Tara May be Returning to the Ice

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Iceman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

I think the people who consider college degrees to be the "back up plan" are stuck living in the 90s. In this economy a degree really means very little. You're 50,000 dollars in debt and it won't help you get a job. Most of my friends who've graduated college in the past couple of years either still cannot find a job, or are working at jobs they didn't need degrees for (read: retail). Unless one has a dream of becoming a doctor or lawyer (read: graduate studies, aka 8 years of school) a simple BA doesn't really help many people these days. Most jobs you get are through connections or previous experience. Sure there might be some companies that require degrees but those are usually corporate jobs that most skaters and other retired artistic/sports people might not be so inclined to go out for anyways.

Tara's qualifications from her previous accomplishments would help her get a job much easier than a BA would. Of course, she's better off staying in her field, but that would be true for anyone. Without experience no one will hire you these days.

School's a good experience but a pretty expensive one and these days more than ever it doesn't in anyway guarantee a job, especially not an undergraduate degree.

2. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

^ um lol wow I don't agree at all but I'm not going to get into this discussion

3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I think a degree would have helped her with her vocabulary. Even a simple 101 English class if she hasn't already taken one.

4. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

When Sasha Cohen was competing against Michelle Kwan, Tara used to say that Sasha reminded her of herself . . . Considering how well Tara got along with super nice Kristi Yamaguchi while on tour, I would love to hear how Sasha and Tara got along on tour together :2faced:

5. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

From what I've read, Tara never went to formal school----she was home-schooled by her mother. There are lots of reasons for pursuing college studies other than getting a job: for example, personal development and expanding one's own horizons.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  6. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Exactly! Jobs are important, most of us need them for survival. In the end however gaining wisdom is more important than wealth IMO and that's what you get from college WISDOM/knowledge. I'd rather have wisdom than a well paying job.

Going to college could make Tara a better commentator. Going into broadcasting could give her a lot of oppurtunities.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I recall reading an interview with Tara in 1999 or 2000 (?).
    At that time she had graduated and stated she wanted to go to college, but she didn't want to study just 'anything'...I remember a snide reference to "Underwater Basket Weaving". :huh:

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wow...I said this in another thread but it's amazing to me how many people project their own ideas of success and happiness onto others. So what if Tara never went to university? If she is proud of her life experiences, she's doing well for herself, and is happy, who are we to judge? Plus, you don't necessarily HAVE to attend college to become educated...valuable life experiences can also do that (some people refer to this as being "street-smart")...As for becoming a broadcaster, I think she showed tremendous potential during her stint as an IN commentator, and that experience will serve her well if she chooses to pursue something in that avenue. Oh well...

9. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

oF course she can do whatever she wants, college is just a suggestion

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well as someone who recently hired..... I only interviewed folks with a college degree.. and the position was "artistic" So... (Design type job)

(And of course we also hired a couple of accountants, who just graduated from college)

In this economy where you have LOTS more applicants then jobs... not having that degree can knock you out of the running fast. We can be picky when we hire... SORRY!

11. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

thanks for this post, nice to hear employers are taking degrees seriously. A degree is too much work to be then be only belittled.

12. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Not to derail this thread but I don't think t_d was belittling degrees. To a certain extent he is right. For those of us who get bachelor degrees in the humanities or liberal arts, our job search isn't much easier than those who only have high school diplomas but we unfortunately have much more debt than those who have only a high school diploma. I say this as someone who has BA in a humanities field and who now wants to pursue an MSW. This isn't to say that I didn't love gaining the knowledge that I did while pursuing my BA or love being in college. College helped my writing and critical thinking skills. I also became interested in feminism and religion by going to college. However, it honestly has not helped me in getting a job. The current job I have I got through a "connection" and trust me, you don't need a BA to do it. The one thing I am glad for is that having the BA obviously allows me to get an MSW, which will allow me to be more employable and also enter a field where I can help people and actually make a difference in their lives.

Ok, back to Tara. If she didn't want to get a college degree, it doesn't mean that she wasted her time or her talents. Not everyone wants to attend college and that's ok.

13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Those folks saying they got a job through a connection and the college degree didn't help. Are you so sure? Maybe that connection wouldn't have worked out at all if the potential employer knew you didn't have a degree.

I worked in human resources for a large company while in college, and formal education was definitely considered, if not considered the determining factor.

A degree says something very important: Commitment to reaching a specific goal.

Tara has shown that commitment already by winning her Olympic Gold; however, since she didn't need the degree to get a job to earn money -- because she didn't need to earn money -- college, even a few courses here and there -- would have been a good idea and would still be a good idea for so many reasons.

I do believe a degree or journalism/broadcasting courses would help Tara if she is considering broadcasting. I think studying the performing arts in a college/university atmosphere would have also helped Tara's acting pursuits. I think what you gain from any sort of formal education is intangible, but formal education often forces you outside your comfort zones and introduces you to ideas and people that you might otherwise never have encountered.

It's never too late! That is, if Tara wants to go to school. If not, I'm sure she'll do fine. I do hope if she is considering skating again that she takes good care of her body. I personally would like to see her back on the ice, but not at the expense of her health.

O-

14. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Some people don't want to go to college. It's not a requirement, nor is it a guarantee of education, social growth or proficiency in an academic subject, any more than not attending college leaves one ignorant or socially inept. The worst students I have are the ones who are there because they think they should be but don't really want to be. All they do is put in time--time that, IMO, would be better spent elsewhere.

I think Tara is a decent commentator and will get better with experience, and I don't think there's anything wrong with her vocabulary. She has always been articulate and well spoken. I don't know why all of that is erased by this one email interview, but I guess it's the off season.

I believe that Tara has taken acting classes--something one doesn't have to enroll in college to do.

15. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

:huh: Are you implying that Tara is less articulate because she was home-schooled? As someone who has been home-schooled and attended public school, I assure you that language skills are not hindered just because one receives an education at home.

Back on topic, I'd love to see Tara return to skating. She did a great job with the Worlds commentary, and I really enjoyed seeing her doing something skating related again.

16. Artifice

Artifice Guest

:eek::scream:

Me to.

Yep !
    When an employer has to choose between two equally experienced candidates, they always choose the most graduated one. And there are tons of reasons for that. Just an exemple of how studies can help... From my experience, those who said that studies and degrees mean nothing, were not holding any degree... And most of the time they had no interesting nor well paid jobs...

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There was recently a newspaper article here (in Canada), but I can't remember whether it was one of the free ones ("Metro", "24 Hours"), "Vancouver Sun", or "Georgia Straight", etc., but it talked about how more and more people coming out of high school were skipping university and training for a trade (electrician, plumber, etc.) or going from university into trade training.

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

A college degree may continue to be a requirement for certain professions, but it is most definitely NOT a requirement to be educated. In fact, some of the most educated and well-read people I know did not attend college.

There are a plethora of professions (ooh, look at me - I have a graduate degree so I can use "big" words) that do not require a college education - one can become a plumber, an electrician, a mechanic, and so forth - and many of them are far more financially rewarding than being stuck in a middle management chain at some corporation. And one does not need to hold a college degree to start one's own business. Look at the guy who founded Kinko's. Or Bill Gates, probably one of the most famous college dropouts.

And for you college grads who are reading like you're supposed to ;), I'm surprised that you've missed the slew of articles recently questioning the ROI on a college education. At $50K and more a year for private schools, many are wondering whether it is in fact a good financial investment (which was tangerine_dream's point).

There are a lot of excellent reasons to go to college. But there are also a lot of very valid reasons NOT to go to college. And just because someone chooses the latter path does not mean that he/she will be unemployable, ignorant or dumb, or without opportunities in life.

19. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I think people mentioned college for Tara based on how she speaks and thought college could really help her. It's not that those who don't go to college are dumb, it's that some obviously need some sort of an education if your holding a certain job and are lacking in essential skills, then an education would be wise. It's about respecting the field you're in. She's on tv, she should want a bigger vocabulary so that she can do a better job.

I think there are a ton of people who do go to college, so much so that it has now become as common or almost essential as a high school diploma. But obviously if someone already has strong skills they may not need college. However if you're trying to be a professor lmk how that hs diploma is working for you. But bill gates did go to college even though he dropped out.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It's only "almost essential" if one aspires towards an extremely conventional path of working for corporate America. It's a great big world out there, and thankfully, there's more to it than just being a cog in the machine.

ETA: And as for college improving how one speaks, as someone who used to type term papers for others while I was in college, I can assure you that college study does not necessarily cure one's limited vocabulary or one's inability to construct a complex sentence.

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I have a bachelor's degree; the two people who were up for this gig didn't; they had associate's degrees. And THIS is a FRIGGING OFFICE JOB. One was a vet like me, the other was not.

22. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

For Tara, at least, I don't think money would be much of a concern; if it was a concern, I doubt that she would continue with her "acting." If Tara wants to stay in her current fields or something related (such as coaching, choreography, etc.) then I don't think college is necessary. If, however, she is interested in changing careers, then college (IMO) will be invaluable ... it would expose her to a lot of new fields and subjects that (eventually) may well help her in choosing her new career, as well preparing her for that new field -- and it would demonstrate to her future employer that her committment to her new field is as great as her committment was to her skating.

23. lise

lise Well-Known Member

Honestly, I have a bachelor's degree and it does me no good. The only positions i am being considered for are reception or call center-type positions; believe me, this is not what I had in mind for a career. At least where i live to get anything remotely away from admin, I need a Masters which I am working saving the money to pay for it.

24. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Never said a college degree was necessary or that everyone had to go or that one couldn't make the decision not to go. Never said a college degree would help everybody. There are exceptions to everything in life. BUT ... it can't hurt ... especially when you have the money and time to go, and aren't pursuing something so time-consuming that it would prevent you from going. Tara wouldn't have been carrying around debt and scrounging for an office job if she had gone.

In Tara's case, of course, she can choose not to go, and she has done just that. Has it hurt her? Who knows. But for someone who has never had ANY formal education (Tara was home-schooled), being in a new environment, i.e., an academic one, even for a few classes here and there, would have broadened Tara's experience.

O-

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  25. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Some of you might want to look at the interview again, it's really bad. She gives the same answers and mostly one sentence answers. Shes not even always answering to the question. The interviewer isn't so great himself however so I guess it could be the interviewer who is at fault. I have watched her commentary though and found that to be bad as well.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  26. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

27. query5

query5 New Member

for me timing of coming back is funny- as michelle is basically shutting door on skating (maybe exhibitions are still open) she is coming back.
    just timing of announcing of coming back to skating is weird.
    but all the luck to her anyway.
    i do wonder if she needs money or more in (pay) per acting deal or skating so she is coming back. like she needs skating to get more money per see . or so people don't forget about her.
    but most athletes nowadays go in acting, so it is harder to keep working in acting than before.

28. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I'm still not convinced that interview is real. :lol: Or at least I don't think what she said was written down properly.

Tara may not be a great commentator (I don't think she was that bad given it was her first try), but she's not an idiot, and 3rd graders could give the same response to every question. You don't have to have a college degree or even get past the 6th grade to form decent sentences.

29. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Yeah, because sports commentators are known for their vocabularies.

Dick Button has a big vocabulary, which mostly translates into people not having a clue what he's talking about, while Scott Hamilton repeats the same phrases over and over and is very popular with the general public.

A big vocabulary isn't nearly as important as being able to speak clearly, describe things accurately, talk quickly and knowledgably off the top of one's head, and know when to shut up.

And that's not even addressing the issue of the efficacy of a college education on the average person's vocabulary :lol:. If you want to talk to someone with a big vocabulary, find someone who reads a lot.

A college degree is nowhere near as common or essential as a high school diploma. A ton of people go to college; most of them don't finish. This is a huge issue in academia now that people seem to think that a college degree is necessary and are pushing more and more kids into going.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-03-16-1Acollegeforall16_CV_N.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/weekinreview/16steinberg.html

Indeed.

Is there some indication that she is?

I completely disagree with that. College can be a very painful experience for some people and a complete waste of time for others. See the links above.

I realize that people who put a high value on college education are usually people who enjoyed college and benefitted from it, but that is not the case for everyone.

The reverse is true, too--being homeschooled would be a new experience and broaden a lot of horizons, too, yet few recommend it.

We could get into a nice argument about the benefits of homeschooling, but let's not, as the point is Tara--who has indeed had some formal, traditional classroom experiences and was not homeschooled for her entire educational career. She also was not homeschooled by her mother; she took a formal correspondence course--exactly as Michelle Kwan did.

I thought her commentary was quite good and IIRC, a lot of people on this board did as well. Why did you think it was bad?

30. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

The interview sounds pretty bogus IMHO.

She expanded on nothing and she sounded like a teenager "doing normal stuff' at her age?

She is far more intelligent than that IIRC. At one time, she mentined she wanted to e a lawyer.