TAR with no game :( But we've got Chippendales

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Oct 1, 2012.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

I missed it. What is Abby sobbing about?

And Ryan? U-turns are part of the game. Deal with it.
  2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I feel sorry for Abbie and Ryan. He's a jerk, but jeeze they have bad luck.
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Abbie kept a good attitude through all the bad luck, but I'm not sorry to see Ryan go

Bwhahaha, the TAR editors to come on with the perky organ music after Ryan's lament.
  4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Woot, Nadal inspired task in Majorca next week. :D
  5. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Teams can whine about it however much they want (although I won't listen), but the U-turn is a tool available in the Race and everybody knows it. Maybe had they not booked a tight connection with multiple airlines (or, you know, checked in for their connecting flight) and made it to Amsterdam when they were supposed to, they'd have gotten to the U-turn first. Or perhaps they could have hustled through their tasks instead of leisurely completing them with the goats, they could have beaten them out. I find it hard to follow their claim that the chips cost them $2 million.
  6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I hate when teams whine about the U-turn. It's not personal (well mostly and not on the Chips part), but I don't think you should be able to U-turn the team that first used the U-turn.
  7. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Yeah why are they whining about being u-turned when if they had done their flights better the past few legs they could have been at the u-turn first, not the Chippies. Their poor decision two episodes ago cost them the money, not the chippies being mean.
  8. Fridge_Break

As much as I'd like for future seasons the producers to consider having the teams "checking in" at the U-turn mat, and then their pictures become unavailable and therefore 'ineligible' for being U-turned to prevent what happened tonight from happening again, I really don't think they'd do that because it'd be a dead give-away as to where teams are placement-wise in the leg. Seeing as they try to keep the teams guessing by stuffing the clueboxes with random amounts of clue envelopes, I don't see this happening, unfortunately.
  9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

They could see that the Chips had already U-turned them and then were U-turned. If this was a blind u turn I could see your point.
  10. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

Maybe I didn't get what happened there, but I thought it was making a second connection that pretty much saved them? They got closed out of the first connection because it was too tight, made it to their second and would have been fine if the second plane hadn't broken down. But making the second connection was smart--I thought.

What did I miss?

I can see why they took the U-turn personally, too--that would feel like a betrayal if it came from a friend, game or no game. As they said, they wouldn't have thought twice about it if it had been one of the other two because they expected it. It may be part of the game, but I think I would have taken it as a kick when I was down, too, especially after such a string a bad luck.

I do not, however, understand the idea of sticking with the last place team. If they hadn't waited on the goats last week, they would have had more of a cushion.
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm actually not a fan of the U turn because one thing I like about TAR is that the winners are mainly determined by their ability to complete the tasks, stay cool and some luck. I'm not a fan of Survivor and the constant alliances and betrayals. TAR usually comes up with enough drama just from the race and the relationships within a team without manufacturing it.

I can understand Abbie and Ryan whining a bit - you're tired already and then you have to go dance around in the rain. I'm sure I'd whine too, but I'm still glad to see Ryan gone.
  12. Fridge_Break

The first connection they tried to make I am almost sure of was on a different airline than what they flew from Moscow to Frankfurt, since they were not checked in for their connecting flight. Not being checked-in killed their chances of making the flight, that's the point I was trying to (confusingly) get at. :p I agree that the second connection they booked just in case saved their butts, definitely.
  13. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I had the impression that not only did they not check in, they hadn't actually purchased the connecting flight ticket. I thought the gate agent said something about them not having an actual ticket because it sounded like they might have let them on the plane if they had a ticket.
  14. Prancer

They bought the tickets online, so I'm guessing they didn't have a ticket in hand, probably because they ran straight to the gate instead of checking in first.
  15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I would hate to see this. Nothing is more funny that a team gloating about u-turning someone, when they are already ahead of them.

Blind u-turns could prevent what happened today, but really I thought it was brilliant.

And if we are changing u-turn rules, the u-turned team should not be allowed to use the u-turn themselves until they complete the second task.
  16. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I don't get why Trey and Lexi u-turned the Chippendales. They had to know the Chippies were ahead of them and the u-turn was totally pointless.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Fridge_Break

They used it so that it would burn then second available U-turn option, and Abbie & Ryan would not be able to U-turn another team, thus them being the only ones that would have to complete both detour tasks.
  18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I loved that Josh and Brent have the background to know what a "Tableau Vivant" was; and do it well - while appreciating and enjoying the experience.
  19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

In addition to what Fridge_Break already said- it was preplanned, there was a scene shown with the Chips, T/L, and the twins agreeing to this plan: the first to the u-turn would use it on Abby/Ryan. Then the next team would burn it by using it on the team that already used it (so they know for certain they are ahead of them). So if Trey and Lexie got there first, the Chips would have u-turned them to burn the double u-turn.
  20. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

this is why they keep winning Emmys
  21. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Too bad the Chips didn't get the 10k, but credit to the Twinnies for getting their earlier flight and the subsequent fast forward.

I say make the U-turn blind, always. I didn't really think it was very fair that Texas could waste the U-turn on a team that clearly couldn't be U-turned. But Abby and Ryan would have targeted anyways, being eligible for $2 million when the others are not.
  22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't understand why being eligible to win 2 million makes them more of a target unless it added to the perceived notion of them being a strong team. I remember shaking my head when I heard the twins mentioning that as a reason to get rid of them.
  23. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Having a chance at $2 million might make you more motivated in the final legs. Plus overall, up until their airport difficulties, they were one of the strongest teams. However, it was funny to see Ryan struggling more than the Goat on the vaulting roadblock (at least based on what was aired).

It will be interesting to see if 2 of the 3 top teams conspire against the 3rd to keep the Goats for the final. If so, it will more likely be the twins and the UT couple.
  24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I could see the goats being left out. After all, they may get a bit huffy about the U-turn and be left out of the final 3 alliance. Chippies or Twinnies may make a dumb mistake, but that's unlikely.
  25. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I'm not feeling too bad for Abbie & Ryan especially since Ryan outright said that if they were u-turned they would u-turn the goaties.
  26. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^ Exactly!! Ryan sat there and whined with the "I thought we were friends I would never do that" crap when they know damn well if they got there first, and it was available, they would have U-turned someone as well. Even if they got their first, I would bet that $2 million dollars that the Chippies "cost them" (NOT!!) they would have U-turned the Twinnies ... or anyone! I so hate it when people whine about getting U-turned. Its called a GAME and the U-turn is part of the game! And as long as a team I hate gets U-turned, then I'm all for it! :lol: Although I do wish they were all blind U-turns, just to keep the other teams guessing who did it. Then I would so lie if I was the one who did it, you know? ;)

And again as for the "I thought we were friends" line .... uhm, up until what, like 15 days prior, you didn't know these people from Adam. They are not your "friends". This is a game, you are contestants. And I'm not gonna give up the chance to win a million bucks just to be 'friends' with a stranger I never met before and never would know were it not for being on this show. I'm there for one purpose, not to make friends ... to win a freaking million dollars.

That being said ..... ggggooooo Chippies!!!!! I so want them to win!!!!!
  27. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

BaileyCatts, I agree with you except for the "They are not your "friends". This is a game, you are contestants." I think you can be friends, even long-term, rest-of-life friends, after meeting someone for a short amount a time. All friendships start somewhere, and I think games like this, where only the contestants really understand what it's like to be on the show, make it more likely that people will form bonds. Usually you find that people click really quickly, or they don't. Whether you're there to make friends or not, you may still make friends - even if it's not your purpose for being on the show. I'd love to be on the show for the experience, the potential friends, prizes and winning would be an absolute bonus, because I think the whole experience would just be amazing (;))
  28. Prancer

You guys sure are more accepting of "screw your neighbor" moves than I am. If I were in the running for a million dollars (or two, in this case) and you did something to me to make it harder for me to get there, I would take it personally, regardless of the fact that it was allowed, especially if I was already way behind you and didn't have much chance of catching up. It would be one thing if I were, say, five minutes behind you and we were competing for first or last place, but it's another when you're in first place and I'm hours behind you trying to stay out of last place. I would take it less personally from someone I disliked, as that's nearly always reciprocal; it would hurt my feelings if someone I liked knowingly and deliberately made a move to cut me out of the game altogether.

You would all really just shrug and say, "Oh, well. It's all part of the game. Farewell, chance at two million dollars, but all's fair in love and war"?
  29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

If I'd just lost a chance at a million dollars, I'd cry, curse, and plot revenge against those who did it. Especially, when it wasn't necessary. Every one who's said it's just part of the game, have also said they didn't like Abbie/Ryan. Would they feel the same if it had been the Chippies who'd been knocked out? I think not. Abby/Ryan had really, really bad luck two legs in a row. I can totally understand their frustration and anger.
  30. BaileyCatts

Yes. I would. To me its a game that I got a one-in-a how many ever thousands of people applied to be on the show shot, and if me U-turning you improved my chances to win versus you, then too bad for you. And if you get there first and U-turn me for the same reason, well then too bad for me. I might have a split second "oh dammit they got me" moment, but I'm not going to stand there and whine and cry about how so not fair it is like everyone seems to do when they get U-turned (when, if they got there first, they would have done the same thing ... exactly like Abby and Ryan said they would U-turn the Goats; so much for their 'friendship' I guess). I'm going to run as fast as I can to that other task and get.it.done. I just can't stand it when someone who got U-turned whines about it. I know if I was on the show, I would never pass up the opportunity to use the U-turn.
  31. BaileyCatts

Shortened your quote to save space, but to me it WAS necessary. They are in Europe and have to get back to the USA for final leg, which they knew very well is just days away. There WILL be a major bunch up at an airport trying to get back to USA and likely everyone is on the same flight. It won't be the same as the eff-ups that happened with flight planning due to limited flights back to the USA versus multiple flights they can take between European countries. Doesn't matter that they were 10 hours behind, that window gets wiped once they have to get back to the USA. No, I didn't like Abby and Ryan so I'm happy they are out, but they were also strong racers who are only behind because of a missed flight. Had they not missed that flight, I have no doubt they would be right up at the front of the pack.

And if it was the Chippies in the exact same scenerio, I would be sad they are out since I like them, but hey ... that's the breaks, and that's the game. Ain't like it would be the first time a team I was rooting for got eliminated.
  32. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

Even when a team I've liked has been U-turned, I've accepted it. It's a strategy to use to win the game. If I was on the show and it happened to me, yeah, I'd be pissed off, but I wouldn't blame the people ahead of me for doing it. I'd be pissed because I didn't get there in time to U-turn them first. :EVILLE:

Did everyone know how far behind Abby/Ryan were? They would have no idea they were stuck in Frankfurt.
  33. allezfred

At that moment, I'd be really upset, but I would hope that I'd be philosophical about it with the passage of time. Then again I'd try not to antagonise other teams on the race unnecessarily and not state on camera that I would U-turn "friends" if I got U-turned myself. ;)
  34. Prancer

Aren't we all talking about their reaction at that moment? Because from the one post-boot interview I've seen, they ARE philosophical about it now.
  35. allezfred

I haven't seen the post-race interview, but good to hear that they're all right with it now.
  36. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Some people really do have trouble u-turning people, but it's a part of the game. It's a race. Yes, you make friends, but that's not the point of the game. If you are nice people, it will show during the down times, waiting at the airport, maybe even on tasks if it is smart to be like that, but when the leg starts, it is "game on" a nd you have to do what is available for you to win. Many teams have had to do both tasks in a U-turn and been able to overcome it, but for these guys the flight issues were the real problem.
  37. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Well, the uberfans were able to do it earlier in this race, and Abbie/Ryan were much better racers than the uberfans.

I'll admit to being disappointed when the Globetrotters u-turned the cowboys, but I understood their position and didn't rant and rave about it.
  38. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

39. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

40. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member