TAR: 3/20 Don't Ruin the Basketball Game

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

And running late due to what? A basketball game. Certainly wouldn't want to ruin that.

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

We're on time in Canada.

Wait till you see the three on three Basketball game between the Globetrotters, the Cowboys and Kisha and Jen. :D

3. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Stupid March Madness! (I wouldn't be bitching if my team hadn't lost and my bracket wasn't clubbed to death :p)

New intro clips for the teams! :cheer2:

4. AragornElessar

Kynt and Vyxsin just U Turned Jaime and Cara while both teams were on the mat. The Goths just barely beat the Reds to the mat and I do mean barely. They were honest about it though and told the girls it was the only way they could survive past this leg and did say they were sorry. Better to be honest about it, but I doubt JaiME and Cara will see it that way.

5. rfisher

That was a lot of Goth angst for nothing.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

There is a heck of a lot of bunching in this episode.

7. Fridge_Break

I love the polar opposites for the detour choices. Both seem to have their pros and cons, and I think either side are pretty equally balanced.

ETA: I also love the random costumes they've been making them wear this season just for shits and giggles. :lol:

8. AragornElessar

ITA...Those yellow mop hats were quite fetching on a few teams. :lol: :D :lol:

9. rfisher

I could build that dinosaur. I rearticulated a seal skeleton on a Mexican beach once upon a time.

Go Cowboys. Smart move by Mallory and Dad.

10. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

*ponders adding rfisher as partner on TAR*

How are you with a stick shift?

11. Fridge_Break

I don't care what anyone says, that episode was filled with intensity and suspense... penalties, U-turns, lots of placement shifting, and a footrace between teams 7 & 8 for good measure.. I loved the whole thing!

12. rfisher

No problem. If I were going to be on TAR, I'd learn to drive a freaking semi before I went to be prepared for whatever.

13. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Best episode I've seen in a long, long time.

Pretty impressive for both Jaime & Cara and the Trotters to get to the Roadblock ahead of a couple of other teams. Zev/Justin and Gary/Mallory's cabs really must have bled some time.

Why others didn't follow Jet's lead and study the diagram was beyond me. And Gary should at least tried to do the task before turning in the express pass. I guess it wasn't obvious just how much Justin, Christina and Jaime were struggling.

14. rfisher

I missed the end. Who was eliminated?

15. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Because running down to look at it is tiring and takes time, and you have to be cool, calm and collected to see that it might be worth it?

The redheads.

16. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Yeah. Plus, they probably thought they would win the first place prize. They just missed out on ten thousand dollars.

Great episode. Picking Kynt and Vyxyn for the game had me on pins and needles for much of the show.

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I thought it was down to Zev/Justin and the redheads and one of the guys said "it's down to 3 teams"...I had completely forgotten about Christina and Ron. And of course I had them as my suicide pick, so I was sure they'd be eliminated. Add in the native language speaking advantage and it would have been too perfect. :wall:

Who expected the Globetrotter to not only not be last but to have surpassed several teams? With no help from anyone else?!?

So glad the Goths were able to get it together :cheer2:

18. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Bu-bye JaiME and Cara!! Couldn't have happened to a better team!! muhaha!!!! :p

Now if only I could get Margie/Luke off my TV, I would be a happy camper.

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

So the annoying thing about this episode is that it continues the "u-turns always eliminate a team" streak. But the u-turn really was not the reason (though it did slow them down, off course), because even with the u-turn the redheads still started the dinosaur task well in front of other racers (including the team THEY u-turned).

20. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

According to some eye witnesses that saw the leg, Jaime and Cara didn't check in till 90 minutes after Justin/Zev and Ron/Christina though Jaime probably didn't try very hard to finish the task after those two teams left.

Jaime & Cara had a decent shot at staying in the race when they did so well with the doll task and Justin/Zev got to the dinosaur task late and Christina struggled too but for whatever reason, Jaime just couldn't pull things together.

Next week looks good. Always enjoy a good India episode.

21. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Jaime wimped out big time. I'm not sorry to see the two of them go, even though it hurts me in the Suicide game. I did not like them at all.

I am however thrilled to see Jet and Cord kick butt! I like them and the Trotters (who were just in my neck of the woods over the weekend; by all reports Big Easy is a great guy in person!). Kent certainly seemed whiny this leg. And now that Gary and Mallory have given up the Express Pass, I wonder how long they can survive.

22. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Loved the impromptu bball game w/ the cheerleaders. Fun.

The "dating Goths" (still? really?) had to have had the worst leg in TAR history and yet are still alive.

Loved the skeleton challenge.

23. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

This was a great leg--had me on pins and needles the entire show! And I am so glad the Redheads are out! Finally!!! Cara isn't so bad, but Jaime is just a sore loser, a whiner, and a complete pain in the ass.

I didn't know that Margie had a grandson. Did I miss something? I always thought that Luke was an only child....someone fill me in.

I would have cried if I had had to do that dinosaur task. It looked hard. And, I could see being tired if you had done the solar task first and then had to do that one.

I don't know who I am going to pick next in the suicide game. Everybody's bunched up, seems like, so this next leg could go to anybody. If I keep following the preview pattern, Margie & Luke would be the obvious choice. But, that feels ominous. I'm going to have to come up with a new plan.

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Loved Jaime at the mat: I knew we were gone but I think Cara really wanted me to finish the task Cara: YES. I. DID. :angryfire

25. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:kickass: Outstanding episode! A definite Emmy contender. :kickass:

:cheer: Loved it:

Actually challenging challenges ... brain teasers with some physicality needed, and a reward for those who were methodical and careful.

Jet & Cord winning that leg due to Jet's rocking a (sorta) puzzle challenge, a huge difference from his hopelessness in the 1st episode puzzle challenge.

:) Liked it:

The Trotters running an entire leg without following, copying, or getting advice from fellow racers. In fact, they may have been the only lone wolf team this leg. The big boys ran well, even though their droning on about the "double U-Turn, baby!" was a bit tiresome.

The sisters' consistency is VERY impressive. Seems that they rarely fail at directions or challenges; it will probably take bad luck to get them out before finals. I'm hoping they are IN the finals, though.

:blah: Didn't enjoy it:

Get out of China, already! In fact, get out of Asia, already. Recent seasons just linger on this continent. :mad: The Americas wuzrobbed! I want more Brazilian, Argentine, and Venezuelian :grope:. And ... why doesn't TAR (US) visit Canada?

The 7 hours bunching after the "extended leg" pitstop. As opposed to the opening leg EL, which bunched the teams but did not completely equalize, this EL made the first half completely meaningless. K&V had a good leg, and their U-turning of the Reds was smart. But, they should've had a far more impacting deficit to make up. I'm not as enamored by this pair as some of you. K&V are too whiney, and they're a lie. They are neither "dating" (he's gayer than Richard Simmons*) nor are they "goths" (goths don't wear cute little hoodies with puppy ear cutouts, nor sparkly pants).

*In fairness, I'm thinking the "dating" subtitle, as well as not mentioning Luke's sexuality this time around (nor Kisha's?) is CBS's mechanism to package them for family hour santitation purposes.

26. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

They seem to be flying under the radar this time. Hmmm.... Makes me wish I hadn't picked them so early on in the Suicide game.

Which I don't understand, because they've had married/dating gay couples in the past.

27. Fridge_Break

I just went back and checked, while they've had gay individuals on seasons (the brothers in season 15, Luke, Kisha, one of the brothers that won season 16) the only openly-dating gay couples that have been cast on the show since the first All-Star season have been Kate & Pat (who went out early in season 12) and Carol & Brandy from season 16. All-Stars had the Guidos and Oswald & Danny, although I don't think the latter were dating, at least during the time of filming. Excluding these returnees, you'd have to go all the way back to season 10's Tom & Terry for a gay male couple to be cast on the show. It's quite unfortunately, IMO.

28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Niether Kisha nor Luke is dating their partner, so it isn't as likely to come up. I wasn't aware that Kynt had come out and told people that he and Vyxin aren't really dating. Did that really happen? Last time around in interviews they definitely talked as if they were a couple.

29. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Last night 3 hours after AR ended I was watching HGTV's "House Hunters" & who should be house hunting? Mama Marion Paolo who was helping younger son, Brian, look for a condo in St. Louis for him to buy. He is now 21, college graduate & a very good looking young man. Towards the end of the show Dad Tony appeared but no older bro. DJ. (Family AR #8)

30. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Yeah, but that was still pretty awesome for them to make up time the way they did.

What is with all the helping and telling and sharing this time? I don't remember ever seeing anything quite like it. It's like The Congenial Race.

They are pretty awesome; they were last time, too, bathroom break and all. Very calm and methodical.

It did with the Little Brothers, quite a bit, although I think that was kind of part of their brother-conflict story line, such as it was.

I think TAR likes fairly simple labels for their pairs, and Dating Couple is just easier than "Friends With Interesting Personas." Um, Eric and Danielle, anyone? Although they were more like "Good Racer with Obnoxious Personality and Blonde with Large Breasts," which doesn't fit particularly well on the screen.

Cornfed likes this.