TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

PML at Ride of the Valkyries as they take off on the jet skis.

I would love to do that helmet challenge, even with the stingrays.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Too funny! At the mat they referenced this. Even funnier since "prince William " didn't have his teeth in.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

dave and connor are awesome racers even with that :duh: mistake. I hope Dave didn't rupture his Achilles tendon. That would suck. The twinnie doctors are pathetic. I like Chuck and Wynona. Bless her. She's hanging in as best as she can.

I am not sad they're out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Prancer

These guys are so not TWINNIES!

5. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Haha!!No, not TWINNIES at all. Not sad to see them go.

If I was going to apply to be on Amazing Race, I'd be practicing my swimming, climbing, running, manual driving, geography skills and going out to as many ethnic restaurants as i could find!! It boggles my mind how many teams come unprepared after all this time!!!

6. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I couldn't believe how long it took the twins to decide to do the other detour. They were talking taking the penalty before even checking it out. Well-deserved loss.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

WHY WOULD YOU GO ON THE AMAZING RACE (let alone enter any race) WHEN JOGGING UP A TINY HILL IS MADE TO SEEM LIKE CLIMBING MT. EVEREST? (This means you, gay-slurring country bumpkins....)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Someone asked Phil if he was surprised that people would go on the show if they couldn't swim, and he said yes, but not as surprised as he is about people who can't drive a shift.

9. Skittl1321

Wait? I must have missed that, what did they say?

(However, interesting that you then resort to negative name calling of them...)

10. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Yes, Anthony does look like Prince William when you first look at him real quick like. And when he has his fake teeth in. He even admits to people telling him so in his bio interview on the CBS site. Really like him and his brother. Don't seem all that obnoxious and seem to get along well with each other and the other teams.

I really have no comment on the doctors coming on TAR without being able to swim. Obviously they have never watched the show before! And why didn't they change tasks right away!?!

And I wonder if production gave Pam & Winnie a hint that they were in danger of going out to sea? Lucky for them they still aren't wandering around the south pacific! Tough leg for them and they were only saved by the docs not changing tasks right off the bat.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'll never understand teams that don't prepare/have the basic skillset for TAR after all these seasons.
    How could the Dr's believe that they would be successful, with all their "issues".

12. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I believe I read somewhere that the Doctors were recruited ie they aren't fans of the show. As someone who works with medical students and residents every day I can see how the last 10+ years of their medical training they didn't have alot of free time to be watching TV so they might have not known just how much swimming/diving comes to play in the race. Or they thought it would be like last season where the syncro swimming detour was combined with the library one, a task firmly on ground.

That still doesn't excuse them from bleeding time with (1) arguing over quitting and (2) not switching tasks. I do think this is where not being fans of the show came into major play; any fan knows that if you see one detour option as a major hurdle, look into the 2nd one ASAP.

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I do not understand why in the world TAR "recruits" contestants when I'm sure there are plenty of teams who would love to be on the show but are turned down.

14. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Yeah, plus I can't imagine they were anything but duds in the per-selection interviews.

15. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I don't understand people who go on The Amazin Race without first learning to read a map.

16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

AMEN!! I think it should be 24 just to make sure people don't manipulate the penalty because taking the penalty saves more time than doing the task when its only 4 hours (due to waiting for attractions to open, waiting for flights, etc). I could live with a 12 hour penalty, but 4 hours is just way too short. There is really no consequence when you think about it. Look at those two teams who took it last week. They were down to only a 1.5 hour difference by doing nothing since the water taxi didn't open until 7:30a. And the fact that the Twins were willing to give up so easily at first. If they would have, with that measly little 4 hour penalty, there was a very good chance they they have survived some of those teams who actually did all of the challenges. Another reason why 4 hours is much too short. Minimum should be 12.

And why do you go on TAR without at least learning some basic swimming skills! How many times do we see that? You know there are going to be water challenges!! You can't really get over a fear of heights (and if I had that, I would just close my eyes, say God please don't let me die, and just do it!), but you can do something about the swimming. Take some lessons! The minute I started the application process, I would start taking swimming lessons and learn to drive a stick shift, just on the off chance I might make it. I can swim enough now to keep from drowning, but I sure as hell would be at the pool every day taking lessons if I planned on trying to get on this show. And I can't drive a stick, another thing I would be learning the minute I turned in an application.

But man that stilts challenge :eek:! My feet hurt just watching that!! I woulda been in serious trouble if I had to do that challenge. That looked painful!

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I did not watch until today, had to watch the Oscars.
    The twins, as I can't use any caps. Yes it was dumb about debating (plus I agree about the lack of swmming ability) which task to do and lose time, but they way they did the clams!!!! One clam at a time.
    I thought the You Tubes had a good method, the guy just kept getting them while she opened them, and other teams grabbing fast!
    To the twins - this was not surgery- why be so cautious and careful.
    I don't see Mullet and Wynona, Winnie and Pam(?) lasting much longer.
    Matt & Katie - seemed too focused on the other team and should just concentrate on getting their task done.
    Hate to see a team go out do to injury. Will be interesting if they do, the scrambling for 'their' express pass could be entertaining for us. You just know the minute they leave that is what the other teams from the 'alliance' will be working on.
    Phil - underwater - so fun!
    I want to go to Bora Bora - just beautiful
    I do enjoy how they show some pretty intelligent, professionally successful players, yet they lack 'common sense'.

18. Prancer

I attended a seminar a while back that covered the Dunning-Kruger Effect and all the examples that were used came from reality television :lol:.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wynona said something about Joey like "we got beat by Richard Simmons with the flaming short and kneehigh socks". Although Chuck was a much better sport as he high-fived Joey. (By the way, is "country bumpkin" a very offensive term from where you come from? :lol:)

20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It´s obvious to me the brothers have had swimming lessons. They wouldn't be able to do the little they did without having any. But their ability was limited and they likely only spent time in a pool. They could tread water but were unable to dive down under water. I think fear played a lot into that and open water is scarier than being in a nice sanitized pool. What they probably never really practiced in their lessons was diving for toys at the bottom of a pool. People should add that to their list of skills to practice in the future :D

21. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Where exactly in the world is country bumpkin not derogatory? ;)

22. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

While "country bumpkin" isn't exactly complementary, I don't think it's much more than mildly derogatory and certainly not highly offensive. I think there's also a slight tone of affection in the term. :) It's certainly not as harsh as "hayseed" or "rube" or "redneck."

23. Skittl1321

Yes, calling someone a bumpkin is offensive, and you clearly meant it in a derogatory manner.

I don't recall her saying "flaming" and didn't think the Richard Simmons comparison was derogatory, the shorts he wore the first leg ( with headband ) and the knee high socks basically was richard's typical outfit. Plus he had that extremely hyper always on personality. Due to wynnona's demographic I almost guarantee she used to do "sweating to the oldies". I really don't think it was a slur.

24. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I don't think country bumpkin is the slightest bit offensive. Plenty of country bumpkins I know use the term to refer to themselves as fun and almost "cutesy". I'm Australian and no one I know uses the term as derogatory at all...

25. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I think by definition alone one has to accept that bumpkin can be offensive. I can see where someone might jokingly say to a friend "you are such a bumpkin" but to call a couple who fit the stereotype country bumpkins can't be a compliment ;)

26. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I will admit to never watching before and only tuning in this year because of the former Carolina Hurricane making an appearance. :) Bates owns a bar here in Raleigh and is known as a really nice, approachable guy, so he might be able to stay in good graces with all of the teams. Except maybe the newlywed couple from He** who I already detest.

27. Skittl1321

From thefreedictionary.com
    "An awkward, unsophisticated person; a yokel."

I'd say that is offensive.

Now with many 'reclaimed' terms, yes they can be used in an affectionate, joking manner among friends, and people may call themselves that- but PeterG wasn't being affectionate, he was name calling people based on their stereotype, which I find funny because he was doing that after taking offense at them stereotyping someone else!

(I also found out from Wikipedia that Richard Simmons has never publically addressed his sexuality, so he may or may not be gay...)

28. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Isn't that up to the individual to decide? People can fit a stereotype and note it themselves and not be at all offended. I don't know anyone who would be offended by being called a country bumpkin. Even if you tell me it's an offensive term, I'm still not going to be offended by it.

Some people don't care if/that they're awkward and unsophisticated, some embrace it and are proud of it. Others just don't give a shit what people think. I don't think the term was used in a mean manner on the show at all, but that might be because I've never heard it used meanly. I think neither team was being mean.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  29. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I definitely didn't pick up on anything that Wynonna said as being offensive during the episode, I was so confused when I read on here that someone had an issue with something :confused: I don't find the "country bumpkin" term to be offensive at all. I'm actually dating someone who has referred to himself at that before.

30. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I´m not offended by it either, but I'm not a country bumpkin. If I were it might offend me. ;)

btw..I don't know if it was said on the show. I was just commenting on the comment on it in this thread. I find on Amazing Race they often have nicknames for different teams based on stereotypes and for the most part find they use them to identify the teams and aren't trying to be offensive so it doesn't really bother me.