TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

The final flight issue - I didn't love it, but the race has lost most of the magic of airport strategizing anyway, to be honest I barely noticed it. The spay challenge was cool, but it was a bit of the "needle in a haystack", and I thought it was a bit cruel to have a challenge that involves that much luck at the very end. Even though they're not as likeable as Bates and Anthony, Max and Katie were very good racers and I felt a bit bad that they basically lost it on that challenge.

3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I had to be out last evening but recorded TAR and just finished watching it. I was able to remain unspoiled and now can say Yeah for the hockey brothers :cheer: I was so afraid that Max, the smug, and his almost equally smug wife Katie would win!

4. Catherine M

But didn't the editing suggest that Max went by the guy with his briefcase? Or am I remembering it wrong?

5. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I missed that, but I'm not surprised. In addition to being physically capable, I think they were one of the smartest teams in TAR history. Not surprised by their win, but extremely satisfied. And Bates looks really hot with short hair. :)

Does anyone know: how deep was the water in the bog challenge? I'm not much of a swimmer, and I think I'd be really freaked out if I had to swim in muddy water that was over my head.

6. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

For once the team I was rooting for won the $1 million. It's been awhile. So glad that Republican Max lost just like his choice for President did!

Lilia A and (deleted member) like this.
  7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

very possibly...once B&A got theirs and it was obvious they'd win I started cleaning the kitchen and was more listening than watching :shuffle:

really? I think a lot of their success came from being in the alliance and getting help from the Country Barbies.

It looked pretty shallow to me, but it was hard to tell. At some places it looked like swimmers could touch the bottom while they were swimming - which would add to the disorientation, for sure.

9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I think I know what you referring to. Most of the spy's would say something like "Sorry" or "I can't help you". But one guy said a whole sentence to Max, and I also, at first watching it, thought he just raced past his guy. I watched back again and the guy said "You are not part of my mission" or something like that. More than the standard "Sorry can't help you" line, but he wasn't the right guy; he just said something different than most of the others, and it did seem like maybe Max had just raced past his guy with his clue watching it live.

10. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Max didn't really bug me too much, but Katie did and I think it's because she always looked (and talked) like she was just a hair away from a sneer. She is going to look downright evil by the time she's 50; her face is already set in some pretty nasty lines, but she's young enough that they aren't too visible yet.

Max had to have run past the right guy; he ran out of people to ask and found the right guy when he went back.

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Wheeeeee....I picked two/three finalists for the title. Where is Beefy with his game? :drama: This could have been my year to win.

12. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The spoilers I saw had all three female teams and Bates & Anthony as the teams running in DC. (I assume the fourth place teams runs it, too, as a decoy?).

So did someone think Max was a woman? :p

13. Prancer

TAR has eliminated pairs show up at clue and challenge locations in order to throw off spoilers. Sometimes there's more than one team running decoy.

But I could see someone thinking Max is a female from a distance. He looks short and slight and he was wearing those egregious neon yellow sneakers that my husband insists no one with any sense of his own masculinity would be caught dead wearing.

14. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

But he's a REPUBLICAN.

Do you think he doth protest too much? ;)

15. Prancer

When he announced that he was a Republican, I laughed, because I had just been telling my husband that both he and Katie have what I think of a Young Republican hair. His, especially.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Pretty satisfying ending to a good season. Some lovely places like Bora Bora n NZ and places I have been -Berlin, Edinburgh n Belfast. Team I did not like came in second! And a deserving team won!
    What I liked about the Hockey Bros is that they played, kept moving forward and did not tell us how smart and great they were. Some great moments, fun locals. And they thought they were getting a pic w the pres. LOL. I was trying to guess whether it was a cardboard cutout or an impersonator, didn't think of photoshop.
    Can't wait til next season!

17. BaileyCatts

Oh yeah, I know that he had to have missed him. But I was just telling Catherine when I remember that one guy saying something different, because as it was happening, I totally thought that was his guy and he just ran off without taking his bag because it happened so fast, and the guy spoke more than a word. I just assumed that is what she meant by her question about the editing, because if I had not watched it back again, I would still be thinking he talked to the right guy, but just didn't stay long enough to make his connection. That's what I meant.

18. Catherine M

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Bates/Anthony won this season!! :cheer2:

:rofl: that they're still arguing over that Titanic roadblock.

20. Catherine M

Yeah I'm sure Bates won't be letting Anthony forget about the Titanic roadblock for awhile. He might have struggled with getting the dishes all right and dropping plates all over the place but he did great at the end with getting all the countries right. I'm not sure Bates would have been as strong in the globe pit so it all balanced out.

On one of the extra clips on the CBS website, Phil said that they never thought anyone would do the finale course so quickly so Bates & Anthony really must have been far ahead of other two teams--probably around an hour or so.

21. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Hockey should have lost for the dreadful Oirish accents. :p

Bit of a predictable final leg. Undoubtedly the strongest team won, but :yawn:

PML at the gullibility of all three teams thinking that the President of the United States would have time to hang around and be part of a clue though. :rofl:

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm having TAR withdrawal. I wish this was a year long show. Every week, the last at the mat would get replaced with a new team.

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

How does someone win that?

I did a TAR1 marathon this weekend. I adore everything about that season.

24. BaileyCatts

^ Where did you watch Season 1? I didn't start watching until about 6 episodes into the first season, so would love to see the original episodes.

25. Skittl1321

The DVDs were released in 2005, I've had them since then. They are actually a nice set of DVDs because they (and Rob/Amber's season) were a 'real' DVD release, not the amazon print on demand with no special features all the other seasons are gradually getting.

26. Catherine M

I didn't start watching till season 4 so I'd love to see seasons 1-3. I've seen some of the international versions on pop up on Youtube (I watched one of the seasons of the Chinese version a couple months ago that was fun) but never the American cause of CBS checking for copyright violations.

27. Skittl1321

There are lots of streaming services that have them available for a low fee. The DVDs unfortunately aren't cheap because they are the on-demand ones. Used copies don't come up that often either :( At least not at the like $0.99-$5 that I pay for other shows.

28. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I've just begun rewatching AR #18 & try & watch 2 or 3 episodes per week for the month of May. Then in June, I'll do 19, July 20 & possibly 21 in Aug. I fortunately began recording them with AR 1 back in the day & try & rewatch 3 or 4 Races every year. And I do them consecutively, so it's been awhile since I watched the early races.