Tara Lipinski Sochi commentary?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by SkateBlades17, Aug 15, 2013.

1. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

I read that Tara Lipinski is going to be covering the Sochi Olympics for NBC. Is that true? Does anyone know who the NBC commentators will be?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Tara is definitely a much better alternative to Sandra Bezic. Is Scott Hamilton the other commentator or will he be replaced? By who?

4. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

God no. Sandra is the best. She knows her stuff. Tara was the worst commentator since Peter Carruthers ... lots of useless chattering when you just want to watch people skate.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I expect both Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton to be back for NBC. I think Bezic alluded to being in Sochi for the Olympics in her podcast interview with Pj Kwong.

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Scott and Sandra not commentating in Sochi. Maybe Tara could do interviews?

7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd say these words, but...I'd rather listen to Sandra. Tara's constant giggling gets on my nerves.

8. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Neither Sandra nor Scott has made much of an effort to learn the COP, something that Tara has actually attempted to do in her commentary. If she can real in her chattering, she would do just fine. I've come to terms with the fact that we will never get Eurosport, BBC, or heck even CBC level commentators.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'll take anyone over Scott, please. I can't stand to hear him scream and grunt through another skaters final triple jump while he reminds us over and over how hard that is to do on tired legs at the end of a program.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

but they are buuuuuurning at that point in the program

11. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

To funny I could hear him saying the 'tired legs ' bit as soon as some mentioned his name!!!

12. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

This! :scream::yikes::rofl: Please, find the off switch.

13. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

If Scott's doing it, I'll watch it elsewhere if possible.

14. Vash01

I will take anyone except Sandra over Scott. She is the most biased commentator ever.

15. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Tara!

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Tara vs Michelle again, after 16 years. :eek:

17. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I love Tara's commentating. Sandra and Scott need to hit the road.

18. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Sandra and Scott. No. Tara? She's just alright. Can't they find someone who's actually GOOD? (Must be a lot harder than it seems ...)

O-

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Possibly Tara will up her game for prime time television. I'm tired of commentators who refuse to learn COP or who haven't had competitive experience at the elite level in almost 30 years. We need someone who has had to compete in the post-figures world who understands the technical demands that has been required since 1990.

20. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Tara is interesting. I loved her commentating the first year or two she started-- I thought she was a fresh voice, unbiased, an had some genuine insights. But the last couple seasons I have been unimpressed. She has been too casual, giggly, and not offering any insight. It's almost like she isn't putting any thought/preparation into it (I'm sure that isn't the case, but that is the impression she has left on me).

Tara has the potential to be a great commentator, but for now I'd prefer Bezic.

21. Vash01

I am sure Tara will up the ante in her commentating, for the Olympics- competitor that she is.

I absolutely cannot stand the Scott-Sandra combination. I may have to mute my TV if they are the commentators, or try watching other countries- if I can get those on my computer. I am sick of Scott's screaming and Sandra's horribly biased opinions. As another poster pointed out, they never took the time to learn the COP. Tara will do a decent - not great- job, I think.

22. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I don't believe there's been any word about Tara commentating for the Olympics. The OP was asking about it, but it doesn't appear that she will be -- at least not at this point. That could certainly change.

O-

23. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I wish wish wish they'd hire the Eurosport guys. They are awesome. In addition to having wonderful accents :) they don't gush excessively and they give helpful and concise commentary during the program. Also, they aren't overly biased a la Sandra and Scott. Anytime I can find a Eurosport YT video, that's the one I choose...

24. my little pony

i much prefer them. and if someone would put the idea out there as way of cutting expenses, we might get lucky.

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

ITA. She used to be really good...but lately, I feel she has been "phoning it in" so to speak...so I am no longer excited at the thought of her taking over. She can no longer be considered a proper upgrade to Bezic unfortunately.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's exactly why NBC keeps them on. They like Scott's "personality" and NBC thinks (or probably knows) that the casual U.S. Olympic audience buys into Sandra's expertise. They want to create sensationalist stories to get people excited and talking about the skaters/results. They're not interested in a straight-laced figure skating competition, but a soap opera to attract audiences. The sad part is that in this competitive television environment, NBC may be right. They're not interested in education so much as entertainment. I guess they figure that even though those audiences don't necessarily carry over to Nationals and Worlds broadcasts every year, at least they'll get people interested during the Olympics. The way NBC probably sees it, those who will be interested in figure skating and become fans who may watch every year may do so in spite of (or because of) such commentary.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  27. my little pony

ita, it's like the narrative created for a reality show

28. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Scott is good for the casual Olympic fan. Some viewers don't think skating is difficult or even athletic, and Scott gets them to buy into the fact that the sport is actually challenging and that there's a lot of suspense/excitement as to whether or not skaters will land jumps. I think he's annoying, biased, and doesn't really care about educating the viewer, but I understand why NBC likes him so much.

I'd love for someone to replace Sandra, but just like others have mentioned in this thread, I'm not sure Tara is the answer. I don't mind her commentary though, and it would be nice for NBC to use additional commentators in some capacity.

29. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Over the years, I have mostly really liked Scott and Sandra's commentary but I do agree that they are not COP savvy. I would like some more recent champions to step into the booth. I like Tara and think she would really prepare and do well. I would love to see NBC pluck Tanith to commentate ice dance. Figure skating is not the same though without Dickie B....he will always be my favorite. Terry Gannon is also a total pro.

30. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Unlike Scott and Sandra Tara does seem to know about the details of cop.