Target, Walmart or KMart?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by OrioleBeagle, Jan 1, 2012.

1. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Which store do you prefer?
  2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Target. In our area, they pay their workers better and seem to have a better staff. YMMV.
  3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Target by far. Better selection and better quality, IMO.
  4. hirshey girl

hirshey girl New Member

No contest for me: Target. Better selection, much nicer staff and the store layout is really easy to navigate. Plus, I like supporting a company who actually treats their staff well.
  5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Target, hands down. Though our one K-Mart isn't terrible.

I don't go to Wal-Mart.
  6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Between Target and Walmart, Target is a much nicer store to shop.

The nearest K-Mart is over an hour away, so I'm not including them in my comparison.
  8. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

No K-Mart, Target hasn't yet arrived in Alberta, so I guess it's Walmart.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Wal-Mart. Target has less selection at higher prices and pretends to be something it's not, ie mid-range when it's just a discount store (and runs the most IRRITATING ADS EVER CREATED with Target Lady) and K-Mart is trying to be Wal-Mart without the selection. Target always seems dark and kind of disordered, too.

Of course for groceries Meijer is generally better but if you're outside the midwest they're not an option usually.
  10. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

Target by far. Walmart in my area is not a nice store.

Carol
  11. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Target. I don't go to Wal Mart either.
  12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Target for household/decor items

Kmart for clothes

Walmart for food

I like Shopko, too. :)
  13. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Our KMart closed, and I refuse to go to Walmart, so it is Target (when I can't avoid it. I find that some of the higher class thrift stores have nicer clothes at lower prices than all of these three stores).
  14. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I love Meijer, they are actually my preference.

I agree with nubka regarding KMart for clothes. I do like the Wal-Mart neighborhood market for some food. I almost never go to Target. It's in the same shopping center as Meijer, so I'd rather go to Meijer.
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I hardly ever go to a K-Mart, even though it is the closest of those stores to me (although none are very far away). I prefer Target for clothes and most household needs. I generally only go to Wally-World when I need a prescription refilled, and then I might hit their grocery area as well (though it is 50/50 as to whether the item I want is actually cheaper than my local grocery stores).
  17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Even if Target just didn't feel somehow more downmarket than the Dollar Store (probably from trying too hard-seriously, if I want to buy "designer" clothes, I'm not buying them from your store, Tarjay, and if I want cheap clothes, I can get the same quality for less at Wal-Mart) the Target Lady commercials would have killed it for me. If I thought there were any actual chance of encountering the Target Lady, not only would I not shop there I wouldn't come within three hundred yards of a Target...
  18. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I normally shop at Walmart, but that's because the nearest Target is 100 miles away. But whenever we go to the city with the Target, I always make a point to go there. I usually buy clothes & some household stuff. Our Walmart is 2 years old, so it's nice, open & bright. But I usually won't buy clothing there as a lot of it is a little too Miley Cyrus for me (skinny jeans & distressed printed tees).

We have a Kmart, too, but the store is dark & dingy, the prices are usually higher than Walmart, but with less selection, and the buyer for our Kmart must be an old man, because the clothing selection is geared more for older people.
  19. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Walmart sucks. Almost everything in walmart is made in China. Even though I am originally from Japan, I live in the US so I try to buy made in USA products only if I can.
  20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

Walmart just because they're more of them and it's closer than the nearest Target. Plus, IA with danceronice about Target. I've often felt that Target was overpriced for the items they sell. Besides clothes (barely), I really don't think that Target sells better quality items that Walmart. They both sell a lot of cheap items but Target often presents itself as not selling cheap items.

I like Meijer too but all of the Meijer stores are a bit far from my home so I rarely shop there.
  21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Target, they keep the stores cleaner and I find they have the best prices.
  22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My niece has an adorable Rodarte sundress from Target. We have one bedroom with vintage French furniture and Rachell Ashwell's shabby chic bedding from Target. I usually get a good prices the Calphalon cookware that I like from Target. We get our fresh produce and meat from a local grocer but Walmart usually has lower prices on the rest of the groceries. Target is a pleasure. Walmart is a chore but a necessity.

Oh and as a Christmas fiend I find that some years (not so much this year) Target has fun, beautiful and clever design when it comes to packaging, cards etc...Kmart used to have this when they had Martha but now the Stewart line is at Lowe's and not well conceived at all imho.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  23. duane

duane New Member

Target. I too refuse to go to Walmart.
  24. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I find that Walmarts vary quite a bit, some are clean and nice while others are messy and dirty. Target is more consistently good.
  25. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Target. I wouldn't shop in Walmart if it were the last store on the planet. I detest their business practices. They treat their employees horribly and their model to put small local business and other larger retailers out of business is reprehensible.
  26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I shop at both Walmart and Target since one will have something that the other doesn't. I would prefer to stay with Target though, since it has a cleaner display and arrangement of its merchandises. It's just more pleasing to walk through than Walmart. I don't get the layout of Walmart at all; It looks like a bunch of stuffs thrown together. Wasn't there a joke a few years back that Walmart is where the "ugly" people shop? :lol: Why doesn't it just copy Target's layout? I was at the shopping mall today and saw that Microsoft now has it's own store. Well it looks almost like an exact copy of the Apple store, LOL. The Microsoft color scheme is different, but it has the same open floor plan and tables displaying merchandises as Apple's.

Kmart is worst than Walmart :scream:

Speaking of low discount stores in general, I heard that Sears will be closing a couple of its stores. I was in one during Christmas and saw the Kadarshian's clothings were on sale for up to 50% off. Yikes. I don't think the KK brand is doing that well. I can't imagine Sears shoppers would buy the burstiers and animal prints that were on displayed. The materials also seem to be of the cheap kind. What was Sears thinking going into business with them?
  27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

orbitz I think Sears should ditch their soft lines and stick with what they are good at or focus on what they should be good at-- Craftsman tools, appliance (AND appliance repair), and a few other departments like mower/garden, misc hardware. Honestly does anyone say they are excited to shop at Sears for jewelry, clothing, shoes or cosmetics?
  28. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Target, no question. Most of the Walmart stores around here are dirty and disgusting, and it seems like a lot of Kmart stores are beginning to disappear.
  29. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Target for some things.

Walmart for food because they tend to have a larger selection - I find the newer stores kept clean, but once another store moves in, the previous one becomes less clean, never below standards though

I prefer Kroger's for groceries, but they often are priced much higher than Walmart and they do not always carry some of the items I purchase (like fruit on the go packages in 6 or 12 - usually $6.48 for the 12 pack)). Kroger sell the single, over priced food to go items for toddlers usually 1.80 - 2.12 per package. PER individual package

Only K-Mart that I know of in the area iis 20 -25 miles away from my house. I find their stuff substandard and those stores dirty.

If I buy clothing at Target and WalMart it generally infant clothing that they will outgrow before the seams fall apart. Occasionally, I find a cute clothing item at Target for myself, but make sure that it is something that I would wear at home when the seams go bad.

I know people have ethical issues with WalMart and their employee treatments. But when there is no other competitive grocery store in the area or one that sells what I want, then I feel economically I need to suck it up and go into them.
  30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I love Target. I live 2 miles from one and it is across from where I get a commuter bus, and now that they added groceries, it is super convenient. I have always found Target's cleaner/nicer than WalMart. There was a pretty nice KMart where I lived several years ago, but that is the only nice one around that I know about.

I am in CT - where is Meijer - have not heard of it.
  31. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Target most of the time but sometimes Walmart just can't be beat for prices, plus Walmart has more crafting items. Both hubby and I would rather go to Target though because they tend to be in better order and less crowded than Walmart. There's a Kmart about 20 minutes away from me but the selection is dismal.
  32. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

^This.

Currently, none of these stores are less than 20 miles from us. WalMart is opening here in a few months, though, and I'm actually glad. Living in a town with only one full service grocery store means high grocery prices. WalMart = competition and I expect the current grocery store's prices will be going down to that chain's pricing in the neighboring metro area which we are not getting right now. We get the sales, but regular prices are higher because they can be. I also suspect that the local Walgreen's will begin paying attention to stocking their store (they are constantly out of stock of everything half the time) when WalMart is open.
  33. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

None of them if I can help it.

Walmart offends me in many ways. So, I will pay a bit more to not support them.

Target bores me. I find their clothing to be cheap and the stock to be hit or miss. And the food section isn't that nice.

K-Mart is the black hole, 70's time warp store in my area. Ugly and outdated with surly staff.

I have enough local stores that I can do without all 3 of these places. And I love to shop online too. :)
  34. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

This is exactly why I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart unless there is absolutely no other choice (which is usually when traveling in the south).

Meijer is a western Michigan-based store, and I believe that they are in most if not all of the Great Lakes states. They are far superior to Wal-Mart, and I prefer them to Target, although I don't mind Target at all. I also shop at K-Mart for some things, mainly because they are the closest store of this type to the rink I normally skate at.
  35. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I wish for you that there never comes a day when you do not have "a bit more". I used to say the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't have that "bit more" now and we still like to eat. If we could give that up, it would be different.
    dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  36. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Member

Meijer is located mostly in the Great Lakes, predominantly in Michigan. I'd never heard of it either (I'm from the northeast US too) until I moved to the midwest for the first time.

Meijer is the one and only thing (except for perhaps the shoreline and some nice state parks in Michigan) that I miss terribly about the midwest after living there three times and running back to the northeast every time :scream:.

Walmart, Kmart and Target are all crap, always crowded, and I avoid them all costs. Meijer? :swoon: As much as I'd love to see one here, that likely means it would be ruined. I'm certain the limited geography and the fact that it is still family owned (aka, no altar of shareholder profits) what keeps it so nice.
  37. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Target all the way. I used to also like K-Mart for household stuff when they had the Martha Stewart line, but that's gone now and so is my K-Mart. :(
  38. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't have any choice, Target is the only one of the 3 that exists in my area.
  39. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

There isn't a Target near enough to me but I prefer Target to Walmart. But out of the 3, I would take the Kmart I shop at. It's clean and the employees are friendly and I can relax while I shop. Plus, their rewards card is fun.
  40. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if that grocery store is still there a year after the Wal-Mart opens. And then Wal-Mart can raise their prices.