TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Good start to the season.
    The Newlyweds - I don't like them, especially the female, but I hope they are around awhile - they seem entertaining in a different way than we have seen.
    2 Express Passes - interesting twist and looks like we will get some fallout - since they have awhile to actually give it to another team.
    The Doctors - yes - don't like them either, hope they are gone soon, they seem so smart, but don't want to go beneath their station.
    The Mullet - oh dear - horrible, but don't seem like bad racers yet.
    Sand Castle task - why didn't they just put the bucket over the existing castle and flip it over, dig and then flip back, instead of the scooping back into the bucket? Also they were able to talk to their partner, why didn't the partner help keep track of what had been done as a way to help?
    Too bad about the firemen, but the comment that they could win on the canoe race - underestimating females - I am ok with them being out.
    Glad the show is back and glad it was 90 minutes!

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

The MULLET is baaaaaa-aaaaaack. And not necessarily in a bad way. I somehow don't think they will last long because them seem a bit "slow" on the uptake of finding things and they don't look to be too physically fit. That being said, they'll likely surprise me and hang around for a while.

Newlyweds -- is that the one with the blond female who pretended to play nice when around peeps at the airport and then when it was time to talk "outside" of the comp let us in on how she really felt? UGH, not sure I'd want them around for too long.

The doctors -- holier than thou, they seem. And whining! Sheesh. I said to my hubby that if I was in such bad shape because of the heat on the sand, I'd ask if I could go dunk myself in the water, cooling off my body and my poor frizzled brain. I wonder if it was a possibility cause I did see some of the "diggers" getting water poured on them. If I couldn't go IN the water, I'd get my partner to get a bucket, fill it and drench me. :D

The sand -- being logical, I'd start one place and then likely go in a straight line. If someone found one while I was digging, I'd ask my partner to keep an eye on which one it was so I didn't go dig there. I also have to wonder if the original ones looked good compared to the ones redone. If there was a big difference in the appearance of new/old, then I'd skip the old. That being said, I think it was a crapshoot on finding one.

Quitters -- yeah, Phil didn't seem too happy to check them in. Notice that they have to start 4 hours later the next day rather than making them wait the 4 hours now. Is that new? I always thought quitting a task penalty was tacked on to the race that day. I can understand why Phil & company may not have wanted to have waited around for another 4 hours while the quitters sat out their penalty.

3. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

They would have had to have had those things with them. Did they have their backpacks?

I would have done that, too, except I don't think the others would have gone for the deal if anyone had held out.

I don't think the partners are allowed to help directly like that.

What would be the point of making them sit and wait for four hours for check in? The timer starts when they hit the mat, so the firefighters weren't going to catch up, as they were taking the penalty, too. If one of the teams hadn't taken the penalty, I am sure Phill would have made them sit and wait--they could be beaten by a team coming in. But that wasn't the case.

I am just shocked that people who had been at a task for three hours would think taking a four-hour penalty is a good idea. They must be gambling on bunching at the airport--which might not be such a bad gamble, given that they are in Bora Bora and there can't be too many flights out of there.

4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Deleted. My post is way to stoopid to leave since Garden Kitty just explained it below me. So I'll just delete it. :eek::

:lol:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

If they made them wait the 4 hours to check in, they'd still start 4 hours later the next day since the start times are tied to the "check in" times. In this instance, making them wait wouldn't change the outcome of which team was eliminated since all the teams had the penalty, so they probably just let them check in so that they didn't keep the crew hanging around for no reason. But they still get the 4 hour delay in starting the next day as if they had the penalty at check in so there is some disadvantage to them for quitting the task.

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Maybe they have to get up at 5am, go to the start mat...and then sit and wait there for four hours! :EVILLE: And the clock doesn't start until they hit that start mat (and stay on it for four hours).

7. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

I was wondering why none of them did this- I mean I'm sure the water is warm and it would be a temporary reprieve, but I have to think it would have helped. Maybe it wasn't allowed? I was recently in SE Asia and it was F-ing hot, so I can only imagine how brutal 3 hours in that hot sun would be. Heat stroke can sneak up on you and before you even get to that point you can still feel pretty terrible.

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I thought staying out in the sun while wet was equivalent to holding straw under glass with the sun streaming through it...

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't think it was any worse than not having some sort of hat on and wearing no sun BLOCK. :p Red Lobsters all!!!

10. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I too am baffled at how easily the three quit, and not just that they quit, but by the circumstances they did it. Leaving their position in the race down to a foot race? How STUPID is that. And also, all it would have taken was ONE team to say no, and they would have been the first person back. With no one else there, they could have re-made the castles as quickly and sloppily as they wanted, starting at the beginning and working systematically through the grid. Under no circumstances would that have taken any more than four hours, and they would have been able to check in before the others.

I get that the heat was making them not think clearly (I know I'm a wuss in heat), but still...if you're coming to these sort of conclusions this early in the race, it does not bode that well for you later on.

11. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Thank goodness the boring firemen are gone. Although I would have been fine with Team Country going as well.

Other than that not too much to dislike about the teams so far. I know Team Doctor Twinnies were a bit whiny, but I was :rofl: when one of them mumbled "Bitches!" when Team Youtube got the sandcastle clue. :rofl:

Maybe we could get a vBet going on whether Dad of Team Cancer will cry once each episode. :p

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per Phil on twitter, they could have jumped in the water but he says that people often don't think clearly under pressure and after "baking in the sun"

13. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I missed a bit coming back from commercial break when those last 3 teams were still at the sandcastles. Who suggested they all quit and take the penalty first? Were the firemen completely beaten to the mat, still in the water when the other teams checked in?

Because the firemen could have turned the canoe around and tried to complete the sandcastles for another hour or two...they could've tried to bypass the four hour penalty, once the other two teams had definitely taken it, right?

14. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I don't think they are allowed to reverse a decision to forfeit...they announced it to the camera, received the clue and took the penalty. There was no going back at that point.

15. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

It was the eville newly weds, Max & Katie that started the whole "lets all take the penalty". Both the blondes and firemen jumped right in and agreed.

And Spareoom is right, once the firemen announced to the camera that they were taking the penalty and got the clue, they could not go back to the sandcastles ie no changing their minds once they saw they were last in the water. And yes they were in the water still when the blondes checked in right after Max & Katie.

16. BaileyCatts

oooohhhh that's :EVILLE:. I LOVE IT!!! :lol:

I hope that is what ends up happening so they can't sit in comfort in their hotel room. Make 'em sit out in the heat right at The Mat.

17. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Thanks for catching me up. I thought they could've changed their minds, but you're right that since the clue was given in lieu of finishing the sandcastles their fate was sealed.

18. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

The truly evil person would have agreed with the other teams to take the penalty and then make sure they were third in line. After the other 2 teams took the penalty and had the clue, the evil team would have "changed their minds" and headed back to the sandcastles.

19. BaileyCatts

^^ Brilliant!! Future teams make note of that! :lol:

20. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Or decided once they found a clue, and pretended they didn't find the clue, hid it again, and all made the decision. Waiting until the other two made got the next clue, and then BAM! Show the clue they had in the sandcastle.

21. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

In the past, if you quit the roadblock you had to wait out the 4 hour penalty before you were given your next clue and were allowed to move on. I don't know, it seems like they're making things easier for the racers.

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Or the sun was going to set within that time and they wanted them to be able to canoe in daylight so they got good TV footage.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think if there had been any teams behind them, they would have had to wait, but there would be absolutely nothing to gain for anyone (including the viewers) for three teams to just sit in the sun by the sandcastles for 4 hours.

24. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

BTW, ratiings were 14% lower than the Feb 2012 TAR premier. This may not be as bad as it looks, but it can't be good.

25. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Considering how almost every other show has skidded in a downwards direction in the ratings (due to DVR, online episodes, and availability to watch episodes whenever and wherever convenient, etc), I'm not really that worried. TAR won its timeslot for the premiere, something that it wasn't able to do at all last season.

26. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I completely forgot it was on until my sister texted me. :duh:

Nobody annoyed me too much, except for newlywed blonde and her husband, but I kind of felt she was trying too hard to be a bitch, almost as if she decided that would get her the most screen time.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does the one hockey brother look like Prince William when you look at him quickly? Each time they show him my first impression is wow, that's just like Wills... but of course that changes when you look at him longer.

Cant' belive the doctors and their decision so far!

28. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

WHY DO YOU COME ON THE AMAZING RACE IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF WATER????

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Taking a penalty before even TRYING the task? Get off my show, twins. Go home. NOW.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Quitting a detour should still be a 24 hour penalty, six is too light. Helmet diving might be scary but it requires NO swimming skill.