TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I think Wynona was too busy trying to catch her breath the whole leg to have any time to be offensive.

2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Wouldn't that apply to what Wynnona said as well, then?

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is Richard Simmons a stereotype? Or a comparision?

She didn't call him gay, which would be a stereotype if it was based only on his clothes and manner. (If she did use the word 'flaming' then I'll take this statement back and say Wynnona was stereotyping, but I didn't hear that word.)

(ETA: She said "we got beat by Richard Simmons in the -funky- shorts and knee high socks.")

4. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Yes. Was anyone offended?

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Clearly PeterG was based on his post here.

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think the people on TV shows like The Andy Griffith Show, Hee Haw and Little House on the Prairie were all country bumpkins. Since I moved out of the city and am embracing small-town living, I think I'm moving towards country bumpkin-hood. And I'm proud of that. :D

As for the comparison to Richard Simmons, he's been considered a joke by many in the television industry, David Letterman being a prime example. Simmons is not held in esteem in the industry, but as a late-night talk show joke. (Well, for old people that is... :p) So comparing someone to somebody who others see as a effeminate/whack-job/has-been is definitely not a compliment. (And are we to believe that anybody is working out to their 'Sweatin' To The Oldies' videocassettes anymore? :lol:)

I would say "redneck" is as much a compliment as it is an insult. My Mom and I were talking about that word the other day and she said, "do you know how people got that name"? And I said, yes, it's because they work hard all day long outside until their neck gets sunburnt. I felt that these kind of people are doing some of the hardest, most important work out there and felt somewhat confused about how it became a slur. :confused:

But some people are awkward and unsophisticated, so it's not an insult, it's just fact. Personally, I don't see the appeal of being sophisticated. I like watching my reality TV in sweat pants while I eat Wagon Wheels. :D

7. Prancer

Oh, so it wasn't that you considered it a gay slur, but that you were offended that she compared what's-his-name to someone David Letterman makes jokes about?

And some people are effeminate/whack-job/has-beens, too, no?

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

No.

:confused:

I've stated that the word I used (bumpkin) was not meant as a "slur" and that I'm starting to think that I'm rather bumpkin-ish. To compare someone to a person who is considered a joke in their industry is not something I can see as being anything other than a slam.

9. Prancer

But you know that Wynnona meant her remarks as a slur because you know how she personally regards Richard Simmons, while Skittl should have known that you meant your insulting term with affection because of how you personally meant it.

10. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Really? Because I can't think of one occasion when I've heard it used where it was meant as a compliment.

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZY7PowZ328

Umm...yeah, because it's really 50/50 as to how Richard Simmons is viewed by the general public... Plus getting all huffy as if "bumpkin" is as offensive as the n-word or the f-word is beyond :rolleyes:

12. Prancer

We're not talking about the general public, are we? We are talking about something said by one person. And you were talking about late night TV show hosts.

Apparently at least some of the general public quite like Richard Simmons; otherwise, he wouldn't have much of a career.

As is acting as if you were accused of the equivalent of some dire insult :rolleyes:. If you don't think the comments you would get in those cases would be different, give 'em a try.

I couldn't care less if you think the country bumpkins are country bumpkins or hicks or hayseeds or anything else; it's this rather lame attempt to pretend that while you were angered by a "slur," you were in turn using a deragotory label with nothing more than affection that is :rolleyes:. Do you often respond to people who insult gays with terms of sincere affection?

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't think we're talking about the Amazing Race anymore, so I've sent you a private message Prancer.

14. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Just watched the episode (or what I could - as usual CBS' video viewer conked out partway through and I had to just listen to the last 10-ish minutes).

Glad the anti-TWINNIES! are gone. Please ceiling cat let there be no more talk of taking penalties this season.

Jessica & John are annoying. His headband makes him look like actor Matt Barr (Sully from the much beloved :p Harper's Island. I thought the 5 team alliance about the 2nd express pass was unwise, but having agreed to it, the only way to get out of it without looking like an ass is if the 2nd place team exits the race. John's proclamation about keeping the alliance quiet is stupid - but I'm sure he knows it just gives incentive to an enterprising other team to spill the beans so they have a chance for it. I do hope Dave's injury is not serious and he can continue in the race. He and Connor did a great job in recovering from the snorkle gear mishap. And how evil was it that they were allowed to ride all the way to the pearl diving location without the gear?

I really don't want to see or hear Hockey Brother dealing with his teeth all season :scream:

Country Barbies impressed me a little today :eek:

16. Prancer

Why are these people making alliances? It's a RACE!

17. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I was on the phone. Did Connor and dad use the express pass?

18. Catherine M

Yes but just to skip the detour. They are on their way to the roadblock so they have to do that to finish the leg. Connor will have to do it whatever it is.

19. PrincessLeppard

Would his dad not have been able to fish?

20. Prancer

They were afraid the fishing would take too long.

This schmozzle race is hilarious!

21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:rofl: :rofl: New Zealanders have a weird sense of fun. I'm following Phil's live tweets and he's cracking himself up watching.

22. Catherine M

This detour is crazy.

And lots of lost people in New Zealand!

23. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I'm PML'ing over the roadblack task concept :rofl:

24. PrincessLeppard

I would do that road block in a heart beat.

And I would've saved the express pass for something Dave (?) couldn't do.

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

is there anyone watching this who doesn't want to book a trip to New Zealand? Just gorgeous!

26. Catherine M

Figured it would be the dreaded "To be continued" when the detour barely started for most of the teams just a few minutes till the top of the hour.

27. Prancer

I wonder if they wish they had saved the express pass now.

28. PrincessLeppard

To be continued :mad:

I hope Dave and Connor at least try to keep going.

29. Catherine M

We should all get together and go as a group. FSU roadtrip to New Zealand with a stop off at Bora Bora!

30. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I have been so absorbed in the episode that I didn't realize the time running out for the episode, usually I can tell when it's TBC based on that. I was so surprised when Phil whipped out another clue and saw that it was 8:55!

BALI next week!! :cheer2: