TAR: Hockey players, roller derby moms, and the mullet to end all mullets

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

New season tonight :cheer2: And they go to Phil's hometown of Christchurch, NZ this season. Sadly, no hotties this time. :(

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Did I hear the preview correctly? Three teams will quit ? What the hell? I'd love to be on this show. What sort of weird stuff did they have to eat? :p (and can't you just take a time penalty?)

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm ready and waiting for the race to start!

4. rfisher

They didn't quit the show, just the task.

The twist this season is the winner of the first round gets an extra express pass to give to another team by the 4th leg. Lots of sucking up ahead.

Lots of physically fit teams this year. The You Tube duo will annoy me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

6. PrincessLeppard

Okay, so since my bout with skin cancer, I pretty much avoid the sun, but Bora Bora looks gorgeous. I will just wear a burqa. :)

7. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

My daughter used to subscribe to the YouTube channel of....er, whoever those people are. I should know, because she used to ask me to watch their vids every now and then.

I hope I like them better as racers than YouTube hosts.

And I want to go to Bora Bora! But I don't want to jump out of a helicopter.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Phil Keoghan is live tweeting during the broadcast.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Oh, I totally want to jump out of a helicopter some day!

10. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I have TAR on in HD and the pictures from Bora Bora are basically making me melt inside :swoon:

11. PrincessLeppard

I will jump, but they will need to bleep the footage of me because it's just going to be one long f-word all the way down. ;)

12. rfisher

I did a tandem sky dive in Arkansas in November. It would be a lot more fun in the tropics in the summer and the outrigger would be so much fun. The sand castles, not so much.

13. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

The sand castle challenge looks deadly. Ugh.

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Phil was tweeting about how you just can't understand the impact of the heat.

15. PrincessLeppard

I don't understand people who go on TAR who either can't swim or fear water. Wouldn't you work on that before you go? I don't like heights, but for a million bucks, I will deal with it.

16. rfisher

Doctors are major whiners. Both of them. Hmmmm....if three teams all skip the task and take the time penalty, who gets to cross the mat first?

17. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

All of them? :EVILLE:

(Although I do like the firefighters so far)

ETA: read that wrong... :lol: Thought you asked who gets axed first :p

18. rfisher

Well, that is the key point. :lol: I like the firefighters too. I have a nephew named Matt. So, they agree. Bit of strategy. Awwww.....done in by not being able to sit up straight in a canoe.

19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I thought they'd go much further than this considering their experience as partners in stressful situations. Oh well.

20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the fern is precious!

i dont like these random luck of the draw challenges like those cursed haystacks

21. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Have mixed emotions about random luck moving the Roller moms from last to fourth. But that's the nature of the race.

Will be in the minority but I loved the bitchy newly weds! :EVILLE:

22. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Liking the season so far...think the bitchy newly weds are going to be fun to watch!!

Am in love with Bora Bora... and have been for years and this show has not changed that one iota.

Sand castle challenge. Yikes. That was awful.

23. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Bora Bora is simply breathtaking.

First roadblock = :cheer:
    Second roadblock = :scream:

I'm sorry to see the firefighters go. I kinda don't like the country singers that much, I wish they had been eliminated instead. In general I don't like any team who says "if we have to flirt our way to win the race, we're on", I mean, come on.

No team annoys me too much (YET) so it's impossible to predict who will make it far :lol:

Next week's preview: Okay so, if you're NOT planning on sticking to your word then don't form an alliance in the first place. Oh and it looks like we'll have our first injury of the season, but "ruptured Achilles", hmm I don't know... I hope he's wrong, because a ruptured Achilles means you're out.

Looking good so far. Can't wait for next week.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Please Lord, if there is ever a fire in my building, please don't let the firefighters who arrive on scene be not only quitters...but also useless at physical activity. :yikes:

What's with all these people who don't wear proper headgear (or sunglasses) in the heat?? :duh: And I don't think the sand castle competition was completely random. All you had to do was knock over a mound of sand, throw that sand back into a bucket and turn the bucket upside down. Have we ever seen such a large group of whiny, lazy lardasses as last night? Three teams quit their task? Honestly, the producers can't find people who truly want to be on this show?? :soapbox:

25. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

The country singer that quit, Jennifer is the grand daughter of John Wayne. You know he was rolling over in his grave over her quitting just cause it got a little hard!

That said, I'm glad she and partner(the one's that descendant from Daniel Boone) beat the boring firemen to the bathmat and are still it.

26. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I know Phil said something about not understanding the impact of the heat, but I'm pretty sure I also heard someone say they had only been at it 3 hours. I'm sorry, but even in the heat, I would not quit after only 3 hours. But then again I wasn't there so who knows. Hell I think I might have let the other two teams quit and still keep looking because you figure you needed about an hour for that boat challenge (maybe less), so that gives me 3 hours to still keep looking and have a shot to beat the quitters. I mighta found it on the very next castle. I think I would have kept going and taken a shot at finding the clue knowing I had a good 3 hours to still keep looking to finish ahead of the penalty takers.

Was it me, or did Phil seem very ticked off that 3 teams quit the challenge. He barely even talked to those teams on The Mat, and did he even utter a word to the firemen except you have been eliminated? Don't remember now, but I got the impression he hates it when people quit a task and just accept the 4 hour penalty.

So new rule for next round ... make it a 12 hour or even a 24 hour penalty for quitting a task. Then let's see who quits. In most cases, a 4 hour penalty is pretty much negated anyway if there is travel ahead and waiting for flights, or waiting for some attraction to open, etc. Make it a bigger hit so its a bigger risk in quitting.

27. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Oh ... and I absolutely HATE that Bride-Beyotch. :p

28. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

As terrible as the hay bales were, at least they didn't have to roll them back up again for other teams to waste time looking through. Or worse, forgetting which ones you've done and doing them again. So I can see how frustrating a seemingly simple task like the sandcastles could be. You could potentially waste your time doing the same ones over and over; especially if you were a later team where the field was probably all choppy and most of the clues already taken.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

THIS! I thought the firemen would be the lone holdouts and not take the wussy penalty. It seemed a no-brainer! Let the other two moron teams race to the mat, while the other team finds the clue in under four hours and glides on in ahead of them. And I thought Phil seemed pissy, too.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How hot was it?
    Sand/sun reflect heat back onto a person; so it must have been brutal, especially over several hours exposure.