TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

You've seen all the lazy black people who can't swim on Survivor, right?

It would look a lot like that, I think.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Considering the wide range of gay people that have been shown on Amazing Race over the years (married minister, father/son, Guidos, Youtube, etc.), I think you are currently stereotyping the producers.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:huh: Which of your examples is not a stereoptype?? :lol:

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Has Joey of Youtube said he is gay?

Even if he is, I'm not sure his squealing is TAR stereotyping, but rather him squealing. Are they just supposed to not show it? Maybe I'm stereotyping by assuming that is what is being talked about... :confused:

I agree with Rogue that they've shown a really wide range of gay people on the show. I don't think there was a common link in behavior among them all. They've also had at least a few gay racers whose "label" hasn't had anything to do with being gay. Youtube may be one example, unless I missed where he said he was. One of the Chippendales was gay, and I don't think that was ever mentioned.

I don't mind that there is a 'hook' of being a gay couple on this show, because there is also a hook of being a straight couple. Being a couple is something that can get you on the show. Same as "Judgemental Dad with gay son", well "Conservative Mom with adventurous daughter" can also get you on the show- so it doesn't seem like gay is something they stereotype and exploit.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. Prancer

Same with Keisha of the Sistahs.

My daughter used to subscribe to Joey and Meghan's YouTube show and sometimes forced me to watch, and what you see on TAR is what you get on the YouTube show, too. That's him. He's enthusiastic and dramatic; he does voices and squeals and spazzes while Meghan is steady and straightforward and smiles a lot.

So maybe TAR could refrain from casting people who fit stereotypes (except that it's hard to tell such a fast-paced story without easy characters), but I don't think they are portraying him in any way other that who he is, whether he is gay or not.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

father/son is a stereotype? :huh:

7. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

When I see Joey, I don't see gay. I just see annoying.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

This.

9. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Me, too. I see someone who wants to make sure he gets a lot of air time!

10. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

NCAA Basketball ran really late this evening so tonight's episode will be delayed alot in the US. Will now have to try to watch at the same time as episode 1 of the new season of "Call the Midwife".

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Bates and Anthony are :rockstar: Even with all the watercraft around them, there could have been a croc in the river. That took courage. The poor country girls are screwed. :lol:

Mrs. Mullet needs to catch a plane back home. I've no idea why she thought coming on the show was a good idea or why the producers chose her over other applicants.

13. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The goats are adorable.

I think the country singers are getting the auf'ed edit. "God is awesome and we can only go as far in the race as He wants us to go." This might be it, ladies. :p

Although Wynnona must be really regretting not doing some of the easier roadblocks.

14. Catherine M

Yay for Bates & Anthony winning another leg.

Wyona sure complains about everything. And was that squabble by the Roller moms the first sign on them not being so nice?!

15. PrincessLeppard

I missed it. What happened to Max and Katie's car? (not the speeding ticket, the accident? or something?)

Looking up for the country girls.

edit: never mind. The replay showed them backing into a pole. Hee.

16. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Pam and Winnie :wuzrobbed: I can't believe they thought a rhino was a hippo. That's too bad.

And cheese wheels in two weeks. :cheer2:

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Although I like chuck and wynnona it cracks me up that he appreciates Africa by pointing out how much he wants to kill all the animals.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. PrincessLeppard

And mount them on the wall.

Sledding with cheese next week! Or in two weeks? Did I hear that right? *sob*

19. Catherine M

How sad to loose Pam & Winnie on a mental task that Chuck and Wynona did!

Oh well now that they are out I can just root for Bates & "I'm missing my front teeth" Anthony!

20. Prancer

I thought so, too, but they've actually been racing really well.

I couldn't tell if they missed the one silhouette the second time.

New! Improved! With snow!

21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:wuzrobbed Pam & Winne :fragile:

that riding task really took a long time just for one time through. I'm surprised Chuck and Wynnona didn't do the "braun" one, but it worth it to hear Chuck express how awesome it is to be in Africa and see all the exotic animals he wasn't to kill :yikes:

yay to see derby moms and the country barbies kicking butt on the donkey challenge :kickass:

christ on a crutch, Max and Katie are a disaster.

22. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

What an episode. I didn't expect Pam and Winnie to be eliminated today.

The baby goats were just too cute. Love them, love them.

I also thought that the country girls were toast the minute they started praising God, and then they got the speeding ticket. I thought this was it for them but they actually did pretty well. Meghan and Joey must have been very lost to still be behind Max and Katie after they had been pulled over and paid a speeding ticket.

Why must we wait two week? Unfair :wuzrobbed

But excited to see the cheese challenge come back. Actually I think the snow will make it a little easier. They can use the snow to stick the cheese on the floor if they need to and the racers could just slide down instead of having to run/walk while trying not to fall (I remember the hill was very steep and it was hard to maintain balance, cheese-bearing or not).

23. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Pam & Winnie :wuzrobbed

Max backing the car right into a pole after paying a speeding ticket :rofl:

Donkeys <3 Cheesewheels in a few weeks!!!

And I'm pretty sure I saw someone tumbling down the hill after their cheesewheel with a Travelocity Roaming Gnome in their hand :lol:

24. Catherine M

I still don't understand why Pam & Winnie bailed on the donkey task so easily. Why they didn't want to race with the other two all female teams is beyond me but once they got something in their heads--not wanting to do tasks with other teams--it seems to have stayed there.

So now its Bates & Anthony and their 3 wins and 5 other teams that are stumbling their way around world. Hopefully one of the five can push the Hockey bros in the coming legs!

25. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Noooo!!! Pam and Winnie!!! Hopefully they'll be invited back for an All Stars editions.

Chuck is actually a pretty good racer. Over on TWoP they're calling Chuck and Wynona, "McMullet and Wife". :rofl:

The part where the country singer girl (still can't tell them apart) said, "Hi, babies!" to the goats and then the goats scattered brought back memories of Zac and Flo from S3. Ahhh, memories...

26. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Poor little baby goats. I was worried they might try to jump out of the boat on the river and become like, uhm, lunch for the crocs. :yikes:

I can't believe Hockey Boys did that FF! That would scared the crap outta me and I don't think I could have done it. I would be to worried about the crocs to keep my concentration on the skis. I've never water skied, but I've heard people say it is very difficult to get up out of the water and stay that way. That was a pretty long way they had to go and to get it done on one try was pretty amazing.

Donkey's donkey's donkey's. :lol: I loved how they just stood there looking at the racers like why you yellin' at me fool! Just give me a push and I'll go. Who knew it would be a memory challenge, and not donkey's, that were Pam and Winnie's downfall. Although if there was no picture of a hippo to even choose from (which I don't think there was), I would have been a little confused about the "bird on a hippo" one too.

Does anyone know how long the Horse challenge took? They were moving so slowly I'm thinking at least 30 minutes or more.

27. liv

liv Well-Known Member

That was good fun.

So glad that Bates andn brother were able to do the fast forward. That was not that easy, even though it was made clear they'd waterskiid before....I thought it was funny that Bates made sure to quip to the camera about the obligatory shirtless bit and then one time flexed his muscles... he's very aware of his audience. it cracked me up.

Sad to see the girls go, I enjoyed their humour but thought they abandoned the donkeys a little too quickly considering they were with other teams in the same situation.

I'm so excited for Cheese Rolling. I think that was one challenge that made me almost pee with laughter... i hope the classic revisited lives up to the billing.

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Ah such memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7sfgkkNa8

I forgot that that was the season of Margie/Luke, Kentucky couple, and other memorable people. :lol: Love the guy scooting down the hill "Don't let a cheese hit me."

29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ OMG! And now they gotta do it in snow? That should be another classic.

Although the way the local boys are laughing kinda makes me think they didn't really have to carry them on those wood things, or else they were wearing them wrong or something?

30. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Note how the God-bothering country singer's didn't claim it was God's will that they got a speeding ticket. :p