TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Love the hockey brothers. They are very funny and did great on making fire real quick.

Wonder if they'll take the blondes to Thailand!?!?
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at how the players have to do animal calls.
  3. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I want to work with donkeys in Botswana!
  4. Catherine M

Next week with bad tempered donkeys looks great!
  5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I hate non-elimination rounds when a team I hate doesn't get the DQ. Now if its a team I like ... then I love NEL's. :p

Wow. So Wynonna ffiinnaallyy does a task (and still complained about it). I still see them getting the next elimination though.

I thought that Fowl detour was they had to trap an actual live game hen, so right away I picked fire also. Then when I saw all they had to do was build the trap it was a :duh: moment for me. I would have picked fire because I thought you had to catch a game hen in the trap.

Donkey's next week! :cheer: I luvs donkey's. I just hope the teams I hate get the stubborn ones.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the donkeys!!

I hope none of them are broken. :lol: :lol:
  7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

why oh why oh why would anyone pick the fire challenge??? Especially when several teams all but told us they watch Survivor?!? :p

I didn't think this would be an NEL...partially because I forgot last week wasn't an NEL, but also because we got the requisite ugly american comments from Katie, which would indicate a comeuppance was nigh.

Chuck's hair is getting more incredible by the episode :lol:
  8. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

The minute I saw the fire challenge, I thought everyone would pick the snare. Hockey dudes clearly had some understanding of the process, the rest were pathetic. :lol:

Scorpions were :yikes: but strangely fascinating.

Loved bushmen, they really made the challenges interesting. Overall a very good episode, and can't wait for the donkeys next week. Unlike shan, I am hoping for a broken donkey! :EVILLE:
  9. Catherine M

Someone pointed out on Survivor sucks that the first leg in Africa after a long, long flight has always been a NEL leg so no surprise that Max & Katie were saved.
  10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:respec: Hockey guys!! They're my favorites (which means they will be eliminated in either of the next two episodes). :scream:

I also enjoyed the bushmen and their comment about Joey being scared directly after he proclaimed himself "Scorpion King" :lol:

:lol: at broken donkeys, it would probably make for great TV. Here's hoping Katie gets a broken one!!
  11. genevieve

interesting!
  12. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I know, right? I've watched Dual Survival, and sometimes even Cody, experienced survivalist and fire-making expert, has trouble starting a fire. I was so surprised that almost everyone went for that challenge. Unless there's a Bic involved, stay away from fire-making challenges!

I was also a bit curious last week when they went to the B-52 memorial and nothing was really said about it. Usually when they go to to a memorial, they say something about the lives lost, etc. Now I see why. I'm a horrible American and didn't know the history of the memorial other than it was from the Vietnam War.

I started hearting Max when he couldn't contain his wonderment at John and Jessica not using the Express Pass. And then this week, the whole thing about closing his mouth on the scorpion task was hilarious. I may be alone in this, but I'm glad it was an NEL.
  13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

i am looking forward to the donkey challenge. That is always fun and unpredictable.

Love the hockey players. They're really talking up those blondes!!

Too bad it was a NEL. I could have done with getting rid of those two...
  14. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I'm to the point where I'd rather have Joey gone. Too much squealing this week.
  15. Catherine M

I too would love to see Joey go next. He is beyond annoying.

Max and Katie have an interesting extra clip on the CBS site where they say that their plan going into the race was to be the team everyone hates but because (1) they fell behind on the first few legs and basically only raced with Jen & Caroline so the other teams didn't get to know them and (2) by the time they caught up, it was team express pass that everyone hated. So now they are doing "under the radar" approach to the race with being "friendly" with Caroline & Jen and Bates & Anthony.

In another clip on the bathmat, Phil plays Chris Harrison and tries to get Bates to admit to which of Jen/Caroline he likes. No roses were exchanged but to see Phil almost eager to play match maker was pretty funny.
  16. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I was a bit glad that it was a NEL, too. I think they are decent racers, and are seriously nowhere near some of the dating disasters of past seasons that have been on this show. Although when it came down to them and the moms, I was seriously hoping the moms would make it to the mat first.
  17. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping that some day they get to work with oxen again, just so we can get a flashback of "My ox is broken" and Colin.
  18. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Does anyone else read the recaps on TWOP? I think they're hilarious, but I too often get an error message that I am forbidden access on that server. Are they just overloaded? It's annoying.
  19. Catherine M

I've noticed that the server on TWOP has been overloaded lately. Maybe they are doing an upgrade?
  20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think it would be very interesting if the Amazing Race portrayed black people as stereotypically as they do gay people... :yikes:
  21. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

You've seen all the lazy black people who can't swim on Survivor, right?

It would look a lot like that, I think.
    genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Considering the wide range of gay people that have been shown on Amazing Race over the years (married minister, father/son, Guidos, Youtube, etc.), I think you are currently stereotyping the producers.
  23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:huh: Which of your examples is not a stereoptype?? :lol:
  24. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Has Joey of Youtube said he is gay?

Even if he is, I'm not sure his squealing is TAR stereotyping, but rather him squealing. Are they just supposed to not show it? Maybe I'm stereotyping by assuming that is what is being talked about... :confused:

I agree with Rogue that they've shown a really wide range of gay people on the show. I don't think there was a common link in behavior among them all. They've also had at least a few gay racers whose "label" hasn't had anything to do with being gay. Youtube may be one example, unless I missed where he said he was. One of the Chippendales was gay, and I don't think that was ever mentioned.

I don't mind that there is a 'hook' of being a gay couple on this show, because there is also a hook of being a straight couple. Being a couple is something that can get you on the show. Same as "Judgemental Dad with gay son", well "Conservative Mom with adventurous daughter" can also get you on the show- so it doesn't seem like gay is something they stereotype and exploit.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  25. Prancer

Same with Keisha of the Sistahs.

My daughter used to subscribe to Joey and Meghan's YouTube show and sometimes forced me to watch, and what you see on TAR is what you get on the YouTube show, too. That's him. He's enthusiastic and dramatic; he does voices and squeals and spazzes while Meghan is steady and straightforward and smiles a lot.

So maybe TAR could refrain from casting people who fit stereotypes (except that it's hard to tell such a fast-paced story without easy characters), but I don't think they are portraying him in any way other that who he is, whether he is gay or not.
  26. genevieve

father/son is a stereotype? :huh:
  27. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

When I see Joey, I don't see gay. I just see annoying.
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

This.
  29. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

Me, too. I see someone who wants to make sure he gets a lot of air time!
  30. Catherine M

NCAA Basketball ran really late this evening so tonight's episode will be delayed alot in the US. Will now have to try to watch at the same time as episode 1 of the new season of "Call the Midwife".
  31. shan

shan Well-Known Member

32. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Bates and Anthony are :rockstar: Even with all the watercraft around them, there could have been a croc in the river. That took courage. The poor country girls are screwed. :lol:

Mrs. Mullet needs to catch a plane back home. I've no idea why she thought coming on the show was a good idea or why the producers chose her over other applicants.
  33. PrincessLeppard

The goats are adorable.

I think the country singers are getting the auf'ed edit. "God is awesome and we can only go as far in the race as He wants us to go." This might be it, ladies. :p

Although Wynnona must be really regretting not doing some of the easier roadblocks.
  34. Catherine M

Yay for Bates & Anthony winning another leg.

Wyona sure complains about everything. And was that squabble by the Roller moms the first sign on them not being so nice?!
  35. PrincessLeppard

I missed it. What happened to Max and Katie's car? (not the speeding ticket, the accident? or something?)

Looking up for the country girls.

edit: never mind. The replay showed them backing into a pole. Hee.
  36. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Pam and Winnie :wuzrobbed: I can't believe they thought a rhino was a hippo. That's too bad.

And cheese wheels in two weeks. :cheer2:
  37. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Although I like chuck and wynnona it cracks me up that he appreciates Africa by pointing out how much he wants to kill all the animals.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  38. PrincessLeppard

And mount them on the wall.

Sledding with cheese next week! Or in two weeks? Did I hear that right? *sob*
  39. Catherine M

How sad to loose Pam & Winnie on a mental task that Chuck and Wynona did!

Oh well now that they are out I can just root for Bates & "I'm missing my front teeth" Anthony!
  40. Prancer

I thought so, too, but they've actually been racing really well.

I couldn't tell if they missed the one silhouette the second time.

New! Improved! With snow!