Tara Lipinski Sochi commentary?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by SkateBlades17, Aug 15, 2013.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

peter carruthers is actually much better at explaining ijs than he is interviewing people

2. dots

dots Well-Known Member

They need to bring Terry Gannon! He's so much better than the usual toad NBC hires.

3. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

In skating in particular, but in other sports as well, I just wish they'd get RID of sports commentators completely. I would much rather just sit back and watch and enjoy a routine, and listen to the music, without having to be distracted by someone TALKING, telling me what I'm already seeing.

4. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Paul Wylie, please. No Tara.

5. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Tara seems always to frame her commentary from her own personal perspective: how SHE felt when SHE skated. And I cringe every time she says "expecially"---and she says it pretty often.

6. query5

query5 New Member

tara is okay,

i wouldn't mind it but i wondering if nbc is doing michelle vs tara thing

7. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well I guess I can watch on mute.

I don't want an entire "when I skated" commentary, repeated references to her being the youngest gold medal winner ever and giggling

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ The OP hasn't come back in here to inform us where he/she read this. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It would be fascinating to have Scott & Tara in the booth at the same time given their inevitably rocky history (due to Tara's tenure at SOI) and her clearly superior knowledge of COP.

10. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Or doing an eeeeeasy double axel at the beginning, just to get her legs under her.

11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few who really like Scott and Sandra. Scott is the big kid who brings life to the commentary while Sandra is the more thoughtful sober one. I also miss Vern Lundqvist. He had such an Olympic voice in Lillehammer. Brought instant prestige to the event.

Yes Terry Gannon was excellent. Yes Peter Carruthers has his moments. Tracy Wilson is a goddess. I also think Tara will come into her own. I remember being struck by how articulate she was as a teen. They won't give her the hot seat for Olympics. Maybe some studio commentary. She needs to earn her stripes. The other person I'm waiting for to get seriously into commentary is Mike Weiss. Another articulate guy who is approachable. I fully expect it some day.

12. dewey

dewey Member

I think Tara has potential with a little voice training and if she learns not to talk about herself. She can be very analytical, and I have found her explanations about what is and isn't working for a skater to be helpful and well-put. She and Johnny are also hilarious together with Peter playing a good foil. I also like Michael Weiss because his commentary is low- key and non-distracting. I could totally do without Scotty at this point.

13. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I completely agree! They are by far my favorite commentators as they really do want the skaters to succeed. One of my favorite moments from watching the Eurosport livestream was when Ashley Wagner landed a jump after her random footwork fall and one of them shouted, "Atta girl!" So sweet.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Can I just nominate Dave and Jenny from The Skating Lesson? Informative AND snarky. Can it get any better?

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Sorry to ask this : What did Tara commentate before ? I don't remember. :shame:

16. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I agree with this statement. She talks about herself wayyyy too much but other than that, she does a good job.

17. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I second the Paul Wylie vote!! :cheer2:

18. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Agree with the previous two posts. I think Tara has a good announcing voice and she knows her skating and COP, but she's got to learn to get the "me, me, me" out of the commentary. And definitely Paul Wylie, he is GREAT in the booth!

19. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

...or reminding us all how "blades don't like going sideways." :D

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Could we have Paul Wylie and Terry Gannon, please?
    Paul really understands CoP; and is able to explain it in a way that the viewer understands.

Terry has said how much he came to appreciate skating; and misses it.
    The sport misses him, as well.

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

A lot of gp events

22. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree Tara talks too much about herself, but her commentary is far more thoughtful than Scott's so between those two, I'd easily prefer Tara.

23. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I believe most of Paul's work was done post-event, so he knew the outcome of the elements and was able to prepare his analysis ahead of time. That's not to diminish his abilities, but I'm not sure he would excel in a live situation, which is both unpredictable and stressful. Trust me.

I agree Tracy Wilson is the best. She really knows her CoP.

I actually think Tara has potential. She just needs a little more practice. I like Jenny and Dave in what they do, but Dave's delivery in particular is not network tv. Again, not dissing, just speaking from experience.

I'm afraid we're stuck with Scott and Sandra and their bias. If I hear Scott say, "she has every quality you want in a ladies figure skater" one more time ...

24. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. Or "skates don't like to go sideways" or "you can't win the competition in the short program, but you can certainly lose it" or "nails it!" or "my heart hurts for her"

25. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I'm predicting we hear it at least 11 times by the time the Olympics is over. :lol:

26. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget "Her weakness is....she has none." and of course he will say over and over again, "It used to be in the old judging system that you can't win the gold medal in the short program but you can lose it."