oh no, I loved him on Babylon 5 too. More than one cast member has died too soon. I hope he can pull through, but if nothing changes...

15. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

So sad. They don't sound very hopeful that he will live.

16. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I watched Taxi every week growing up, but my hard drive is only so big and kind of antique, and I totally don't remember him on that show.

I do remember watching him on Celebrity Rehab (my favorite "I'm doing chores" show of choice because I don't really need to watch every moment). Total train wreck and I felt bad for him. People are very judgemental, but I think all of us have a vice, whether it's food, cigs, booze, drugs, watching sports 24/7, reading celeb gossip too much, you get my drift. I hope he gets better, but it sounds bad.

Was he on the Apprentice as well? I remember flipping channels and seeing a bunch of people on there over the years who had been on Dr. Drew's show. Not the best choice of show to be on when you're an addict (recovered or still using) or have self-esteem issues. I love reality TV, but I don't think it's for everyone (participant-wise).

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Holley, thanks for sharing.
    I'm glad to know,
    Your experience balances much of what we've heard about him recently.

18. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Correct, but on the show he was belligerent and even physically threatening to anyone who tried to help him, for example, he went nuts on anyone who pointed out that he smuggled in drugs to rehab. He yelled that he didn't bring in the drugs, his pants did. As if his pants went walking around outside at night, bought drugs, and quietly returned next to Jeff's bed. Bad, bad pants!

He also repeatedly said that he should have had the lead role in the movie Grease. Sheee-yeah.

19. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I think Conaway did have the lead of Danny Zuko on stage. But as John Travolta was by then big box office following Saturday Night Fever, it was logical that Travolta would get Zuko. At least Conaway got the role of Kenickie.
    I saw his stint on drug rehab. Wasn't he in such bad condition that he was in a wheelchair? And then had to leave because he suffered seizures or something like that? It was horrible, and he didn't seem to care that he was (and already showed evidence of) destroying himself.
    A very sad situation, and yeah, pretty sure this pneumonia is aspiration pneumonia while he was down. He could die, but then again, it's pretty hard to die these days in the hospital. Most of the time addicts die while drugging and are DOA to the hospital.
    I wish him and his family well.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Some reports are saying that he never overdosed and was only ever admitted because of pneumonia. Dr. Drew confirmed this himself and he isn't one to try and cover up abuse. If anything, he will speculate about abuse with very little proof. He says the press started the rumor and it was easily believable so no one checked it out. What do you believe?

21. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I believe that anyone could put a spin on anything. However, an overdose could cause a fall, a decreased level of consciousness, whatever (supposedly he was found after being on the floor for "8-10 hours" although how they know that....) When down like that, your safety reflexes like gag and such are not as effective, and if you vomit, you can easily aspirate into your lungs. So did he OD, and go in with aspiration pneumonia? Or did he have nasty pneumonia, which took him down at home? Hard to tell, and although his doctors may know the truth (they can usually tell the difference between community-acquired pneumonia and an aspiration based on the bacteria involved), kudos to them if they don't choose to share what should be protected health information.

22. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Jeff and his girlfriend aren't worth Drew's time anymore, especially with the most recent cast of Celebrity Rehab providing enough news to keep Drew in the public eye as he so desperately craves.

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Drew went to visit him in the hospital so I don't understand this statement.

24. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

Not surprising, but very sad. I will keep him in my prayers.

25. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

26. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware he had substance abuse problems. Very sorry to hear of his poor prognosis. :(

27. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

If you read the link in taf2002's post above, you will learn that his prognosis seems much brighter than originally stated, when it was apparently falsely reported that he had over-dosed. It's bad enough that someone is seriously ill, but to have people saying that it was a drug overdose when it wasn't adds another layer of :( to it all.

28. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Apparently though, if the CNN article is accurate -- and who knows if it is -- the drug situation contributed to his late diagnosis and the seriousness of the condition:

"Conaway has had a long history of drug abuse, which a source told CNN apparently prevented him from realizing he was sick until he lapsed into unconsciousness."

OK, now that I've re-read that quote, it doesn't even seem to make any sense! LOL! I mean, how can someone realize they're sick when they've lapsed into unconsciousness!!

Anyway, I do hope he recovers and starts taking care of himself.

O-

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  29. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

While it sounds a little weird, it can in fact be true. You are sick, you don't realize it, you become unconscious - returning to a conscious state soon afterward. Then you realize that something is really wrong.

30. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good