TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

What made that episode really great besides the New Zealand scenery is that everyone had to drive. Really shuffles things up when teams can read a map and can't read a map.
  2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

We can stay at Phil's parents B&B
  3. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm in!!
  4. liv

liv Well-Known Member

So far loving the destinations these guys are going to... dream locales!!

Loved the obstcle course and LOVE the scenery.
  5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I HATE alliances and working together. :wall:

Sign me up!!!
  6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I think Papa/Son are done. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop out before leaving at the start of the next hour. Cause there's no way in hell they would survive all the way to the end anyway, so why keep going when he could injure himself even more? They got this far, got a 1st place prize, I think its time to give in. Wouldn't blame them at all for quitting with that injury. And its totally different than someone just "quitting quitting".

Did those poor doggies have to run thru those obstacles with the team member?! Or did they just run along side?

I hope they are taking notes at the Pit Stops. Phil actually introduced the doggie (whose name I have already forgotten!). That has gotta be a big sign that it will be on the final challenge for him to specifically say the name of the doggie.

Why did I know Mullet would choose the fishing challenge. He totally looks like a fishing dude. :lol: I could see that being a difficult challenge if you don't actually know how to fish or know what you are doing. It seems like its a lot more difficult than just throwing a line in the water.
  7. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I too noticed Phil mentioning the dog... I think his name was Tim if I remember correctly!
  8. Catherine M

The alliances being formed are beyond stupid. Ok, maybe I do understand the Hockey brothers wanting to work with the blondes as it seems to be based on a mutual attraction but the other "lets get together to get out the Hockey brothers" alliance seems very dumb. Just race please.
  9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I always wonder if these people were trying to get on Survivor. I know that people often try out for one and are referred to the other. But I don't see how a fan of TAR could think alliances are a good idea.
  10. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I agree with the whole alliance being crap thing! TAR is an individual race. Forming alliances doesn't do anything to help you in this show. It's based on your own decisions (which Detour to do) and abilities (can you read a freakin' map and drive a stick! :lol:). That's one thing I like about TAR more that Survivor. Survivor is basically nothing more than the cool kids ganging up on the "outsiders" and voting them off. TAR is based on your own abilities no matter who likes you or determines you can't be accepted by "the gang".
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  11. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I just have a general question. Why do people who are afraid of heights or can't swim or use the excuse that they are too old or fat to run fast enough (not the guy with the ruptured Achilles - he's my hero!!!) go on this show? I know, for the money. But if they can't swim in a challenge and it makes them last, they aren't going to win anyway. Have they ever watched the show? At least people have learned to drive a stick shift before they leave the US this time.
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

To be on tv? And get to go cool places until they finally get kicked off?

Besides, even sequestervile is a pretty nice vacation.
  13. Prancer

They also get paid even if they don't win just to for being on TV.

And people overestimate their own abilities all the time--as has been discussed already in this thread.
  14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

This is why I love this show. It just doesn't fit the cateogry of the other reality shows (like Survivor or Big Brother, which I enjoy), you can be good/hardworking/diligent/proactive/smart and nice/kind and win!
  15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I think the only time an alliance would be beneficial on this show would be in the event of a U-Turn. If you can make a deal with somebody to U-turn a stronger team (if you and alliance team get there first), that could help.

Beyond that, it's every bint for him/herself. :)
  16. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'd make an alliance with you. Right up until the point I needed to kick you in the ditch so I could get past you to get to the mat.
  17. Prancer

Teams can pass information to people in their alliances, too, which is great if you are the team behind, lost or confused, not so great if you are the team helping a competitor get ahead.

The alliance between the goat farmers and the dating couple last season was the worst ever--even worse than the Cho alliance. Be friends if you must. But wait around? In a race? Are people crazy?
  18. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Alliances are smart game play. People who want to be a "one man show" don't know about strategy. It's a race, but it's a game also, to win a million dollars. If working with others helps you out...or eliminates someone who could win the million over you - then more power to you. :respec:
  19. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Papa/son got the express pass because of an alliance...so I'm sure they're grateful for it. Alliances can only go so far, but I think they can be smart.
  20. Skittl1321

One of the recappers at televisionwithoutpity put it this way in the early days "Alliances only make sense if they are mutually beneficial and transitory". You can't be in an alliance for the entire game, it doesn't work that way. You shouldn't wait around, and once it gets to final 5 or so, it isn't in your best interest to help others. But if two teams can help each other out to prevent both of them from being eliminated in the early rounds, the alliance makes sense.

The express pass alliance worked because it allowed papa/son to get the express pass, and the team who had to give it was able to give it to a team who was no threat (I'm not sure they would have honored the alliance without the injury...) which is basically the best use of giving one away.

I think the strategy to play has also changed now that every leg ends in a prize. It used to be 'don't get eliminated', now I think there is a lot to be gained from actually coming in first. Since you have such a small chance at the final leg, and luck really plays a huge part in getting there, I would want to do what I could to get the mini-prizes when I can. That also effects views on alliances.
  21. Catherine M

There's an interesting insider clip up on the CBS site where Max and Katie talk to the camera about the obvious alliance forming between John/Jessica, Roller Moms and Meagan & Joey. Max even had plans to alert Caroline & Jen about it so if the three teams were trying to secretive about their alliance, it didn't last long.
  22. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Reminds me of Season 3 when all of those teams formed an alliance to get rid of the original Twinnies. That didn't work out so well, as the Twins actually made it farther than all, save one, of those alliance teams.
  23. Catherine M

Read on Twitter this morning that Jaymes' father passed away yesterday.

Very sad news as he and Jaymes seemed to have a special father/son relationship.
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Condolences to Jaymes and his family.
  25. PrincessLeppard

Is it normal to not be able to buy tickets at the airport? Is it a New Zealand thing to have to go to a travel agency?
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Airport :drama: makes me so nervous.
  27. PrincessLeppard

I would like to never hear the country girls sing again.
  28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: I was wondering if their taxi driver wanted them to shut it.

I think I could live with never hearing Joey speak "monkey" again. :scream:
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  29. PrincessLeppard

As annoying as Joey is, I know I'd be babbling like an idiot to the monkeys as well. :shuffle:
  30. Skittl1321

This has been the case in a few countries. Iirc, Vietnam did not let you enter the airport without a ticket.
  31. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yes but speaking to the monkeys is different than speaking for them. :lol:

Oh no I like the hockey players. :wuzrobbed:
  32. PrincessLeppard

I'd totally be doing that. I talk for my cats all the time. :slinkaway
  33. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl:
  34. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I want Connor for my partner when I go on TAR. That is one awesome kid.
  35. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oooh the express pass people are switching detours. That is good for the hockey players (unless they use said express pass).

I'm so excited about the dad/son coming in first.
  36. Skittl1321

Did the girl in the red rip her pants or is the ll cool j look supposed to be stylish.
  37. PrincessLeppard

I think it's time to use the Express Pass.
  38. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Bye bye express pass holders.

Is this the first time this has happened on the race?
  39. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I can't believe that John and Jessica didn't use the express pass. John's stubbornness really did them in.
  40. Skittl1321

It sure did. She wanted to use it the whole day.