Tara May be Returning to the Ice

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Iceman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

However, Kwan went to UCLA for a semester while she was competing. And since 2006, she has completed her bachelors degree and is now doing graduate studies.

I do think Tara would benefit from taking some college classes, even if she didn't want to matriculate for a degree. I sometimes found her commentary cringeworthy, especially when she kept saying "expecially".

2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

And? Kwan always wanted to go to college and always had that as a goal. The point was that Tara's grammar school education--which some seem to feel was lacking--was just like Michelle's, which was apparently adequate enough for her to get into UCLA.

College teaches pronunciation? :eek: I guess that's why Jimmy Carter and George Bush stopped saying "nucular." Carter especially must have had it beaten out of him when he took those graduate courses in nuclear science.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

What?!?!? I must have missed this huge influx of athletes competing with each other for acting jobs.

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Pre-Nagano (and for a bit afterwards) Tara also claimed she wanted to go to college, but it seems that the chance for an acting career had more appeal to her. Once she had a small taste of it, she's never uttered another public comment about college AFAIK.
    I'm not sure that Jimmy had any nuclear science courses -- I think he took nucular science instead. ;)

I still cringe whenever I hear colleagues referring to getting reports finished by the end of the "physical" (fiscal) year. :yikes:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

How would Tara know if she would have liked college or benefitted from it if she never tried it? It's not like she had to get a degree. Lots of us try things, realize it's not for us, and move on. Tara had the luxury of being able to try it out time-wise and money-wise that many folks just don't have (and who are forced to make a decision one way or the other). And being homeschooled AND taking classes in a more formal setting, such as university, would have broadened Tara's experience more than simply being homeschooled.

I realize Tara didn't want to go to college, and that's fine, but I don't think you can argue that taking some college courses wouldn't have further broadened Tara's experience and introduced her to situations and subject matters that were new to her. And I don't think you can argue that Tara knew she wouldn't like college before she gave it a try.

I think Tara's commentating is very good, a lot better than most of the commentators out there. I hope she continues down that path and that we see her back on the ice.

O-

7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Duplicate post deleted

8. Prancer

Again, Tara DID take classes in a formal setting AND she's been taking acting classes, which I assume are held in a formal setting as well.

There are a lot of ways to broaden experience, be introduced to new subject matters and situations, and meet new people. College is just one possibility and has its limitations in those areas, just like everything else.

I don't believe I argued either one. I argued--and continue to argue--that college is not for everyone.

You get out of education what you put into it, which is why I firmly believe that the only people who should be in college are the ones who want to be there. If you don't have the passion for learning in that particular kind of environment, then it is an awfully expensive way to put off doing something that is better suited to your personality and needs.

9. DeathDrop

DeathDrop New Member

LOL... As you probably are aware, not all bechelor degrees are the same. How much you can make and what position you are considered probably depend on what you have learned in college. IMO, this has more to do with what your major is than getting a bechelor degree with no market value. Some of popular majors with a potential hefty salary are for example nursing, engineering, accounting, computer science, etc. Also what college you have graduated plays a significant role. If an individual graduated some obscure local college of no name, he/she should lower the expection for any type of hefty salary. This simply is not going to happen, and that is the way it is.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  10. Prancer

I would say that getting a bachelor's in some fields and/or attending a college with no name makes it more challenging to make the hefty salary (which lise did not, in any case, say she wanted or expected), but I think saying that is it simply isn't going to happen ignores the fact that a lot of people with useless degrees and no-name alma maters are very successful--as are people who haven't attended college at all.

Is it harder? Usually. But it's not impossible, by any means.

11. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Prancer- An example of why I feel Tara's commentating is bad:

Ksenia at worlds 2010: Tara makes a comment at the beginning of Ksenia's program that goes something like this: " I think the Russians this year are really coming strong."

That comment was just one sentence with no explanation how the russians are becoming stronger, who, when.... nothing. She didn't elaborate at all. For the average viewer who doesn't know about skating they might want a few more sentences there. She makes a lot of comments like that which tend to go nowhere.

12. DeathDrop

DeathDrop New Member

Sure it is harder, but the odds are stacked against the individual. I made some strong statement here but it does not mean that there won't any individuals however rare they might be with a great deal of success despite all this. My point here is that college majors or quality of colleges plays a significant role in potential earning.

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Well that's what Michelle wanted to do. There's nothing to show that Tara wants to do the same thing. As long as she's happy, then who's to say what she should do?

Exactly.

Yeah, my bf and I would not have gotten our jobs if we didn't have bachelor's degrees. But he's in engineering (makes good money, as most engineers do) and I'm in science, so having a bachelor's in our respective fields IS required. :lol:

For non-technical fields, the degree probably doesn't matter so much.

14. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Why does everyone keep saying as long as she's happy she can do whatever she wants? When you're in a position of commentating it's not about if you're happy, it's your JOB to become better at what you do.

15. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

IMO, she did her job just fine. Tara explains a lot of the mechanics of skating, such as why a skater fell on a jump or why a spin might get negative GOE. She also adds some of her own personal commentary as well and she does an excellent job of pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of each competitor. She doesn't seem worse than any other commentator. In fact, I think she's very good. Can she be better? Of course she can but so can any other commentator. She doesn't need college to be a better commentator though.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Prancer

:confused: Well, maybe the average viewer who doesn't know anything about skating might want to hear more--or not. I don't think most people would need or want any particular elaboration on that kind of comment. IME, most people think commentators talk too much, not too little.

But I must say that college clearly doesn't mean that people always elaborate on their claims in detail without prompting :shuffle:.

ITA. Tara does a much better job of explaining the technical aspects of skating than either Scott Hamilton or Sandra Bezic. And you see where it got the two of them.

17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Unless they said " When I competed" I felt like she spent a LOT of time reminding us that she used to compete. It's NOT suppose to about HER, but about the skaters.... (that appears to be the personal commentary....)

I was not impressed, but others seem to love her. I dread another season with her.

18. Prancer

She does do that too much. I think she will stop as she develops confidence in the role--if she continues.

19. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The constant repetition of "when I competed" made it seem as if Tara was comparing every skater to herself.

Never mind the fact is it's been 12 years since Tara competed, and skating has changed drastically since then.

20. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Yeah Tara definitely talks about her self too much but I like a little of that I guess. Dick Button just about never talked about himself and that'd actually would have been interesting.

I think Tara has the potential to be really great just needs some kind of education class wether that's college or a non college class. It'd help her to learn from the best in such a field.

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Um, I wasn't referring to commentating in particular, I was referring to what she decides to do with her life in general. :p

22. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I wasn't responding to you just generalizing.

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

How do you know she's not doing just that right now??

Agreed. I think she's been able to strike this middle ground between being vague and being too confusing. She can explain things clearly without losing the viewer and that's not an easy thing to do. With more practice and experience I think she could potentially approach becoming the skating version of that NBC diving commentator (forget her name again). It won't happen overnight, or (if she keeps at it) even in 5 years. But I think she's already better than NBC's "A-team" (and ABC's former "A-team" too). Maybe NBC should set her up to replace Bezic once the latter retires. Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and she really doesn't want to do this full-time...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  24. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Tara said it was "a huge misconception" that her hip was why she stopped skating.

25. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

That was a nice interview, definitely think that other one was not accurrate even more than before.

26. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

To be continued...............

27. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I think that the less the commentators speak, the better. I´m just happy to hear that e.g. a jump was okay or had that or that fault.

Maybe I remember it wrong, but I thought that during her last SOI tour 2001-2002 Tara had to cancel her performances several times because of her hip?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  28. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

i must be one of the few who enjoys all of the drastically different types of commentary available. it's nice to watch a performance from many different angles offered by different companies like ABC vs eurosport. if it weren't for some of the constant commentary of some american commentators, I wouldn't know what a split falling leaf or spread eagle is (i'm not a skater). also in some legendary performances it's very emotional to hear legendary skaters such as dick button or scott hamilton going bonkers and gushing along with the audience over a skater. it makes them more human.

yet at the same time it's also often great to listen to eurosport and see how quiet and respectful their commentary is. all commentary has its positives and negatives.

of course if u have a bias for a skater it can get annoying if you feel the commentators have a bias against them or are being way too chatty. it's bound to happen, can't please everyone

29. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Totally agree with you !
    I can't get why some people stick to the position "studies don't help". It's a very bad advice to give to younger people. Studies and degrees are not everything but if one can do them he'd better go for it since it can't hurt at least, and at best you get a real good and well paid job. The more strenghts you have in life, the better. Many people who did not attend college now have trouble to get a interesting professional career. Either it was a choice or not, but now they are stick to lower positions compared to people with good degrees who pass them fast and get better jobs.

30. soogar

soogar New Member

You are all assuming that Tara hasn't attended college when for all you know she could be taking a few classes here and there on the side. She keeps a lot of things to herself. Tara has always said in interviews that when she chooses to attend college she didn't want to do it halfway.

And hate to drag Michelle's name in it but since people have referenced her- Michelle too has had trouble combining school and skating and by her own admission did not receive good grades at UCLA when she was skating competitively- referencing the interview she gave when she said that her father was surprised to see she was getting As after she committed herself fully to school (paraphrasing).

People are different. Not everyone can be a Matt Savoie or other academically gifted skaters and do well in school while pursuing an activity seriously. If Tara is focused on getting acting gigs, all of her time can be occupied with acting classes, voice lessons dance etc. in addition to going out to auditions. Most people who go for acting don't make it anyway- LA is full of people who keep trying for jobs. But sometimes they get lucky and Tara seems to be in a financial position where she can pursue this career. If she enjoys the pursuit and the people she meets along the way, more power to her.

I also agree with Tangerine Dream. The only reason why employers require college is because there are so many people with degrees and it is used as another measure to weed people out.