TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Bates has the long hair. Anthony has short hair and no front teeth (when he's not wearing his dentures).

2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

The vibe I get from Max and even more so from Katie is that they are all about winning and defeating the unworthy pests who continue to somehow challenge them in spite of their complete superiority.

3. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

exactly! They have annoyed me with their superior attitude from day one.

eta, since they performed rather abysmally to middle of the pack for most of the race, I'd say their attitude was somewhat delusional. Hoping Bates and Anthony take it all, and roller derby moms / country Barbies round out the top 3.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

The speed bump almost seemed to help the Roller Derbys since it made them more focused on completing the tasks asap.

Shame for team YouTube but they had a good run at least.

5. Prancer

I expect that they have been telling themselves that they've just had some bad luck; otherwise they would have won every leg.

A lot of pairs start the race with the attitude that they are the best and will and should win every leg because they are just that much better than everyone else, but it's usually been beaten out of them by this point.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I thought Katie was all about winning. "You won 10,000 dollars!!!" "We beat Bates and Anthony!!"

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

When PL and I compete, she'll be the nice one and I'll be the "let's :kickass: one" Alliances are made to be broken when it's no longer convenient. We play to win.

8. Prancer

I play to win. Who doesn't play to win?

But there's a difference between looking at your competition and thinking, "That's who I have to beat. Bring it on, " and looking at your competition and thinking "THAT'S who I have to beat? They couldn't have pitted me against someone worthy of my efforts?"

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I would have no issue U-turning anyone, especially if I knew they were right behind me.

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:lol: All those good sports who think all the kiddies should get to play. It is true that one shouldn't become complacent about one's opponents and take them for granted. That's how that silly hare lost the race.

11. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I was screaming at the hockey brothers last night. They should have frickin uturned Katie and Max. Alliance be damned. For that matter Katie and Max should have uturned country Barbies

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Just found out that the hockey boys played college hockey for Western Michigan and juniors for the Kalamazoo Wings. All the more reason for me to cheer for them. :)

13. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I absolutely loved this episode! It was so cool to actually see it set in places I know - I had a wee scream when I saw Linlithgow Palace appear at the beginning of the intro to Scotland (that's my hometown) but they didn't go there in the end. Still it was amusing enough listening to my friend scream at the idea of the last two teams being left to run around Craigmillar in the dark :scream: (slightly scary area of the city!) and then us both laughing hysterically about the teams trying to drive around the city centre and park the cars without getting lost, stuck in a one way street, stuck on a bus only road, or even worse lost in the middle of the tram-works of doom.

I'm still rooting for Bates and Anthony to win. I like the Country Barbies too so I'd like to see them in second. Max and Katie have irritated me from the start and the roller derby mums... well, they lost it for me when they started slagging off haggis! I know it looked mingin' on the programme, but in our defence we don't actually cook them in intestines anymore - they come in a plastic bag now!

14. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

TAR is one of my favorite TV shows!
    Today I have seen a TV commercial for Israel's version of the TAR. It will be season # 3.
    Thought to share it with you. :)

PeterG, UMBS Go Blue, jamesy and 3 others like this.
  15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Dammit why I was taking a sip of my Coke when I read this! :rofl:

Sorry to see You Tube go. I liked them. He was funny. Pretty much knew one of those two was doomed once they showed they were on a flight landing some 2+ hours later. Sort of anti-climatic for me after that.

Gawd I hate Max & Katie!! While I want the Hockey Boys to win the most, I'll take anyone but Max and Katie winning please!

16. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I'm hoping Max & Katie win! :EVILLE:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Surprise, surprise. :scream:

:p

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm sorry to see YouTube go - I really liked them, wish they'd gotten a better edit at the beginning (I just vaguely remember them as one of the original alliance teams, otherwise they didn't stand out).

I get why Team Hockey and Max/Katie stuck to the plan - anyone from their alliance was going to still be in the game after that leg and who needs to make enemies at this point who may go out of their way to take you down? And I also see why they wouldn't waste the U-Turn. But it still sux and I don't want the top 3 teams to gang up on Roller Derby in the finale.

Max and Katie seem like awful people to know in real life, but on tv they are somewhat redeemed by the fact that Max is a total dork who seems to need a gold star any time he does anything remotely competently, and Katie seems to save most of her disdain for the main she just promised to spend the rest of her life with. Aka, lots of opportunities to watch stuck up people get their comeuppance.

19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I liked them too, somewhat surprisingly so. At the beginning, I found Joey way too over the top and Meghan didn't stand out at all, but Joey's enthusiasm for everything on the race endeared him to me and Meghan turned out to be a really sweet girl once we saw more of her.

20. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

(I don't hate them.... :shuffle:)

I'm glad Screech is gone. I couldn't take it. Meghan seemed nice, but Joey's attention ho-ing really got on my nerves.

Disappointed and somewhat surprised that not one team pronounced Edinburgh correctly.

21. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I found another article with a bit more detail. One played for Western Michigan and the other for Lake Superior State (in Michigan's Upper Peninsula).

Anthony wants to be a firefighter when he stops playing (minor league) hockey:

Bates was the one who played in the NHL and currently co-owns a bar:

22. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Me too, but I thought Bates and Anthony said it correctly when they got the first clue at the mat.

23. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Time for the finale!!! :cheer2:

24. Catherine M

I'm kinda sad its the last leg as I've really enjoyed this season.

25. PrincessLeppard

I would totally bog snorkel. Just so I could drop that into casual conversation. "I went bog snorkeling."

26. PrincessLeppard

Why is Mona freaking out?? :confused:

27. Fridge_Break

:slinkaway I hope someone completely biffs it going down the stairs with their tray of food... :lol:

28. PrincessLeppard

And your wish is nearly granted. :p

29. Catherine M

Poor Jennifer and Caroline are having the worst day ever.

And the Roller moms are totally messing this up too.

30. Fridge_Break

This may be the most poorly performed penultimate leg on TAR history :lol: