Tattoos Question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bonita, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I am really fascinated by tattoos. But being needle and pain-phobic, I have a general question.

Are there some body parts that are less painful (i.e., feet, lower back) vs. more painful areas? I know with my ears, #1 hurt a little, #2 hurt somewhat and #3 made me pass out (I still want #4 but am phobic).

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Basically, the more fatty the area, the more skin over the bone of the area, the less pain. Mine are all located on lower leg area. The one in the front of the lower leg (over the actual shin) hurt like a mutha......but not as bad as the one on the lower back of the leg, that went right across the Achilles tendon. Mine wrap the whole perimeter of the leg, and the ones to inner and outer areas (more fatty/skin covering) were much less painful. Also, of course, the smaller and less detailed, the less pain.

I was told by this juvenile tool that "the older you are, the more they hurt"; I think because I have a tattoo about as old as he is! ;) Hoping he was kidding

I have a friend who got one across the dorsal (upper) aspect of her foot, and she said that was the worst of all the ones she got, due to the thin skin covering bone area.

3. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Oh, so I guess I should get one on my stomach, LOL. The only fatty area of my body....

4. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I have two on my right shoulder and the one that goes on to the bone, hurt pretty bad. The other kind of felt like someone poking a sun burn. The one that goes on my left shoulder and 1/4 down the arm hurt in some places really bad and not at all in others.

I've heard that feet are the worst I had a friend get one on her wrist and she said that hurt really bad as well.

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I have one that goes from my shoulder down to mid forearm. The boney bits hurt lots. Also bits like the inside fleshy bit of the arm hurt a bit. None of the pain is that bad, but you know you can get Dr. Numb cream which completely numbs the skin for 2 to 4 hurs. This cream is also good for waxing bit's that are... sensitive. :shuffle:
    I also have one on my ankle, and as I have chicken (boney) ankles it was rather painful. Because it was my first though I think I was too excited to mind the pain. Oh yeah, I was drunk too so that may have helped.

6. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I have stars on my ankle that curve up a bit towards the front of the ankle - that one hurt but wasn't unbearable. My wrist one didn't hurt at all, even though it's a star around the bone at the end of the ulna. My first one didn't hurt hardly at all - it's on the front of my shoulder but over a bit more - sort of right underneath my bra strap.

The thing about tattoos is that it's not like they're sitting there with a needle stuck in you like if you were getting a blood draw. The needles are constantly moving, and often feel like gentle scratching. You might be surprised at the lack of pain in some respects - I know I was.

7. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

Really? :eek: I have one on my right wrist (a bracelet going all around) and the part on the inside of my wrist (where you see all the veins and the skin is really thin) hurt A LOT - in fact I have 2 stars around that area but only the one towards the side of the wrist is shaded, the one right in the middle is not (much less work!). On the sides and top of the wrist it didn't really hurt at all, it was a weird feeling but really manageable. And I'm a total needlephobic... don't know why this didn't really scare me! Possibly because you don't even really perceive the "needle"... it moves soo fast it seemed like a larger point scratching my skin.

I have another one on my back - right in the middle of the shoulders, not too close to the neck and that didn't hurt... it was kind of a weird feeling, mainly. I think I was waaaaaaaay too nervous for this one, because at some point I had to ask the tattoo guy to stop because I felt a little light-headed and close to fainting... but it was all my nerves, not the pain. After a few calm breaths and a glass of water I relaxed and he did all the rest of the tattoo with me perfectly at ease and in no pain at all!

8. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I have an ankle tattoo, and although that's supposed to be one of the more painful spots to get one, mine didn't bother me all that much. And I'm generally a big wuss about pain. It did start to smart more as time went on, but it was nothing unbearable.

9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I got one on my right shoulderblade. It's about 4 or 5 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide(celtic dragon that I helped design), so fairly sizable. It didn't bother me much at all. Pain has never seemed to bother me as much as it does some people though. I've always heard the back isn't a bad place to get them. Given that I always want them where I can keep them covered when need be, I probably won't ever get one in an extremely painful place to start with.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Mine is on the side of my shoulder (technically upper arm I guess). Barely felt it at all -- I've had cat scratches that hurt worse. The bigger problem was that it itched for a couple of days later, but nothing unbearable.

For me the issue of where to place the tatt was strategic, but not to do with pain. I wanted it on a body part that wouldn't change with weight gain/loss or, um, gravity over time (i.e., not on the boob, butt, stomach, or thigh), and also somewhere that I could easily choose when to have it displayed or not. Tattoos are of course far more common now, but some people will still judge women with tattoos, and there are times when I just can't be bothered with the hassle.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I've heard you should never get one on your ribcage, those apparently are the worst.

I have one around my belly button and it hurt pretty badly and the guy warned me it would. That is a fatty area so I am not sure why but he said it is just a more sensitive area. I guess you aren't exactly used to be poked and prodded in your belly button very much so maybe the skin is more sensitive.

12. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

It's on the outside of my wrist, so it didn't go onto the inside. I do imagine that hurts (yet it's where I'd love to get one at some point.)

13. alhrayth

Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

15. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

My friend can attest to that. She's a petite girl (<100 lbs, 4'11"), and said getting ten butterflies on her rib cage hurt worse than giving birth :eek:

I heard deltoid, and chest are the easiest, and rib/elbow/wrist/ankle/any bony protrusion were the worst.

16. alhrayth

Ohhhh I love them both! The stars are so simple and perfect, I love the design and the composition. And the musical one is gorgeous, great design and I love the shading!

I found a pic of my other one too: it's my kitty-guardian angel (I drew this inspired by a cat of mine who had recently passed away)

the tat and the drawing I brought to the artist to reproduce

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I don't think I'd ever get one there for fear of breathing at the wrong moment and screwing up the design.

18. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I was too. My tattoo is on the top of my foot and I'd say that the pain was comparable to getting my legs waxed for the most part. There were certain spots though that hurt a lot more but it didn't last very long. My next tattoo is going to be on my ribcage. That might hurt...

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

SWEET! I have a lightning bolt on my ankle. It didn't hurt much (I may have had a few cocktails :rockstar:. What hurt was when it scabbed over when healing. I hate that part!

20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I got my first about a year and a half ago, a rose Yin Yang on the back of my left shoulder (the pic in the link was actually taken by the artist right before he bandaged me up). The bottom didn't hurt a bit, but the top part hurt a lot. My own description of the pain was that it felt like being carved with a red-hot knife.

What was really wierd was seeing all the red paper towels in the garbage and thinking is that just ink or is it blood?

Bonita - one thing my artist did before actually starting to tattoo me was to do a "test line" on my skin with no ink in the needle, so I could see what it feels like. If you look at the pic in my link, you can actually see the line above the topmost leaf and to the right of the curly stem at the very top of the design.

I was very apprehensive, too, when I went to get mine. I did do a lot of reading up on the subject - this link should be helpful to you because it was for me - but there is that "oh shit, I can't believe I'm going to do this" moment when you're getting ready and sitting there getting stenciled. I know my nerves were showing because at one point the artist says to me you're sure you want to do this? I was, and I have no regrets about it.

When/if I get another one, I'm going to go back to this same artist. This tat wasn't custom, but if a client wants a custom design, he will draw it up for them at no charge.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  21. walei

walei Well-Known Member

For me the worse part of getting a tattoo was the itch, I was told not to put any ointments on it because it could wash the colours out and never scratch it as bleeding would also take out the colours. Only thing I could do was tough it out :D

However as I always tell people who ask, if you really want one, you can take the pain.

22. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I love your kitty tat! It's really a great design.

My stars are my "kids" - my 5 nieces and 1 nephew. I have no kids of my own, so they're my kids. I got that tattoo in L.A. last year, and one of my nieces was with me - she got a star on the top of her foot. The musical tattoo was a design I found online, but the artist and I changed it up a bit, including the shading which was his design. I have several more planned (at least 4 more.) :)

Very, very pretty! :)

23. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

24. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

25. Ozzisk8tr

26. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

That link isn't working for me. Are your photos private?

27. Ozzisk8tr

Sorry, try now.

28. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Everyone's tats are so neat! This is mine.

Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Ozzisk8tr

Love it!

30. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yep, I found a picture of a dragon that had it's tail wrapped up around it, and then found a more celtic dragon, and added in the celtic knot to the tail, then the tattoo artist took that and cleaned it up a bit, and voila. It was to commemorate my first trip out of the country to Scotland :)