TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think Chuck and Whine-ona are toast barring some freak disaster by youtube.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Was the upside down sled strategy or stupidity?

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh no I think I jinxed youtube.

4. Skittl1321

Omg. How did YouTube not find a taxi???

And a penalty for C/W. drama.

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Chuck and Wynonna Effed up. YouTubes have 30 minutes to find a taxi. Glad Wynonna is going home, but I'll miss Chuck.

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at Wynona standing there like a statue while Chuck talks a out her like she's his prize horse or something.

7. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Thank god Wynona is gone. Her whining was so annoying.

Switzerland is soooo beautiful. Must go there!

8. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Very grateful to the 30 minute penalty for sure.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

to be honest, I think Whine-onna was just as grateful as we are that her cheese rolling stunt incurred the penalty.

going down the mountain seemed a lot easier this time around, but going up was brutal. Especially after the chaotic day of travel...just how many trains did they take in one day?!?

poor Meghan...she's been pretty good about things as far as I can recall for the race, but walking the whole way when everyone else took a cab. I'm glad they didn't get eliminated. And looking at next week. can you imagine Joey doing that skydiving task? :rofl:

10. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Whineona and cheese :lol: Chuck probably wanted to roll her down the mountain along with the cheese with the hope that she'd turn into a giant snowball. I'm glad to see the last of her, especially since next week includes a sky diving/bungee task. I shudder to think about how she would have whined if she had had to do that.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  11. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Just as I suspected, the snow actually helped the racers. I'm sure it was hard, but it actually looked kinda fun. Glad to see Chuck and Whine-ona gone. Oh and how cute were the dogs? Lovely.

Next week: Bungee woooooooo :D Can I please be in the race? I will gladly do all the scary height and water tasks. All I need is a partner with faulty taste buds who is willing to do the gross food tasks. That's all I ask for.

12. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I would need a partner to do the gross food tasks and anything involving heights. :wideeyes:

13. genevieve

I'm one of those losers who would need the other person to do all the driving and the gross food challenges

I'd do all the water and height challenges though! I might well kvetch during some but I'd do 'em!

14. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Have they been doing more animal-related tasks than in past seasons? In New Zealand, they had the obstacle course with the dog; In Indonesia, they had the monkeys with the coconuts; In Vietnam, one of the tasks involved carrying live chickens; Botswana, everyone did the scorpion task and some did tasks involving trapping the guineafowl and using a team of donkeys; and now, in Switzerland, they had the rescue dog task. The only place that didn't really have an animal task was French Polynesia, though pearl diving does involve oysters. There also was that weird bit with Phil introducing Tim, the dog that was at one of the pit stops.

I'm wondering if that is more than coincidence and animals (or dogs) might play a role in the final episode puzzle.

15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^ Wow. Interesting observations because until you said that, it never even occured to me! You get the gold prize if that turns out to be try about animals in the final challenge! :lol: I definitely did pick up on Phil introducing the dog (and promptly forgot his name by the end of the show), but never noticed the animals link at all.

I probably wouldn't be writing something like that in my journal (uhm, they are allowed to keep journals, right? to keep notes about tasks to prep for that final challenge, which everyone knows will be some kind of memory test?).

16. BaileyCatts

I'll take stupidity for $100, Skittl. :p

And I never even picked up on that mistake as they were doing the challenge. When Phil said penalty, I was like YES cause I want them gone, but WHAT?? cause I didn't notice anything. I did notice the close-up of the sled as Wy left it behind, but I didn't pick up on the fact that it was a mistake.

I kept yelling for You Tube to just get to that sled climb AHEAD of Wy because she would have held them up forever.

And based on the fact that You Tube basically WALKED up a freaking mountain (why did they not take a taxi! everyone else found one so easily! did they think they HAD to walk it??), yet still beat out the 30 minute penalty, it must have taken C&W a long time to do that task.

And I also want to know why You Tube had to wait for Wy to finish. I think someone said there were two lines ... why didn't they go to the other line when she was taking so long?? Guess it doesn't matter now and I'm so glad Wyner is gone, but why did they have to wait??

17. Skittl1321

That wasn't their mistake though (I don't think Phil penalized them for using the sled wrong, but for when they decided to stop using them.) After they fell off the first time, I noticed he had turned his sled right side up to try again, Wynonna ditched hers entirely. Then, he started rolling the cheese as well, but kept dragging his sled.

I thought they wouldn't get their clue because we saw the shot of Wynonna's sled still on the hill.

I'm looking forward to their video recaps to see if this is explained. They asked for direction to where they could get a taxi, got there, there were no taxis, so I don't know if they did it wrong, or if they got bum directions- but man that had to have SUCKED.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I didn't care for Wynonna, or Chuck.

She was not ready for the AR experience.
    I wonder if he forced it on her.

Chuck was dreadful; berating her at every opportunity.
    He always seemed to think it was OK; that she "liked" it.
    It was plain that she didn't.

Are they still together?

19. genevieve

I also thought they would not get their clue because of ther shot of the sled at the top of the hill - but then we saw them carting the cheeses to the bard on sleds, so I thought they'd gone back and we just didn't see it cause it didn't affect the outcome (like how we didn't see any of the other teams depart once A&B discovered all teams would be on the same plane).

When Chuck and Whine-onna were...somewhere (at one of the train stations?)....she was bitching to the camera about how he never treats her right, and he was standing behind her reading something, and after a pause she said it again, I felt like it was a glimpse into their entire relationship. She's completely passive agrressive, and he deals with it by ignoring her indirect whining.

As for YT waiting to do the lateral climb, I bet either teams had to stay in the line they originally chose, or (more likely) they just didn't know everyone else had finished. It looked like the other line was on a different floor, so they wouldn't have seen how many teams were left.

20. Catherine M

The interviews with the eliminated teams usually come out on Tuesday/Wednesday. It will be interesting to see if their shaky marriage survived a 2/3 trip around the world!

21. genevieve

I don't know that their marriage seemed all that shaky...I have the feeling the bickering is the norm, although Wynnona was WAY outside her comfort zone on this one. I thought there was a lot of love in there even though she was perpetually stressed to the max.

22. Catherine M

Didn't Wynona say in one of the early episodes that things were shaky and that's one of the reasons she went on the race with Chuck, to fix things!?! I remember reading alot of "who goes on the race to fix things" on TWOP.

23. genevieve

oh really? I missed ep 1, that does put a different lens on things....but yeah, anyone who goes on this (or any other reality competition) to fix their relationship is nuts.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

At least they didn't look like they were at each mother's throats in the side interviews. Wynona looked much more relaxed probably because they were out. I always wonder how teams make it onto the show. I wonder if Chuck's hair helped. :lol:

25. Skittl1321

I don't remember Chuck and Wynonna being a 'fix the marriage' couple, like so many on TAR are. If they were, they certainly haven't brought it up much, as couples with that hook always have. I thought they were more "crazy hunter with mullet" both points of which have been brought up throughout the race.

26. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Couples say that and similar things on TAR, but most of them do just fine after the show. Of all the couples who have been in TAR, I can think of only two marriages that broke up--Jonathan and Victoria and Uchenna and Joyce. Most of the dating couples are still together, many of them now married with kids, and the friends are still friends.

So I think to some degree, the story lines are just hooks--a way to get on the show and a story to tell the audience as the show goes on.

I think Chuck and Wynnona will be fine. Their bit was, I think, that they had drifted apart. I don't see things getting any worse for them because of this show.

27. Catherine M

28. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Of the dating couples, Peter & Sarah (TAR10) and Nate & Jen (GOSH! TAR12) are no longer together. Sarah actually pretty much dumped Peter on the mat. :p Brian & Erica from TAR 15 are divorced, as well.

Several dating teams have gone on to get married -- Ernie & Cindy, Brendon & Rachel, the one couple who won season 15 by a landslide who's names I can't remember, Chad & Stephanie (have a kid now)

29. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Don't forget about fake All Star team Eric and Danielle. Unless you meant couples that were actually dating for realz.....

30. BaileyCatts

Jonathan and Victoria I totally understand ... but Uchenna and Joyce? She's the one who did the shave your head FF, right? Wow. I didn't know that they got divorced (and if I did I don't remember).