TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I've read that of the six-member B52 crew, two were killed and the other four were held as POWs and later released.

Regarding the memorial, I would think any memorial memorializing the Vietnamese victory would have been equally criticized by Fox News. Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with using the B52 memorial. Might it be uncomfortable for Americans to see? Perhaps. But TAR has shown other nationalistic sites before and other war-related locations before. This one is different because it is related to a war the US lost and the memorial directly reflects our loss. But that was 40 years ago and we have had normalized relations with Vietnam for decades.

Moreover, to the Vietnamese the B52 reflects a victory over an invading force who carpet-bombed a civilian population, killing thousands. The US has so rarely been invaded that we may not relate to that experience. So I don't know if the Vietnamese look at the B52 and think of it as a plane with six men aboard or as something much more symbollic. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are local and state monuments around the US at one time that might have been of similar ilk, relating to battles from the Revolutionary War, French and Indian War, War of 1812, Civil War, and the Indian Wars in terms that might be viewed as celebrating victory over an enemy in ways that would be viewed as insensitive. For instance, after the war between the Dakota Souix and the new government of Minnesota, 303 Native Americans were convicted and 38 hanged. A six-foot tall marker was erected as a monument to mark the spot where the bodies were buried in shallow graves and remained until it was stolen 150 years later (a picture is here). Or how about this Spanish-American War monument in Connecticut that is made from a cannon captured from a Spanish war ship? The Iowa statehouse also has a "war trophy" cannon as a monument. Presumably, soldiers died in the battles in which those trophies were captured.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

This is how I saw it.

The memorial and the song were totally :eek:, but I took it in as acknowledging the difficult history between US/Vietnam in a way that didn't take over the episode.

ITA

3. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Unfortunately, the B-52 in conjunction with the show made me start singing "Roam if you want to..."

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Intro to this episode was an apology to veterans. Phil read a long statement about respect for veterans. Vfw really clinched it I think. Sure its a great thing to Vietnamese but for an American show It was weird!

5. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Okay, enough with the Vietnam controversy. Let's race in Botswana!

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at the scorpion roadblock. :blah: at Wynonna.

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Bates and Anthony win! :)

And Wynona finally does a task. :p

8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Botswana is at the top of my bucket list. I want to follow Ma Ramotswe's pathway to Gaborone. And I hope they paid the San well for appearing. They are very much 2nd class citizens in their own country.

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love the bushman. :cheer: hockey bros.

10. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I'm loving this episode! :cool:

11. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Love the hockey brothers. They are very funny and did great on making fire real quick.

Wonder if they'll take the blondes to Thailand!?!?

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at how the players have to do animal calls.

13. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I want to work with donkeys in Botswana!

14. Catherine M

Next week with bad tempered donkeys looks great!

15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I hate non-elimination rounds when a team I hate doesn't get the DQ. Now if its a team I like ... then I love NEL's. :p

Wow. So Wynonna ffiinnaallyy does a task (and still complained about it). I still see them getting the next elimination though.

I thought that Fowl detour was they had to trap an actual live game hen, so right away I picked fire also. Then when I saw all they had to do was build the trap it was a :duh: moment for me. I would have picked fire because I thought you had to catch a game hen in the trap.

Donkey's next week! :cheer: I luvs donkey's. I just hope the teams I hate get the stubborn ones.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the donkeys!!

I hope none of them are broken. :lol: :lol:

17. genevieve

why oh why oh why would anyone pick the fire challenge??? Especially when several teams all but told us they watch Survivor?!? :p

I didn't think this would be an NEL...partially because I forgot last week wasn't an NEL, but also because we got the requisite ugly american comments from Katie, which would indicate a comeuppance was nigh.

Chuck's hair is getting more incredible by the episode :lol:

18. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

The minute I saw the fire challenge, I thought everyone would pick the snare. Hockey dudes clearly had some understanding of the process, the rest were pathetic. :lol:

Scorpions were :yikes: but strangely fascinating.

Loved bushmen, they really made the challenges interesting. Overall a very good episode, and can't wait for the donkeys next week. Unlike shan, I am hoping for a broken donkey! :EVILLE:

19. Catherine M

Someone pointed out on Survivor sucks that the first leg in Africa after a long, long flight has always been a NEL leg so no surprise that Max & Katie were saved.

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:respec: Hockey guys!! They're my favorites (which means they will be eliminated in either of the next two episodes). :scream:

I also enjoyed the bushmen and their comment about Joey being scared directly after he proclaimed himself "Scorpion King" :lol:

:lol: at broken donkeys, it would probably make for great TV. Here's hoping Katie gets a broken one!!

21. genevieve

interesting!

22. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I know, right? I've watched Dual Survival, and sometimes even Cody, experienced survivalist and fire-making expert, has trouble starting a fire. I was so surprised that almost everyone went for that challenge. Unless there's a Bic involved, stay away from fire-making challenges!

I was also a bit curious last week when they went to the B-52 memorial and nothing was really said about it. Usually when they go to to a memorial, they say something about the lives lost, etc. Now I see why. I'm a horrible American and didn't know the history of the memorial other than it was from the Vietnam War.

I started hearting Max when he couldn't contain his wonderment at John and Jessica not using the Express Pass. And then this week, the whole thing about closing his mouth on the scorpion task was hilarious. I may be alone in this, but I'm glad it was an NEL.

23. liv

liv Well-Known Member

i am looking forward to the donkey challenge. That is always fun and unpredictable.

Love the hockey players. They're really talking up those blondes!!

Too bad it was a NEL. I could have done with getting rid of those two...

24. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I'm to the point where I'd rather have Joey gone. Too much squealing this week.

25. Catherine M

I too would love to see Joey go next. He is beyond annoying.

Max and Katie have an interesting extra clip on the CBS site where they say that their plan going into the race was to be the team everyone hates but because (1) they fell behind on the first few legs and basically only raced with Jen & Caroline so the other teams didn't get to know them and (2) by the time they caught up, it was team express pass that everyone hated. So now they are doing "under the radar" approach to the race with being "friendly" with Caroline & Jen and Bates & Anthony.

In another clip on the bathmat, Phil plays Chris Harrison and tries to get Bates to admit to which of Jen/Caroline he likes. No roses were exchanged but to see Phil almost eager to play match maker was pretty funny.

26. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I was a bit glad that it was a NEL, too. I think they are decent racers, and are seriously nowhere near some of the dating disasters of past seasons that have been on this show. Although when it came down to them and the moms, I was seriously hoping the moms would make it to the mat first.

27. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping that some day they get to work with oxen again, just so we can get a flashback of "My ox is broken" and Colin.

28. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Does anyone else read the recaps on TWOP? I think they're hilarious, but I too often get an error message that I am forbidden access on that server. Are they just overloaded? It's annoying.

29. Catherine M

I've noticed that the server on TWOP has been overloaded lately. Maybe they are doing an upgrade?

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think it would be very interesting if the Amazing Race portrayed black people as stereotypically as they do gay people... :yikes: